XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Over heating jeep

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over heating jeep

Ok so in like August my jeep over heated cus water boiled in my reservoir tank and ever since then I've babied it. It's had a thermostat stat that opens at 180. Now seeing how my car still got hot enough to over heat should I replace the radiator? Or I'd it cus I've got kinda ****ty oil pressure. Like 45 pounds on the freeway. Uphill. Should I junk the jeep or replace the radiator? I replaced the thermostat and sensor and water pump and fan clutch
Old 12-22-2012, 01:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Slow down, definitely dont junk it for something like this! Is it still overheating? Have you check to see if the mechanical fan is working properly? Is the e fan coming on when its supposed to?
Old 12-22-2012, 03:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

What year is your XJ? No you definitely don't want to junk it. A new radiator would be a great start. If you have an 00-01, you may have a problem with the head. But even if that's the case, you should not junk it. That's crazy talk
Old 12-22-2012, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 i6

45 psi sounds pretty right for the oil pressure.... go through the cooling system. Does it have good coolant in it? Is it brown and discolored or is it green/blue coolant color? When was the waterpump last replaced? Radiator? Fan clutch? Is the efan coming on?
Definitely don't junk it whatever you do. Give it to me first.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cherokeelaredo'90
45 psi sounds pretty right for the oil pressure.... go through the cooling system. Does it have good coolant in it? Is it brown and discolored or is it green/blue coolant color? When was the waterpump last replaced? Radiator? Fan clutch? Is the efan coming on?
Definitely don't junk it whatever you do. Give it to me first.
I changed the fan clutch, water pump and dropped the thermostat to a 180 degree in November cus it overheated around Halloween. I have the e fan wired to a switch and would run it constantly. Though not now cus it's cool. I already checked the head gasket with tester stuff. It's fine. I think it's the radiator cus if boils water
Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Is the inside of your radiator clean or covered in scale or rust or local mud? Mine was and would overheat bad, I replaced water pump, tstat and it still got hot. I relaced my radiator after I found a hairline crack in the top passenger side corner that only leaked once the coolant got hot and built enough pressure. After a new $100 radiator from amazon it NEVER gets hot anymore.