Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Plasti-kote liner

So, in my search of what liner to use, I went to wally world and bought some plasti-kote in spray and can. I was interested in this brand because I wanted to be able to use both applications (plus the damn good price). I used some old license plates. The spray looks nothing like the can.

Spray:

Can: (dabbed w/a brush)

I put the plates outside to bake all day tomo while I'm at work. I'll see how they feel when I get home. This was after 1 coat.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

That's a 30 years thechology gap between the two, i would choose spray, is it available for compressed air guns?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by fantic238
That's a 30 years thechology gap between the two, i would choose spray, is it available for compressed air guns?
i would agree if you can find it for a compressor use it will be the best set up try not to use the aerosol cans they can get spendy and it will take a few of them to do the job
Old 07-10-2009, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Depends on what you are coating. If it's something with a washable surface, such as a bumper or rockers, the heavy texture of the can will make it difficult to keep clean. The finer texture of the spray protects and yet is fairly easy to wash.

Remember, I only paid $15 for 14 cans of the aerosol.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EvilBlackXJ
Depends on what you are coating. If it's something with a washable surface, such as a bumper or rockers, the heavy texture of the can will make it difficult to keep clean. The finer texture of the spray protects and yet is fairly easy to wash.

Remember, I only paid $15 for 14 cans of the aerosol.
How did you do that?

I was planning on lining the inside of my xj so I wanted something thick. I'm going to throw rubber mats on top, so wear will be minimal. Just wanted to be pretty thick.

I was also thinking of lining my rockers w/the spray. Hence, why I wanted to use the same brand. For some reason, I thought using the same brand would yield a more uniform finish. *Wishful me*

The more I look into this, the more I'm thinking of ordering the raptor. I have a compressor anyway, so might as well use it I guess. Was just trying to keep it cheap.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fantic238
Aside from the aerosol can, they only had the gallon (no kit), which was $43. It says on the gallon that you can spray. I'd have to go buy a undercoating gun. I've seen that harbor freight sells them for like $7 which would be good, but I called and they said they don't sell them. The other cheapest local place has them for $20. So that brings my total to $63. About half of the Raptor. Hmmmmm.....
Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djlarroc
How did you do that?
Long story shortened, I bought two cans at THE Wal-Marts that were defective, clogged and leaked out all the propellant. Valspar rep sent me a case (12 cans) gratis.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Long story shortened, I bought two cans at THE Wal-Marts that were defective, clogged and leaked out all the propellant. Valspar rep sent me a case (12 cans) gratis.
Oh that's right! I remember seeing that thread in my search. Good deal haha. That's why I went wally world. I tried to use it just to test it. If I don't like it. I can prob still return it. They also have herculiner, but from the looks of the samples. It's a pretty similar finish to the brush job.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Default *Update*

So, I decided to sacrifice myself and my xj for the betterment of CF .

I went w/the Plasti-kote from walmart. I bought a Upol undercoating gun and modified it to work and sprayed the plasti-kote at 40psi. I was trying to keep this as cheap as possible. Do yourself a favor and pay the $2 for a funnel. Don't be like me, and make a mess and waste $5 in materials .

Reason I chose plasti (aside from price) was because I didn't want to wait for raptor and if I needed more later, I could just go to walmart. I also chose plasti over herc because it seemed thinner and easier to spray. Also it's said to have UV protection, and I didn't want to spend an extra $20 on Xylene just for the herc.

The materials:
1 gal of plasti-kote - $42
1 U pol undercoating gun - $18
1 gatorade bottle - free
1 plastic bottle to pour - free
Solvent to clean - free (had it already, degreaser )

U pol spray gun. (You have to cut the pipe that goes into the bottle to fit the gatorade bottle)

Gatorade bottle:

Masking is for girls: (JK, but it seemed better/faster to just raise the panels)

After 1 coat:

I called plasti-kote and they said to shoot is as is, no thinning necessary. It shot pretty well, but the pellets went everwhere. It get's messy! I ended up spraying lighter coats after the first and it came out nice. I shot about 5 light coats in the cargo area and foot wells, and 2 coats everywhere else, and still had a bit less than 1/4 gallon left. It was dry after about 20 mins in the 85 degree weather. I'm happy. We'll see how it holds up. $60 total.

Last edited by djlarroc; 07-13-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Cool job. Looks nice.

Are you gonna shoot the seats???
Old 07-13-2009, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Cool job. Looks nice.

Are you gonna shoot the seats???
Would not be a bad idea, as dirty as they were/still are. I've hit them thrice w/tuff stuff upholstery cleaner. 2 more times, and I think they'll be good.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djlarroc
Would not be a bad idea, as dirty as they were/still are. I've hit them thrice w/tuff stuff upholstery cleaner. 2 more times, and I think they'll be good.
Mine were so dirty when I bought the heep, that I took them out and used the hose. Let them sit in the sun and dry thoroughly, though or you will make them "stinky"!!! You already have them out to do the liner.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Mine were so dirty when I bought the heep, that I took them out and used the hose. Let them sit in the sun and dry thoroughly, though or you will make them "stinky"!!! You already have them out to do the liner.
Ya, but I already installed them back in....
Old 07-13-2009, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

So, you have liner in the floor now. You can still use the hose!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

its too late now but u get what u pay for. my buddy used the plasti on his bumpers and it all peeled off. i used duplicolors version. same result. i used rustoleum brand and so far so good but its only been on a few days so well see what happens

Quick Reply: Plasti-kote liner