Offroad mishaps

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Offroad mishaps

ok so i want to hear stories of peoples mishaps. like the stories of where something got broke, dented, scratched, or you just got out lucky. lets just hear some good offroading stories please?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 87-99

Short one here. Few years back I went down to rausch creek with a small group, we all stopped to take a few pics of one another on an obstacle. One of the guys with us (rubicon), parked a bit behind me, and forgot to set the parking brake, and didn't leave it in gear upon shut down. So as we were all walking over to the spot we all heard this loud crunch noise....WTF was that? We looked back over to the jeeps, and there was the rubicon leaning against my cherokees back bumper, . Good thing it was there though, it saved his jeep from taking a nasty spill down one of the gullies .

The crunch was his fender getting folded along with his offroad lamp being forcively removed, lol, I just got a little dent on my bumper, haha.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Shaggimo
Short one here. Few years back I went down to rausch creek with a small group, we all stopped to take a few pics of one another on an obstacle. One of the guys with us (rubicon), parked a bit behind me, and forgot to set the parking brake, and didn't leave it in gear upon shut down. So as we were all walking over to the spot we all heard this loud crunch noise....WTF was that? We looked back over to the jeeps, and there was the rubicon leaning against my cherokees back bumper, . Good thing it was there though, it saved his jeep from taking a nasty spill down one of the gullies .

The crunch was his fender getting folded along with his offroad lamp being forcively removed, lol, I just got a little dent on my bumper, haha.

PICTURE EVIDENCE!!! yes! that is very rare for explaining a story lol but don't you just love your XJ a wrangler tries to pick on it and only hurts itself

Last edited by Spdkilz88; 02-01-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Never thought of it that way, hahaha. Good point!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

One time we were on a trail ride and I was doorless. One thing I hate is flying bee's or anything that makes the same buzzing sounds. stupid but i had a bad experience a few summers back. well one flies in(for the first time ever) and I can hear it around my head so i let off everything and try to get it out of ear/hair/face. well i was still in 1st gear so i was trugging along and then next thing i know my passenger yells my name and then we are in the back of another cherokee....

I did fix it (we later finished it up and it has the window back in and is fully functional and very cleaned up)

Old 02-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shaggimo
Never thought of it that way, hahaha. Good point!
well my friends with wranglers always talk crap about the XJ's when constantly i prove to them i can go anywhere they do and a lot of times further but i just like to look at the bright side of things which is XJ's are better
Old 02-01-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by 96_xj
One time we were on a trail ride and I was doorless. One thing I hate is flying bee's or anything that makes the same buzzing sounds. stupid but i had a bad experience a few summers back. well one flies in(for the first time ever) and I can hear it around my head so i let off everything and try to get it out of ear/hair/face. well i was still in 1st gear so i was trugging along and then next thing i know my passenger yells my name and then we are in the back of another cherokee....

I did fix it (we later finished it up and it has the window back in and is fully functional and very cleaned up)

ok i'm not going to lie i would of done the exact same thing if a bee flew in on me lol
Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

or one time me and the current at the time GF were going out. it was a night wheeling trip. the rain had hid a 3' river running across the road. it was maybe 2' deep (eroded dirt road). cruising down the road. everything was fine. we were maybe going 30 (it is pretty strait and pretty level most of the time) and then next thing you know were rolled over, engine still running pressed up against the seat belts. I was more worried about her and the fact it was raining. Got out and inspected everything. we were on the side of the road with roof facing the road, wheels out. I called up a friend and this is how the conversation went:

me: hey buddy
him: whats up?
me: wanna come get me?
him: sure where at?
me: out off xxx road we rolled. its Jen and I
him: cool be right there.

he came out with his ranger and then another guy came out with a cherokee. we spun my jeep around on its side about 90* and then proceeded to roll it back over and drive home.

here are a few pictures:

sat like this for a while getting fixed....
4 ball joints, 2 axle seals, 2 wheel bearings, 2 new shocks, 2 new coils, new track bar, sheet metal re worked, a new mirror and the roof rack had to be put back on.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993

One time we were on a trail ride and I was doorless. One thing I hate is flying bee's or anything that makes the same buzzing sounds.

snc4/hs232.snc4/38920_415884576972_696416972_4800083_5647342_n.jpg[/IMG]
I hate that to
Old 02-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Member

That could've gotten real ugly.....
Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM

or one time me and the current at the time GF were going out. it was a night wheeling trip. the rain had hid a 3' river running across the road. it was maybe 2' deep (eroded dirt road). cruising down the road. everything was fine. we were maybe going 30 (it is pretty strait and pretty level most of the time) and then next thing you know were rolled over, engine still running pressed up against the seat belts. I was more worried about her and the fact it was raining. Got out and inspected everything. we were on the side of the road with roof facing the road, wheels out. I called up a friend and this is how the conversation went:

me: hey buddy
him: whats up?
me: wanna come get me?
him: sure where at?
me: out off xxx road we rolled. its Jen and I
him: cool be right there.

he came out with his ranger and then another guy came out with a cherokee. we spun my jeep around on its side about 90* and then proceeded to roll it back over and drive home.

here are a few pictures:

sat like this for a while getting fixed....
4 ball joints, 2 axle seals, 2 wheel bearings, 2 new shocks, 2 new coils, new track bar, sheet metal re worked, a new mirror and the roof rack had to be put back on.

i'm sorry to hear that but she is getting fixed is all that matters and btw i love how neat your tools are in this pic....thats how mine always start also nice CLEAN garage i wish i could say the same lol
Old 02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok so one more, lol, I guess one could say this is part 2 of the first mishap, .
Like I said we all walked over to the spot to take pictures, kinda like this one.

This rig was un tested prior to taking it to rausch, so little did he know, he had a nasty
case of wrap. Well, he horked on it to make the little hill, pinion rotated, and blew the
u-joint apart. (leaf sprung TJ BTW)

Lucky I carry spares, or his day would've been cut short, lol. So my bud replaces his u-joint,
and it gets him moving at least, but what to do about the wrap issue? Put a bunch
of woodchucks together and this is what we come up with......

This worked wonders to keep the wrap at bay, haha. Oh and no it was not a permanent fixture,
he built a ladder bar for it when he got home, so I got my ratchet straps back .
Old 02-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V6

No pics, sorry. I was out muddin in a local hole and was doin real well through the deep parts and i was pretty comfortable with how my Jeep was doing. My buddy was with me and he joked and said "lets try it in reverse" I immediatly spun my jeep around and threw it in reverse. Well as soon as we get half way through the ground droped and i went into a ditch that was past my bumper. I herd a loud bang so i got out to see if my bumper was riped off. Turned out i ripped the exhaust bracket completly out of the frame. The exhaust got hung up and its what kept me from just driveing out of it.
So i went back in to start it up and leave and poof the battery just dies! Its so dead that the locks dont even work. I call my buddy to give me a jump and pull me out and as we are leaving through the path there, a COP stops us! He says we might be trespassing and stuff like that. Now i like cops and he was real cool about that. Luckly my friends mom worked near that land and he talked to the cop on the phone and he let us go clean. That was just one of thos days nothing went right.

Oh and i cut the exhaust and have it ending just before the axle and pointed at the road, it never gets in the way now and its a good bit louder
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 str8 6

Your lucky you didn't get water in your engine like me.

So I'm 16 and get my first rig 01 xj super sick
I've never been mudding so I went with a few friends from school. We got to a place called rancho and I didn't fill up on gas so while my friends r off riding the 4wheelers we had to go all the way to the gas station. All is well unill the way back to where we set up camp, it was pretty far in and there are a lot of hole u gotta go threw to get there. Me and my passanger had the radio on jamming out and we were flying threw the water. I stop cuz it looked deep and went to the edge thinking it wouldn't be bad. So it seems fine till my front tires drop about 4 feet into water the jeep fills with water and I don't know what to do. Lucky me a guy in a f150 come by and puls us out from there we have to get to the road so AAA can tow me home a nice guy with a huge 1500 pulls me to the road. Got her running a few days ago but it stalls out in 15 seconds still working need to get her going.

For pics look at my recent threads there's a link. (On my phone and can't copy paste it)
Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Dang, 96_Xj beat me to the story, tha silver xj is mine...unfortunate part is, the hatch is still white...ha

Quick Reply: Offroad mishaps