Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Read This xj owners!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Read This xj owners!!

So about 3 weeks ago i bought my first 1988 jeep cherokee laredo, 4x4.
I got him for $300. why so cheap becuase the timing chain went out.
of coarse it doesnt run, becuase its out of time.
anyways i brought it to my house 2 weeks ago, and i started gettin parts for it.
i take auto tech at sckool so you can bring your car to work on it if you want.
so i asked my teacher witch is the mechanic if i could bring it in to get it running again he said yeahh.
so bout 2 weeks ago i brought it in the shop, (they dont charge me nothing since am a student AWSOME) and i started takin the whole front jeep apart to get to the timing chain, i go threw hell just to get all that crap off! When its off my teacher comes by and tells me to get a new chain, so i did i went to auto parts and they dident have it in stock, had to wait 4 days for it to get here, and i allready had payed for it. anyways i come in today to put the chain on right and my teacher is like i told you to get the timing set not just the chain, i was like you never told me to get the set you just told me to get the chain. then he said if i dont get the set that he was gana kick the jeep out and i couldent work on it anymore. That right there pissed me off soo bad that i just wanted to knock his teeth out. how the hell are you gana come and tell me i need the set after i paid and waited 4 days for the chain to get here, now your gana tell me your going to kick my jeep out if i dont get the set like WTF? so i go home today and i told my dad about it and he got so pissed that he went and rented a dolly at u-haul and were going to go pick it up tommarow.
I just felt like tellin you guys about it becuase thats some staright bull crap.
i mean how would you guys feel if that happend to you.

Any ways, am going to pick it up tommaorw, and am going to be workin on it all next week when were off for vacation.
hopefully i get him running!

Last edited by 88Cherokee4x4; 11-20-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

yeah id be pretty pissed if that happened, when i took auto tech in high school i never brought my jeep in cause i didnt like how everybody in the class would think its a toy and start sitting in it and playing with stuff, i had to physically pull one kid out of my jeep cause he wouldnt get out, the jeep was never brought in there again
Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cherokeeaddiction23
yeah id be pretty pissed if that happened, when i took auto tech in high school i never brought my jeep in cause i didnt like how everybody in the class would think its a toy and start sitting in it and playing with stuff, i had to physically pull one kid out of my jeep cause he wouldnt get out, the jeep was never brought in there again
Dam your just like my bud, me and him another bud were in the shop the other day and he was under the hood of his xj, and these kids with a teacher came out of no where and just started lookin inside the jeep, and lookin around it and crap, my bud got so pissed he got up and was like GO ON GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE, THIS AINT NONE YOUR BUSNISS! i was like ohh ****z. lol
He was serious though, half them kids ran, the other half got all pissed and started talkin ****z. put yeahh i mean dam
Old 11-18-2010, 03:48 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

well first off stay in school with that grammar!

2nd i used bring my cherokee and trans am to class. ended up getting suspended because i was changing out the torque arm bushing on the t/a and some kid kept ****ing with **** so ended up getting into it with him. anyways ended up making a bet with some douche bag saying my jeep cant do 110. it was a 96 4.0 ho with a chip. clearly got that easy 20
Old 11-18-2010, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

haha yeah i hated my autotech class, good thing i already knew alot of stuff because we had a terrible teacher and we never did anything, we took it upon ourselves to do something so we stripped down an xterra that the school gave us, but we almost got suspended for "defacing" school property which was bs, then we brought in halo and put it on all the computers and played against each other on lan in the class, loads of fun, but never did anything car related the rest of the year
Old 11-18-2010, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by cherokeeaddiction23
haha yeah i hated my autotech class, good thing i already knew alot of stuff because we had a terrible teacher and we never did anything, we took it upon ourselves to do something so we stripped down an xterra that the school gave us, but we almost got suspended for "defacing" school property which was bs, then we brought in halo and put it on all the computers and played against each other on lan in the class, loads of fun, but never did anything car related the rest of the year
sounds like my auto tech class this year except my teach is a hard *** but a pushover at the same time, makes you do alot more work then you should but at the same time when you want to work on something of your own he dosent ask questions and lets you do it whenever you want. that and make excuses for just bsing for half the period. i can work on my jeep there but i dont really want to due to the fact that theres about 8 of us who have a damn clue about what the auto in automotive means and about 12 other people who sit and stare at an engine and expect it to take its self apart of fix itself. Senior year is just one long @$$ joke that lasts 9 months.

Last edited by XxXJ99xX; 11-18-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

If I were you id be pretty pissed myself. I took autotech my freshman year in HS, I never dared take me firebird or jeep in there. All the kids in the class would probably start jumping on it and stuff. Sure its nice that you get stuff worked on for free but I dont think its worth the headache. I rather jsut do everything at home. Only thing I ever brought to shop class were a set of wheels and tires to get mounted and I did it myself so no worries there.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by sam24th
If I were you id be pretty pissed myself. I took autotech my freshman year in HS, I never dared take me firebird or jeep in there. All the kids in the class would probably start jumping on it and stuff. Sure its nice that you get stuff worked on for free but I dont think its worth the headache. I rather jsut do everything at home. Only thing I ever brought to shop class were a set of wheels and tires to get mounted and I did it myself so no worries there.
Yeahh **** That, am bringing it back home, and ama get it started, i dont need no one to be tellin me what to do with my baby. lol

Last edited by JeepingDan; 11-20-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Please watch the language.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 PM

Year: 2001

What is up with high school auto classes these days. I took both a high performance engines class and a auto maintenance class in high school and they were both a JOKE. The same work was done in both classes and the teacher even told us if we had done all the paperwork in one class we could turn in that same work for the other class. About 95% of the class was spent sittin on the computers surfin the internet.

I also took a metals class which was actually VERY helpful. Took my jeep into the auto shop class a few times to use the welder to tack bumper pieces together (metals class didnt have a large door to fit the jeep in), the whole time I was in there the auto shop teacher was asking me all sorts of questions about my jeep and about my bumpers like he had no clue. I thought it was only my school where auto shop class was a joke, the teacher there literally knows ****, I could have tought that class.
Well theres my ranting on high school auto class lol.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Most of the high school auto shop teachers have been out of the loop for close to 20 years, they're way behind the times. Throw them a Quadrajet carb and a Torqueflite 727, they can do it. Toss them a modern fuel injection system and they will be lost.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tjfritz325
What is up with high school auto classes these days. I took both a high performance engines class and a auto maintenance class in high school and they were both a JOKE. The same work was done in both classes and the teacher even told us if we had done all the paperwork in one class we could turn in that same work for the other class. About 95% of the class was spent sittin on the computers surfin the internet.

I also took a metals class which was actually VERY helpful. Took my jeep into the auto shop class a few times to use the welder to tack bumper pieces together (metals class didnt have a large door to fit the jeep in), the whole time I was in there the auto shop teacher was asking me all sorts of questions about my jeep and about my bumpers like he had no clue. I thought it was only my school where auto shop class was a joke, the teacher there literally knows ****, I could have tought that class.
Well theres my ranting on high school auto class lol.
wow and i thought only we had a joke of a teacher for autotech, it was so bad that whenver we hear the words auto and tech in the same sentence we just laugh, it was terrible, and now after i graduate they have learned so much with the new teacher, im even bringing my jeep in to get it aligned, we never touched he alignment machine, pretty much our classes consisted of us a) surfin the internet b) playing halo against each other and c) goofing off in the shop and shooting water bottle across the shop with an air compressor
Old 11-19-2010, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

this is our autotech class, thats me in the beginning counting down, i have tons more where this came from haha

Last edited by cherokeeaddiction23; 11-19-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:46 AM

Year: 2001

Our auto tech class had a brand new ford crate motor among other engines donated to the class to use for teaching. Did any students ever touch these? NO. They sat in a storage room locked. We also had an in-floor dyno (slightly out dated), that was never used. The teacher was to lazy to do anything at all. Most of the kids who took this class were pot heads and kids who just wanted an easy grade so all they wanted to do was sit on the computers. Pisses me off that this is what auto tech classes have come to when theres kids like me and you out there actually wanting to learn.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Well apprently all the autotech classes around here are just garbage, my friend who went to a different HS took his camary in to get a new CD player put in. He had the wiring harness, dash install kit and CD player, everything you need and the teacher couldnt figuire out how to install it. He ended up asking me and I got it done in 30mins and I got 20bux out of it.

Quick Reply: Read This xj owners!!