Sponsored by: DashLynx

Planning Moab Trip - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Planning Moab Trip - advice?

So, I'm planning on heading to moab in the late spring. I don't plan on doing any crazy trails or anything. I really just want to do some remote day hikes, camping, and some mountain biking. I've been mountain biking in Moab probably 5 times. My jeep is on a 3" lift with 31's. Does anyone have any pretty easy trails that are worth doing?
Also, I plan on getting extended brake lines. I also plan on going up another inch. Should I do this before? I'd hate to put in a cheap budget boost and have driveline vibes. The drive to Moab is about 11 hrs. As it sits, my xj is good on the highway.

So.. questions are..
1) trail suggestions
2) upgrades? (reasonably priced)
3) maintenance (all I have slotted is a slight oil leak fix and a coolant system flush)

Thanks!
Also, I'm trying to build up my credit so that I can buy a WRX with a decent interest rate. That said, I may be picking up a roof top tent for the trip (to get a small loan that I can pay off in a few months).
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Trail suggestion: tread lightly
Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Seasoned Member

I'll be with my girl. Hopefully, with the rooftop tent on top. As a mountain biker - I always tread lightly. I just want a long trail ride that's not too severe. I heard there's a hundred miler in Canyon Lands.. I'll check it out..

Really?! No more suggestions?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Here ya go :

http://www.moab4x4parts.com/moab_tra...55e704u8eodoa3
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Seasoned Member

ARB simpson III is verrry tempting. After I get back from Moab, I might replace the engine in my jeep or have it rebuilt. I want to get a small loan before I buy a new car that I can pay off quick and help my credit a little. As far as the roof top tent - I can't see myself not getting one. Effing sweet and I wouldn't want to tow a camper. Plus, I can put it on top of a utility trailer. I want an M101 trailer.

Any suggestions on spare parts to pick up to carry in the rig? I'll do my homework, so only reply if you're feeling friendly or helpful. It may be hot and I want to do a 100 mile trail trek.

Extended brake lines and coolant flush for sure. I just changed Tcase fluid and diff fluid. Tranny will be flush n filled by then. I'll scheme on jerry cans. I might go up an inch on the lift and do bumpstops. I already have a tranny cooler.

Thinking thule 78" load bars will be nice. I'll have 4 or 5 load bars, in total.

I think I'll do O2 sensors. Any other sensors I oughtta change at 160k miles?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Tom95yjs link lists most of the better known trails, and would be a great place to start planning your trip.
Trails are rated from 1 through 5, with 1 being the least difficult and 5 being the most difficult, on a 5 rated trail you may expect body and mechanical damage.
I would start out on Chicken Corners a class two rated trail then move up to a 3 rated trail and see how that goes.

As for what spare parts to bring, first you didn't state any information about your Cherokee so it is hard to give you any worthwhile suggestions other than fluids, and any spares you already own, like u joints, u joint strap and bolt kits, etc.

PS, Bring massive amounts of water, like 10 - 12 bottles for each person per day.