problem neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default problem neutral safety switch

my 97 jeep cherokee automatic 4x4 needs its neutral safety switch removed. i tried taking the old one out but it wont come out. 4 guys have tried taking this out as well as me too and none of us can get it out.i dont really know what else to do about it...is it easy to bypass or can i even bypass it with it hanging in there but not connected?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999 Limited
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

try here: http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-...ty-switch-nss/

Last edited by roadraje; 11-18-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I've had to pry them off with a screwdriver a few times just be careful not to crack it.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 PM

Year: 2001

it may only need adjusted, mine started acting up and i was able to adjust it and havent had a prblem since. My guess it moved over time where the bolt is and threw it off. If you cant pry it off try using some PB blaster for a few days where the nut and lock washer are, good luck!
Old 11-19-2013, 05:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by DaniGirl
my 97 jeep cherokee automatic 4x4 needs its neutral safety switch removed. i tried taking the old one out but it wont come out. 4 guys have tried taking this out as well as me too and none of us can get it out.i dont really know what else to do about it...is it easy to bypass or can i even bypass it with it hanging in there but not connected?
If you get in a jam and get stuck somewhere you can bypass it just by looping the 2 black wires to complete the ground circuit. But remember it will also kill your backup lights doing that
Old 11-19-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just did this last week and i had to brake mine off and replace it with a new one. i got a new one off ebay 33$ free shipping. well see how long it lasts but it works great now.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by Programbo
If you get in a jam and get stuck somewhere you can bypass it just by looping the 2 black wires to complete the ground circuit. But remember it will also kill your backup lights doing that
...and allow it to start while in gear, and illuminate your check engine light which will cause problems at inspection time which is why it should only be used to get you out of a jam (as Programbo suggested) rather than a permanent solution. I'd recommend scrubbing it clean with soap and water, followed by a daily dose of penetrating spray (everybody loves PB Blaster but whatever works) for a couple weeks. A few taps with the plastic handle of a screw driver each time you spray it might help to break the bonds formed over the years. Be careful of the split-thread shaft (where the big nut goes), it's just cast aluminum and it likes to fall apart.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:53 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Thanks yall! I have sprayed wd40 to loosen it and pryed on it even cleaned it. it will not go back in or finish coming out and since it is not in or out all the way now my jeep will not start. im kinda screwed bc it wont go back in or come out.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Originally Posted by F1Addict
...and allow it to start while in gear, and illuminate your check engine light which will cause problems at inspection time which is why it should only be used to get you out of a jam (as Programbo suggested).
Actually it won't cause a check engine light since only the "ground" portion of it is bypassed. As far as starting in gear, that would be a very bizarre situation. I know it's there to be a safety feature but, you'd have to get in your Jeep, put in your key and turn it to the run position, then reach down and shift into reverse or drive, then reach back up and finish turning the key to start your engine. I guess that COULD happen but I don't see anyone doing that.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Actually it won't cause a check engine light since only the "ground" portion of it is bypassed. As far as starting in gear, that would be a very bizarre situation. I know it's there to be a safety feature but, you'd have to get in your Jeep, put in your key and turn it to the run position, then reach down and shift into reverse or drive, then reach back up and finish turning the key to start your engine. I guess that COULD happen but I don't see anyone doing that.
It will start in gear with it bypassed, I did this to mine so if it dies on hills etc, mine is not street legal anyway. It will also disable your cruise control.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

It doesn't always trip the CEL but it eventually will (P0700 and P0705), especially in the state her NSS is currently in (hanging on the manual valve shaft). At the very least, I would recommend using a block of wood and a hammer to smack it back on and put the bolts in. If it came off that far, it'll go back on.