Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Problems with 99 jeep cherokee starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Problems with 99 jeep cherokee starting

Newbie Here and Thanks for having me, Looking forward to a ton of great advice, with that being said. Please help..

Hey guys and gals, I appreciate any help on this that you all may have. Have a 99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 that started dying out here and there so I changed the Cam Sensor and it started right up and ran for about a month or so fine. Then was driving down the road and just quit and hasn't started since. I am pulling my hair our trying to get this thing back up and running. I have changed the fuel pump,cam sensor,plugs and wires,ignition coil and checked the fuel pump relay. I was thinking I might have done something wrong when i replaced the pump but when I am cranking it over I am getting pressure to the fuel rail for a few seconds before it peters out and I can hear the pump kicking on. I have also tried starter fluid in the air cleaner and cleaned all the connections with electronic cleaner and still nothing. It doesnt seem like it is getting any spark. I have put a tester on it and the only code that pops up is a TCC code?? I am very confused at this point and need your help. I will make it interesting. Whoever has the right answer and it fixes this jeep I will send you a gift certificate for a Steak dinner of your choice.... Thanks again for your input.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by RajunCajun91
Newbie Here and Thanks for having me, Looking forward to a ton of great advice, with that being said. Please help..

Hey guys and gals, I appreciate any help on this that you all may have. Have a 99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 that started dying out here and there so I changed the Cam Sensor and it started right up and ran for about a month or so fine. Then was driving down the road and just quit and hasn't started since. I am pulling my hair our trying to get this thing back up and running. I have changed the fuel pump,cam sensor,plugs and wires,ignition coil and checked the fuel pump relay. I was thinking I might have done something wrong when i replaced the pump but when I am cranking it over I am getting pressure to the fuel rail for a few seconds before it peters out and I can hear the pump kicking on. I have also tried starter fluid in the air cleaner and cleaned all the connections with electronic cleaner and still nothing. It doesnt seem like it is getting any spark. I have put a tester on it and the only code that pops up is a TCC code?? I am very confused at this point and need your help. I will make it interesting. Whoever has the right answer and it fixes this jeep I will send you a gift certificate for a Steak dinner of your choice.... Thanks again for your input.
The Crankshaft Position Sensor is a common cause for the failure you described. Search for how to test the sensor and get 'er done before performing a replacement. The connector for it is located just aft of the throttle body and the cable leads to the sensor (obviously) which is located at about the 11 O'clock position (from driver's perspective) on the bell-housing. I recommend that you use OEM components else you may suffer from out-of-the-box reliability problems. Keep the gift cert - thanks anyway.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I changed the crankshaft position sensor as well. So is it that common if you do not use a dealer / OEM sensor it will fail? I didnt use a factory part. Thanks for you help.