Question Jeep Peeps

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Question Jeep Peeps

So if I didn't post in the right place. I have a question and need some help/advice. I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 . I recently had a new tranny put in which cost a good penny. Long story short it drove fine for about 6-8 weeks, as of 2 days ago on my way home from work it starts acting up/weird. I was pulling out into traffic and gave the Jeep some gas to merge out and it shifted funny ,as if it kinda slipped. Then ran fine. Yesterday same spot as the day before in traffic it did it again but I actually felt it slip, them as I continue driving I noticed that it wasn't shifting I was doing 40 mph and was at 3,200 RPM and sounded like it was winding (which it was) and couldn't get it to shift. Almost as if it couldn't figure out what gear it needed to be in. Took it back to the mechanic and they drove it but could not get it to act up again. Basically said thru could not help me unless they have it act up on them. Any advice on what I can do ? Thoughts??
Old 07-16-2015, 08:26 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Adjust your TV cable?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Engine: I6

Whenever you first take off while the jeep is cold does it rev up and hold onto an rpm for a second or so then shift. If so, the do what cruiser said and report back.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:46 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. No , it doesn't do anything funny upon start up. I tried to contact the people who done the install about what was going on and they said that if indeed it was the kick down then they would have to send it back. They said if they opened up the tranny it would void the warranty. Not to sure I believe/understand that but, crazy thing is I have TRIED my best to make it act up again. Since those 2 days in a row it hasn't happened again. Which is absolutely puzzling me !! It seems to shift fine most of the time, and even when it has a longer shift I'm not sure that's not in my mind lol. I'm just terrified that something is wrong with this new tranny. Now I don't know what to do because the shop said they couldn't do anything to help me unless they could duplicate what happened to me that day. Don't really agree with that but don't know what else to do either !
Old 07-22-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 99 sport
Engine: 4.0 i6

sorry about your transmission, but the hand in that video is going to haunt my dreams tonight.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:21 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by Tattoodude
Sorry for the delayed response. No , it doesn't do anything funny upon start up. I tried to contact the people who done the install about what was going on and they said that if indeed it was the kick down then they would have to send it back. They said if they opened up the tranny it would void the warranty. Not to sure I believe/understand that but, crazy thing is I have TRIED my best to make it act up again. Since those 2 days in a row it hasn't happened again. Which is absolutely puzzling me !! It seems to shift fine most of the time, and even when it has a longer shift I'm not sure that's not in my mind lol. I'm just terrified that something is wrong with this new tranny. Now I don't know what to do because the shop said they couldn't do anything to help me unless they could duplicate what happened to me that day. Don't really agree with that but don't know what else to do either !
Did you try/do what Cruiser posted???

Originally Posted by XJUSMC
but the hand in that video is going to haunt my dreams tonight.
Why? its just a zombie mechanic hand..

Last edited by Dumajones; 07-22-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:25 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by Dumajones
Did you try/do what Cruiser posted???

Why? its just a zombie mechanic hand..
Nah. Don't be doin no cruiser stuff, yo!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:35 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Nah. Don't be doin no cruiser stuff, yo!
Most people don't bra!

Last edited by Dumajones; 07-22-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:45 PM

Finally got some time off work. Will be trying to adjust the kick down cable tomorrow. I'm really out of ideas on the Jeep this time. Man I've put a lot of money into it and was hoping this would be it for a while. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to put the whole fuel pump assembly on it also. Which is no big deal really, but if the tranny is acting weird I don't want to keep throwing money at it. I've got to say the thought has crossed my mind to get rid of it. I really don't want to. Good news is I haven't been able to make the tranny mess up again. Bad news is I don't think a transmission can just have a fluke happen 2 days in a row and then everything be ok. I mean could there be something else besides the kick down cable ? I guess I'm just throwing crap out there because I'm super bummed. Wasn't expecting to have any more transmission issues. But will be trying what Cruiser posted in the morning!