Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

New Jeeper here. Need your guys' help on first purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New Jeeper here. Need your guys' help on first purchase!

Hey guys,

Please bear with the small book, but I really need your guys' help.

I've been wanting an XJ for quite sometime and now have the means to get one in the 3k range.
The lowest I could get this guy to was $3000.00

I live in the metro Detroit, MI area so they aren't too uncommon. (They were made here baby, well some parts anyway)
One thing that is common is rust, and I think I've done a good amount of homework on the issues of these. First thing I'm looking for is a solid unibody. I've looked at some and wasn't impressed for the cash. Most have more rust then I would like.

I drive a '04 Subaru Legacy 5spd as a DD. This will be an off road toy, utility hauler etc. I will have a wife and 2 kids, dog in it driving it up to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Northern MI.
I am mechanically competent, just wet behind the ears with automotives but building it up is in my ability. (I just pulled my first motor on my Subaru for head gasket repair)

Here is where I need the help. I found one that is really solid (in my amateur opinion)
The main reason I like it, RHINO LINER/rust proofing on the under body. It looks great compared to a lot of michigan vehicles. Really no rust on it. Bad thing is the fender bender(auto check said '08) that damaged hood/grille (I checked frame as thoroughly as I could and everything looks straight. The truck drives straight , though the steering felt "floaty" to me, but not bad.

The other issue and I don't know how normal it is, but it seemed like front axle made a light noise at a coast. The blower also only works on highest setting. But blows hot/cold. ALL electrical components work.(tested)

Truck has a lot of power and does shift good. 4wd appeared to work also. Command-Trac I believe.
What do you guys think? I feel its worth it because the rust proofing appeared to work. But you guys drive and build these everyday. Help an upcoming Jeeper out!

He has put some money into many parts, and isn't a young jackass (older family gentleman) here is a pasting of the CL ad:
__________________________________________________ _________________________

Selling my beloved 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4. It has about 157k miles. The engine is strong and the transmition shifts smooth. 4x4 shifts easily in both low and high gears.
I just put on $1500.00 worth of parts
Michelin Tires
Shocks all around
Steering bar
Sway bar
Steering bushings
Shocks for the lift gate
Front and rear washer fluid pumps
New front brakes 2/14/13

Also just got tune up. Spark plugs, coil boots, new serpentine belt, O2 sensor, and few other things.

Every thing works inside. CD player, power windows, power locks, it all works fine.

This 4x4 also comes with the heavy duty tow package. There are minor bumps and bruises, but nothing too bad.

Asking $3400 or make reasonable offer.

Last edited by rogo; 02-17-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

The 2000's are known to have the 0331 head, which is prone to cracking.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
The 2000's are known to have the 0331 head, which is prone to cracking.
Yeah I have read about that. I was looking specifically for 98-99 but they are just not there for the money. The hot spot prices on these in the Detroit area are 3200-4500. All of the ones under 3k need some attention and have more rust then I'd like.

To me it seemed as long as I didn't overheat it I could be ok? I was also just googling around for replacement options.

Is it that much of an issue to avoid all 00-01's at all costs?

Would you sacrifice rust protection and nice overall condition over a possibly fault head?

Thanks for any and all help/advice!!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by rogo
Yeah I have read about that. I was looking specifically for 98-99 but they are just not there for the money. The hot spot prices on these in the Detroit area are 3200-4500. All of the ones under 3k need some attention and have more rust then I'd like.

To me it seemed as long as I didn't overheat it I could be ok? I was also just googling around for replacement options.

Is it that much of an issue to avoid all 00-01's at all costs?

Would you sacrifice rust protection and nice overall condition over a possibly fault head?

Thanks for any and all help/advice!!
I like to avoid them like the plague. It's easy to get the engine hot.

I can always rust-proof another Jeep. It's much cheaper than buying a replacement head in my opinion.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
I like to avoid them like the plague. It's easy to get the engine hot.

I can always rust-proof another Jeep. It's much cheaper than buying a replacement head in my opinion.
Well of course you can rust proof another Jeep, you're in FL, there isn't any rust there already!

I would prefer an XJ that has already had some protection against 10+ years of brutal Michigan salt and roads.

I guess unless I get no other feedback I will have to stew on it. To me replacing a head is a lot easier then trying to patchwork a frame. I could be wrong though....

I found a '98 that I liked. But it is also 700 dollars more, same mileage, but has a sun roof. I've read the sun roof's like to leak however. In my mind it would seem to compromise some of the Unibody strength?

Share your knowledge!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L i6

Most XJ's are neglected and have been driven into the ground by owners who tried to avoid putting any money into them.
At least this one had been maintained properly and saves you $1500 of typical repairs.
Why is he selling if he just did the brakes 3 days ago?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

In my opinion, just because the undercarriage is rinolined, doesn't mean there's no rust. Only way to tell is by pulling up the carpet at that point. He could have rinolined it BECAUSE of rust. Unfortunately, rust can still develop under liner, if it hasn't been done properly.

Stick to a >00 stocker. This means year 99 and under. Bonus if you can find one with the 8.25 rear. If it's banged up a bit, that's fine. Body damage can be repaired/replaced. It's like buying an old house... Find one with good bones and work from there. If you can find one in decent shape, with a good motor worth $1500... Spend your remaining $1500 on paint and body if you have to. Or a lift and tires. Personally living in the north east, rust prevention prevails over suspension.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Don't let the 0331 head scare you off, I have a bunch of 2000-01 Cherokees in the fleet at work and only had one puke a cylinder head in the last four years, and that is with government employees driving XJs with idiot lights instead of gauges.

Last edited by Bustedback; 02-18-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper
Most XJ's are neglected and have been driven into the ground by owners who tried to avoid putting any money into them.
At least this one had been maintained properly and saves you $1500 of typical repairs.
Why is he selling if he just did the brakes 3 days ago?
He claims him and his family are moving to FL and wont need 4wd and getting a new car. I would possibly guess he did the brakes to sell? Not sure, didn't think immediately to ask.

Maybe head problems? How can I check for a cracked head rather quickly? Similar to blown head gasket? I didn't look specically under the cap like I should've

It seemed the oil pressure liked to jump around a little.

I checked oil and it looked Ok, not coal black, but not brand new. Trans oil looked red, no smell. No major leaks I could see when I crawled underneath.

As for the Rhino liner, it looks to of been done years ago which is I would bring more protection over the years. I was checking and feeling/pressing floors by pressing and lightly banging on them. Looking for Rust stains etc.

Truck felt pretty smooth at 60mph.

I will just keep an eye out. I told him I couldn't do any transaction until Wednesday anyway.

Last edited by rogo; 02-18-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:03 AM

Engine: 4.0

have you considered looking out of youre state