quality of Rusty's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default quality of Rusty's?

I ordered a 2" budget lift from rubicon express. Been on back order to over a month. What is your opinon of the quality of Rusty's? They have a 3" lift that is the SAME price, it also comes with springs, RE comes with spacers.

thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

I have a 4.5 inch Rustys add-a-leaf kit and I love it. The only bad thing that I have with it is that it rides rough on really bumpy roads, and can feel everyone of those bumps . But on good roads it rides great. Overall, I say Rustys is good.

And yes, I also liked the price of the kit. RE was like 1100 or something like that. Shipping was fast too.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by brifle
I ordered a 2" budget lift from rubicon express. Been on back order to over a month. What is your opinon of the quality of Rusty's? They have a 3" lift that is the SAME price, it also comes with springs, RE comes with spacers.

thanks
you cant compare the lift kits. ones a budget boost and rustys is an actual lift kit with springs. quality they are better then rough country but from what I have seen, still not up to par like rubicon express. also rustys shipping prices are outrageous
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Scotty16
I have a 4.5 inch Rustys add-a-leaf kit and I love it. The only bad thing that I have with it is that it rides rough on really bumpy roads, and can feel everyone of those bumps . But on good roads it rides great. Overall, I say Rustys is good.

And yes, I also liked the price of the kit. RE was like 1100 or something like that. Shipping was fast too.
your riding on an add a leaf dont expect the best ride quality i have rusty's 3" lift with full spring packs and the ride quality is just as good as stock
Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 PM

Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder

your getting what you pay for when it comes to lifts
Old 07-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Rusty's has great customer service (replace a few shocks taht i bent into an S shape after i broke my axle mounts off!!) they are always really helpful and i LOVE the ride of the coils that they offer, have not found a better riding coil besides OME. But nothing compares to OME.(not OEM).

I support them on MOST products completely. They still are a newer buisiness that is working out some kinks on newer products. like they have track bar issues for a while with stuff breaking, that has since been fixed. but again i run their shocks and coils and few other parts hear and there (like stickers and BPE's and stuff).
Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 PM

Year: 2000

What difference is there between the 2" and 3" besides height of add a leafs and size of spacers or springs? The 2" budget is a add a leaf you bolt to the bottom of the spring pack, while rusty's you have to take the pack apart and put their add a leaf in the middle. The difference in price to me would be the quality of the parts, I understand you get what you pay for, so that's why I'm asking the question, is the quality of rusty's parts questionable? how can they offer a 3" kit for a $265?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

when it comes to coil springs and leaf springs, neither rusty's or rubicon express makes their own. they are all outsourced from a spring shop.
that's why i am not putting RE down for my bowed out 5.5 inch coil or broken leafs the first time, then my replacement set, which i had to buy cause they're not under warranty were different leafs totally left and right, but they did replace those at no cost.

you could only judge company's for their hard parts, therefore, rusty's and rubicon express have great quality, almost comparable.

you pay a lot more for RE, cause the kits come complete with everything you need for that size of lift, excluding shocks, they leave that up to the buyer as some like bilsteins and some will settle with skyjackers.

i think rusty's is fine, plus he builds and wheels xj's.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned

rustys kits are the most complete and come with their shocks with the option to upgrade and purchase add ons like steering stabilizers and such plus if you compare rustys 6.5" long arm to rough country's 6.5" long arm you will see rusty's is much better especially in the way the long arm x-member bolts to the frame (rustys uses sleeves through the unit body and stock hole rough country just uses stock holes)
Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by mcguyver_xj
rustys kits are the most complete and come with their shocks with the option to upgrade and purchase add ons like steering stabilizers and such plus if you compare rustys 6.5" long arm to rough country's 6.5" long arm you will see rusty's is much better especially in the way the long arm x-member bolts to the frame (rustys uses sleeves through the unit body and stock hole rough country just uses stock holes)
this is not true. you can do this with RE, Ironrock, Claytons.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
this is not true. you can do this with RE, Ironrock, Claytons.
Your leaving out your favorite. Rough Country
and it helps if i read the whole post before replying
Old 07-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

well being out of the most common lift kits boughten between rustys RE and rough country rustys is most complete
Old 07-13-2010, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by brifle
What difference is there between the 2" and 3" besides height of add a leafs and size of spacers or springs? The 2" budget is a add a leaf you bolt to the bottom of the spring pack, while rusty's you have to take the pack apart and put their add a leaf in the middle. The difference in price to me would be the quality of the parts, I understand you get what you pay for, so that's why I'm asking the question, is the quality of rusty's parts questionable? how can they offer a 3" kit for a $265?
keep in mind, a spacer will reduce ride quality compared to a full spring. and the reason that they cost almost the same is because RE doesn't wanna charge you the price of the scrap metal, so they make up a price for a part that would take a machinist 30 minutes to cut.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by mcguyver_xj
well being out of the most common lift kits boughten between rustys RE and rough country rustys is most complete
just like rustys, RE ironrock and claytons all have the options just like rustys.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

Originally Posted by 96_xj
Rusty's has great customer service (replace a few shocks taht i bent into an S shape after i broke my axle mounts off!!) they are always really helpful and i LOVE the ride of the coils that they offer, have not found a better riding coil besides OME. But nothing compares to OME.(not OEM).

I support them on MOST products completely. They still are a newer buisiness that is working out some kinks on newer products. like they have track bar issues for a while with stuff breaking, that has since been fixed. but again i run their shocks and coils and few other parts hear and there (like stickers and BPE's and stuff).
a) there customer service is hit or miss. i have had good and absolutely horrible experiences with them
b) they are not a "newer company"

Quick Reply: quality of Rusty's?