Sponsored by: DashLynx

No sway bars!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No sway bars!!

I took my sway bars off front and rear. I took it on a really curvy road and i could not tell a huge different in handling just a little lean. I am only running 3ins with 32's. Going to test it out on some local trails in the morning. I am going to try to take some pics if the wife will go. Oh and by the way getting the rear off without taking the wheels off is a total BIT** i almost just cut the thing apart with a torch!
Old 07-18-2010, 02:28 AM
CF Veteran

yeah the rear sway bar is a pain. I took mine off a few months back. I couldn't even remove the rear tires at the time because the previous owner put 1 locking lug nut on each wheel and I had not yet gotten them removed. Not even sure being able to take the rear tires off would have helped much or anything lol.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 96
Engine: 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by NewXJaddict
yeah the rear sway bar is a pain. I took mine off a few months back. I couldn't even remove the rear tires at the time because the previous owner put 1 locking lug nut on each wheel and I had not yet gotten them removed. Not even sure being able to take the rear tires off would have helped much or anything lol.

i was in the same pinch with mine also..
i run with both of my sway bars disconnected not to much body roll unless you pretty much pull a u turn at 30-40 mph
Old 07-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Taking rear tires off would have just help get to the nuts.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

So i just did some mild wheeling and stuffed the tires and just to say its either cut my fenders more lift or 31's.......
Old 07-18-2010, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

you could also extend your bump stops
Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Originally Posted by mike albo
you could also extend your bump stops
x2 everyone forgets the CHEAPEST and very essential component

also, going down your street make a quick maneuver like you are avoiding a kid that just jumped right infront of your jeep and you dont have time to break maneuver and see if you stil feel safe with no sway bars..... bet you it will feel more than a little body lean!

Last edited by 96_xj; 07-18-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Seasoned Member

also, going down your street make a quick maneuver like you are avoiding a kid that just jumped right infront of your jeep and you dont have time to break maneuver and see if you stil feel safe with no sway bars..... bet you it will feel more than a little body lean! [/QUOTE]

Well i pay attention to where i am going. I am like a ninja quick like a cat.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by andersonj05
Well i pay attention to where i am going. I am like a ninja quick like a cat.
not the point, I pay attention to everything on the road, because its the others people actions that i am worried about. But even if you are a you can never control the un expected.

Really just try it, you dont even have to be going 30...
Old 07-18-2010, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: '89
Engine: 242

Originally Posted by 96_xj
also, going down your street make a quick maneuver like you are avoiding a kid that just jumped right infront of your jeep and you dont have time to break maneuver and see if you stil feel safe with no sway bars..... bet you it will feel more than a little body lean!

Youre still wrong...

Ive had to make plenty of these maneuvers, because VT'ers do NOT know how to drive...and I always come out fine.

What needs to happen is giving yourself enough space between you and the guy in front of you...and also watching for the retarded types that give you hints, theyre gonna pull out in front of you, like not really slowing down, or they keep slowly rolling out into the intersection.

And if your speeding in a neighborhood full of kids playing.......you deserve everything you get......cause thats definitely not cool...

Last edited by XJs-R-us; 07-18-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by XJs-R-us
Youre still wrong...

Ive had to make plenty of these maneuvers, because VT'ers do NOT know how to drive...and I always come out fine.
I guess another thing to look into is who makes your suspension, and how top heavy you are.

like Rough Country suspensions are hard a rock providing more resistance

and my rusty's coil springs are nice and supple providing less resistance.

and i have a 70lb rack on my roof with a spare

But i have done the whole no sway bar thing while i was waiting for my links to come in. I do not recommend it at all, i drove normal streets to the highway with no links. you can get links/disconnects for $40-$100 (cheap compared to a life).

sway bars are designed for a purpose. when going down the road strait the suspension articulates on both sides evenly, and you would never tell they are there. When you turn or make a maneuver the bar is now pulling on the side that wants to "expand" making the side that is "compressing" 2 times the spring rate giving that spring a firmer feel preventing body roll and keeping your vehicle as level as possible. When you dont have the sway bar the side that is "compressing" is acting under its own spring rate and the other side that is "expanding" has less weight, aiding to the body roll.

in most states with inspections you would not pass inspection. it is all for a reason. just do everyone on the road a favor and get a set of disconnects.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Seasoned Member

I did a hard jerk going about 30 and all if fine i am not saying it can't happen just seems fine too me.