Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick Death Wobble Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a case of the death wobbles usually around 50 to 60 mph when ever I hit a small bump. I have a 4.5" lifted 1998 Jeep XJ 4wd It's got 33" tires.. I have an adjustable IRO track bar. I have replaced all the tie rod ends, all nuts and bolts on tie rods and track bar are tight, ball joints appear to be good according to the test. I checked the toe in and it's not more than 1/4" toed in. Steering stabilizer is good. It pulls slightly left but not much. The two things that I have left to check is the tire balance and a drop pitman arm(I have one but haven't put it on yet) I work at discount tire so I can balance the tires myself.. But my main question is how much could a tire balance and pitman arm contribute to the wobbles?!

Last edited by JustEmptyEveryPocket1998; 04-04-2016 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by JustEmptyEveryPocket1998
I've had a case of the death wobbles usually around 50 to 60 mph when ever I hit a small bump. I have a 4.5" lifted 1998 Jeep XJ 4wd It's got 33" tires.. I have an adjustable IRO track bar. I have replaced all the tie rod ends, all nuts and bolts on tie rods and track bar are tight, ball joints appear to be good according to the test. I checked the toe in and it's not more than 1/4" toed in. Steering stabilizer is good. It pulls slightly left but not much. The two things that I have left to check is the tire balance and a drop pitman arm(I have one but haven't put it on yet) I work at discount tire so I can balance the tires myself.. But my main question is how much could a tire balance and pitman arm contribute to the wobbles?!
The problem with the basic design is that just about anything can lead to DW. Imbalanced tires can DEFINITELY be a cause, especially 33s, that's a lot of weight. Check the rod end at the pitman arm, also check your control arm bushings and unit(wheel) bearings.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you get a alignment after the lift ?
Old 04-04-2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by TwistedWrench
The problem with the basic design is that just about anything can lead to DW. Imbalanced tires can DEFINITELY be a cause, especially 33s, that's a lot of weight. Check the rod end at the pitman arm, also check your control arm bushings and unit(wheel) bearings.
okay, I did replace that pitman arm rod end, just not the pitman arm drop itself. I'll balance those tires at work and take it from there!
Old 04-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Check your track bar bushings, particularly the frame side. Every case of death wobble I know of has been a track bar bushing end issue - either wallowing out of the hole or the bushing has play. Kevin's Off Road sells a super hard durometer track bar bushing, or just go to a Johnny Joint on the frame end.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by thebyus
Check your track bar bushings, particularly the frame side. Every case of death wobble I know of has been a track bar bushing end issue - either wallowing out of the hole or the bushing has play. Kevin's Off Road sells a super hard durometer track bar bushing, or just go to a Johnny Joint on the frame end.
I don't think that bushing is bad, I bought that track bar from iron rock off-road maybe 6-7 months ago and never had an issue with it when it was on my other jeep.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:40 AM

But it will still happen quite frequently. I was driving down a somewhat bumpier road and almost every single bump I hit it will start too shake a little and increasingly get worse, which then I would have to stop and then start again for it only to start shaking on the very next bump! It happens around 40-55 mph
Old 04-08-2016, 08:32 AM
CF Veteran

Did you get a real alignment after you put the lift on it?
Old 04-09-2016, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Did you get a real alignment after you put the lift on it?
not yet, I'm going to have it done soon probably, do jeeps have camber or just toe and caster?
Old 04-09-2016, 02:29 AM
CF Veteran

The driveway alignment will get you close but you need a real one to get it right.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JustEmptyEveryPocket1998
not yet, I'm going to have it done soon probably, do jeeps have camber or just toe and caster?
If your Cherokee PULLS a little or at all, your alinement is off and needs to be set correctly.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:20 AM
CF Veteran

If its not the alignment then its ball joints or the unit bearings.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Assume all your joints are good, then it's alignment. Lifts love more caster and insure the toe is 1/16 to 3/16 in. 1/4 toe in seems too much.
Are your Hub Bearings in good condition. Worn out hub bearings will put alignment off and add to vibrations. Rotate by hand without the tires on. Smooth and tight or do you feel and growlies or roughness?
Alternatively if your alignment is good, then it's the joints. Even one bad joint can give a lifted XJ with extra weight in the rubber the shakes.
If alignment and joints are good, then it's the rubber. A bad balance or broken internal belt can result in DWobble.
If that's all good, then how are the control arm bushings?
If all that is good then are u centered?
You have 4.5 and adjustable track bar. Is the axle centered? Measure chasis to wheel both sides. Adjust track bar to center the axle so mesurements are equal. Recheck your toe and alignment. I use long string round all tires to help alignment check.
If all that is good, them the drop pitman arm. The track bar and drag link need to be aligned, angle the same from mount points, both bars parallel to each other. Sit in from of your truck and have a good long look. If the angle of the two bars is different decide if the drop pittman will correct.
After each change physical change, check your settings.
If all that is good, how are your shocks and damper?
Guess the bottom line is, once modifications start, the balance of the systems becomes more critical. It takes some time to maintain adjustments. Adjustments won't compensate for any bad/loose parts. When we add weight of the new bigger tires, the system is more stressed. Parts will have reduced life spans, so check parts conditions more often.