Radio problems....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Radio problems....

So I have a little neon that I don't drive anymore that had an older aftermarket radio installed. I was tired of not having a radio, so I took it out and installed it in my XJ, got the wiring harness (already had from other radio before it was stolen from XJ) plugged it up and it powered on eq worked, changes stations fine volume display increases when **** is turned but no sound.....no static, no nothing....are wiring harnesses proprietary to radios? If it matters this one is pioneer but the harness I used was bought when I had a kenwood. Can anyone help me out? I can answer questions to the best of my ability if I didn't describe it well enough. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 AM

Bump.....
Old 03-22-2012, 01:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by ubesbetchoass
So I have a little neon that I don't drive anymore that had an older aftermarket radio installed. I was tired of not having a radio, so I took it out and installed it in my XJ, got the wiring harness (already had from other radio before it was stolen from XJ) plugged it up and it powered on eq worked, changes stations fine volume display increases when **** is turned but no sound.....no static, no nothing....are wiring harnesses proprietary to radios? If it matters this one is pioneer but the harness I used was bought when I had a kenwood. Can anyone help me out? I can answer questions to the best of my ability if I didn't describe it well enough. Thanks in advance!
Are you sure they didn't steal your speakers, too? Wiring harnesses are proprietary but as long as you used the one that was plugged into the radio you got from the Neon and spliced it into the harness adapter you already had on your XJ, it should be working. I would double check your speaker connections (and double check that your speakers are there).
Old 03-22-2012, 01:48 AM

I know my speakers are still there I just took my door panel off the other day to inspect the window regulator. And u have to take the panel off to get to them. But I did t use the one I took from the neon I just used the one I had originally in the XJ so this is the problem then, but I hooked it up twice. Once with the harnesses from the neon and then again after I re-wired it with the one I currently had..... :-/
Old 03-22-2012, 02:36 AM
CF Veteran

Most aftermarket head units have a wire harness that plugs into the back of the head unit. The wires on that harness are to be spliced into the factory harness or into a factory harness adapter (so you don't have to cut the factory harness). While most manufacturer's have conformed to a certain color standard (black is ground, yellow is 12v constant, red is 12v ignition, blue is amp signal, orange is illumination) the pin locations are not universal. I would recommend using the harness and plug that go with the head unit you removed from the Neon which means you'll probably have to cut it from the Neon harness. Make sure that when you do, you leave enough lead to splice into the Cherokee harness.

As an option, you can use the harness in the Neon to identify what leads go where and wire accordingly but that may get confusing. The easiest solution is to just harvest the head unit plug and wires from the Neon.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:47 AM

Thanks so much for ur advice F1, I think I might bypass it all together though and just install a factory radio back in I don't listen to CDs and I have a factory one in another neon I have that i was going to take the trams out and swap on the two. It just has a tape deck but I can get the tape to 3.5 head jack and use my iPhone. Not the best audio but it's better than singing to myself wile I drive lol now since you've been so helpful, maybe you'll know this. The neon I think I'm going to take the stock radio out of does have a cd player but not connected...stock but mounted below the ad controls. Do u think I could make a few mods and maybe get that in there like I said I don't really use CDs BUT I think if I could get that hooked up it would look pretty nice and appear to be stock. Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 AM

bump....
Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

I see no reason why that won't work. Ultimately, every car radio (OEM or aftermarket) has a 12v power lead, a ground, a 12v ignition lead, and a bunch of speaker wires. Figure out what wires are what on both ends, connect them, and you're good to go. As far as the CD player, based on other research I've done, it just plugs into the back of the head unit with either an 8-pin DIN (round) connector or an ISO type (rectangular multi-pin) connector. You'll know more when you get both units out of the Neon.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Hey man, you may all the information I'm about to say or you may not but I just feel better saying it all at once.

Alright, each aftermarket radio (also called receiver) comes with a wiring harness in the package. This is to connect the aftermarket radio to the factory wires. HOWEVER, sometimes you must get adapters for the vehicle you are installing it into. For example, I have a Sony receiver and I had to get and adapter harness to link the harness that came with the Sony...so that I could finally link to the factory harness. In the end it goes...Factory harness that is stuck there in Jeep...to the adapter harness which has one side with the grey and black plastic blocks to lock into factory harness and the other end has all the colorful loose wires...these colorful wires then connect to the colorful wires on the Sony harness which has a plastic block on the other end to connect to the receiver.

DO NOT cut any factory wires because this will cause you the most unbelievable pain ever. Leave them with the plastic grey and black connector blocks.

Here is a link to the adapter to connect the factory harness to the aftermarket harness
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207018...ss.html?tp=736

Hope this helped at all...if not then someone else may use it. I installed my own receivers and others before so any questions feel free to ask.

Does your factory unit work when it was installed?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:09 PM

Thank u guys so much! I appreciate it alot. I'm going to attempting somthing this week so I'll keep the threw posted if I can/can't figure it out.