Print Wikipost

Paint over bedliner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ, 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.0 l6
Default Paint over bedliner?

Hey I was thinking of painting my whole XJ with some bedliner sometime and I still wanna have some color I was thinking of painting over the bedliner. For example, paint the jeep with bedliner, then pick up some cans of tan, green and brown then camo it. I know it can be done, but im curious how it would look, if it would just be better to not bedline the whole thing.

What do you guys think? Does anyone have a picture of their jeep with paint over their bedliner? And no I'm not looking into bedliner that comes in different colors.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 88, 89, 93 & 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Painting directly over the bedliner looks good but I imagine it's hard to keep real clean... You can spray the whole truck with it and then sand it real lightly to remove most of the texture before top coating and it gives it a nice hammered look/texture. I've been prepping mine all week and started spraying it today. I'll finish it up tomorrow and post some pics of the process and results.

Here's a sample board I did the other day...

The right side was sanded before top coating with the green and the left wasn't.

As a side note, The top coat sticks extremely well to it!! I can not get it to scratch off the sample I did!

Last edited by HighRoller; 12-10-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

There are some companies that make colored bedliner, not sure about green and tan but I know blue and red because ive seen it so maybe the colors you want are availible. As for cleaning it, the only way to get it really clean would be to use a presure washer.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 93
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Yeah, I bought some white bedliner from Grizzly Grip for the roof on my XJ. It wasn't white enough for me so I bought a pint of gloss white rustoleum and brushed it on over. It's holding up well and it looks good. Also, when my jeep was black, I bedlined the rockers and around the fenders and went over the bedliner with some rustoleum silver. Looked good as well but the silver chipped off when it was hit with rocks.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:53 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0lt H.O.

my whole heep was painted with spray-on bedliner, all came out flat black, didnt like it, shot it with gloss black after 3 days, its held up for the last 3 years

Name:  DSCN1328.jpg
Views: 10520
Size:  211.4 KB
Old 12-10-2010, 11:22 PM

Year: 1999 XJ, 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.0 l6

Alright alright, I'm looking forward to see those pics HighRoller. So which do you guys think would come out better or stay on better, just painting right over it, sanding it down a bit then painting over or does it even matter?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 PM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

I don't see any reason to sand bedliner down... just paint over it, what about mixing color into a bucket of bedliner?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:07 AM

Year: 88, 89, 93 & 99

I'm sanding mine before top coat... The texture in the aerosol cans isn't very solid when it dries (you have those small pieces that barely stick). A real light sanding knocks the loose stuff off and gives you a better base for your top coat. It's also a smoother texture when finished and ,on the sample I sprayed, you could even wax the area that was sanded first... The unsanded area you couldn't get it off. To me that's a big bonus Plus I like the smoother hammered look over the sandpaper look. I'm kind picky about these things though, I paint for a living...
Old 12-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 93
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

If you had some bedliner that had a real rough texture, for example the stuff that bondo used to make, you could mix it with a different color and just brush/roll it on. I had a suzuki samurai that was navy blue and I mixed some bedliner with a pint of true blue until it was navy and brushed it on around the grill after I beat a dent out where the PO ran into a dear. Mixing it with regular paint took away some of the texture.
Also here's a picture of the roof on my xj after I bedlined it and painted white over it.
Attached Thumbnails Paint over bedliner?-wt2.jpg  
Attached Images