Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question About Buying Another Jeep - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Question About Buying Another Jeep - Please Help!

Hello!

I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Country 4x4 and it's been a good vehicle for us. We are in need of another vehicle and hubby wants to get another jeep.

I like the looks of the Liberty, but hubby wants to stick with the Cherokee 4x4. He says that they are built to last forever, and the engine in it is different and built to last forever, something about straight inline 6 or something like that. Some are also saying to stay away from the Grand Cherokees because they are no good.

So, my question is.....is the engine and trans in the Liberty really different from the old Cherokees? Is the older Cherokee really much different?

If so, what year should I be looking to buy? Is the 1994 model basically the same as the newer 2000 or 2001 models?

We really can't afford to make a mistake, and I want to buy one that will last till 300k miles if possible. Hubby thinks the older models were built better but we aren't sure.

Hoping that some of you more knowledgeable people will help us decide what to do.

Thank you!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly im with your husband the inline 6 in the cherokee is a really old design so they have had a long time to get it perfect.The Liberty has a 4 cylinder or a v6 both are ok the main problem with it is a ifs 4x4.A ifs 4x4 does ride better on the streets but off road is kinda crap.On the cherokee 98 and older are the best to buy 99-01 have a head that can crack if over heated too much.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

The Libertys are not as good as the Cherokees. The Grand Cherokees are okay but have more things to break. 4.0 I6 are great so make sure you get one in a Grand and not the 4.7. My vote is for the XJ is you want 300,000mi
Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Libertys are garbage, period. The engines in them arent bad, but for the utility aspect, they do not even come close to comparing with the cherokee. Cherokees use a solid front axle, where libertys use IFS (independent front suspension) which is completely inferior off road, but..it does have a nicer on rode ride. Ive owned and built 2 Cherokees, 1 was an 88, the other a 98. The 98 was definately more comfortable, and had more features..but both were the same platform (obviously)..same I6 4.0 engine (the 98 had the high output), same t case, same transmission..etc. Grand cherokees (older ones such as the ZJ, and the WJ) both had options that included the i6 4.0 enginge we all love, others used the god awful v8. I also own a 2007 Jeep Commander, its our "Family" vehicle. Its comfortable, looks nice, tons of space inside, engine is a little lacking but still its alright..The same engine used in the v6 commanders is used in the libertys..its a 3.7 or 3.8 (cant remember) v6 engine.. Decent little engine, but lacking in my opinion. If your looking for it to be a commuter, or just something to go to the grocery store in or buzz around town, a liberty is an ok choice...just dont expect it to be very capable offroad in comparrision to the cherokee.

As far as grand cherokees or other jeep models..If I was buying another newer jeep..id buy a new JK (4 door wrangler)..If i was forced to buy something other than a solid axle vehicle, id go with a brand new grand cherokee.. However, grand cherokees have so many features, electrical woes eventually will find you...and they suck. So...conclusion..I vote for another cherokee if your going to be using it as a small familiy (3 maybe 4 people) and some trail riding, liberty if your not going off the pavement.

Look into the commander though..seriously..more room.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Banned

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L i6

A 1997-2001 Cherokee can be bought for a song. A very nice one can be had for $3000 with 125k or less. Think of how much cheaper that is than a Liberty!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

agreed. a cherokee can handle so much more. yes the oil leaks are annoyin. but u can literlly wreck the crap out of them and they will still start and drive u to ur last destination. they are very reliable. they are a lil high maintenence. but if u just keep the oil changed and the lil things goin. and do the services a cherokee can hit about 500k. Liberties are crap in everyway. I would use my gas guzzlin ironclad 4.0 anyday over the plastic and computer ridden engines they use now a days in most makes. stick with cherkoee. ur husband most likely already has experiance with them and how to maintain them. so stick with what u know. it will go easir on u both. cherkoees can basically handle anythin u throw at them and spit it right back out the badass way. not only that. but u will get added perk of the Jeep wave! Liberty drivers dont get the jeep wave lol neither do compasses.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

I wana see a stock Liberty do this and still be able to drive home! Not possible haha

Name:  IMG_0982.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  58.8 KB

On a more serious note:

My buddys girlfriend owns one of the new libertys and yes it is a smooth ride and all but those new jeeps arnt built to last and have horrible offroad capability(from what i've heard).

Last edited by SacXJguy; 11-28-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SacXJguy

My buddys girlfriend owns one of the new libertys and yes it is a smooth ride and all but those new jeeps arnt built to last and have horrible offroad capability(from what i've heard).
yeah. i mean Jeep does try to stick true to their offroadin. but it seems like all makes well. the offroad becomes more of somethin they tossed in there. no matter what new "technology" they claim to put in there just seems to make it a worse 4x4er. i think the only jeep thats managed to stick to known methods is the wrangler and one othewr i think cant think of the name.

but yah. like when AbS brakes systems came out. everyone assumed that makes u stop sooner... no it just prevents lock up. sometimes it takes longer to stop if u have ABS brakes. Independent suspension is a joke.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I live back in the sticks its funny in the winter time how many newer yuppie awd suvs i see in the ditch.Most ifs 4x4s i have been under have a lot less ground clearance then something with a solid axle under it.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Banned

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L i6

Originally Posted by jeeperscreepers92
Independent suspension is a joke.
Why is this bad? (I don't know much about suspensions)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper
Why is this bad? (I don't know much about suspensions)
Solid axles are usually better. Stronger, and they're MUCH easier to lift than Independent Suspensions.

Plus with independent suspensions, you would lose more power and torque to the wheels than solid axles. Independent suspensions have individual axles to each wheel, so that means more torque is needed to be distributed throughout the vehicle. Plus, those axles can pivot around, so some torque is lost within that joint. With solid axles, it's moving as one whole unit, and they can't pivot.

IFS has the smoother ride and landing . but they are more vulneerable to break. Solid axles are better over all especially the higher the Dana u go the stronger they get. srry my typin is gettin worse... i need a smoke..
Solid axles are more useful for goin heavy duty offroadin. but IFS is more like having AWD. sounds the same as 4wd but is not by far. imagine a CV half shaft at each weel... they are a PITA to work with...