Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie lookin for advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Smile Newbie lookin for advice

Howdy to everyone. I have just aquired my first Jeep. It is a '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo. She needs some work but the base seems to be solid. Can anyone tell me what body parts will interchange?? Right off I need to replace a window before the rains start this week. I will also be in the market for front fenders and hood pretty soon. These are the only rusty spots on the Jeep.

Also any good or bad reputations on this particular model??

Thanx and I am sure yall will see me around here a bit. This is going to be a project for my son, and I, who is a year or so away of a drivers license.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Body parts, such as fenders, hoods, hatches, and doors will swap from 93-98 ZJs, the bumper covers and trim from 93-95 are the same, and 96-98 are the same. The weak link in a ZJ is the transfercase, depending on what case you have. An NP249 is the least wanted case to have, an NP231 is the best choice. The rear axle is also a weak link, but it all depends on what kind of wheeling you're into and what tire size you run. Some will tell you that the Grand Cherokee is prone to electrical problems, it has no more problems than any other vehicle, it seems like after somebody has done some hack electrical work when installing stereos and lights.
What engine do you have in your rig?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:13 AM

I have the 6cyl, auto, in it. The electrical problems....yea I have already ran into a couple. First they by passed the heater diode and put in a toggle switch. I assume like so many they lost every speed but high. I will replace that and from what I can see...I should be able to pull out the toggle switch and re-shrink wrap the cut wire to get that going properly again. Another funky thing I just encountered is with radio on and you hit a window switch from drivers master...the radio fades out badly. This one has me cornfused. I have also noticed the gauges seem to take a min to begin working after start up...is this common?? I am used to gauges that start immediately upon engine start.

Right now we are working on cleanup to get all the mud and trash out of the Jeep. Is there a trick to removing the body moldings without breaking any of the retainers?? Like I said there is no rust on main body anywhere so I want to make sure we get all the debris out from hiding behind the moldings. Everyone knows how mud, dirt, salt, and grime like to hid there and begin to rust!!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I have a 98' ZJ and you may wanna watch the drivers side door the ZJ have been known for opening up like a can opener. The door jam closer has a chance to open the door up. It doesn't happen all the time but it can happen just a head up. There is also a chance of the door molding/trim can pop off in the cold. If you are wanting to take that molding off be very very very careful there are clips behind that molding that will break and you can find them in a JY (junk Yard) rather cheap sometimes free since some don't know what they are for. If you were to buy them at a dealer you will pay 9+ per piece.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Door seems to latch just fine but the lower hinge is badly worn. Worn enough the door drops when opened. Are there aftermarket hinges that last??