XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Need some skids

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need some skids

This is my first official post besides the introductions, so please bear with me if I sound stupid. Im not yet that familar with my XJ.

On my TJ Rockcrawler I had full body protection, full skids, the works.
For what I plan to do with my XJ, is some rock crawling, but I still want to be able to drive it to the trails, and drive it home, so nothing too extreme. I used to trailer my TJ.

Anyway the night I bought my XJ I noticed the lack of any underneath protection on that thing. Even the transmission crossmember was like 1/4 of the size of a Wranglers. I need some skids. I need to get out there and spend some time under it getting ideas, but maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. What I would like to do, is fab up a transmission and tcase skid in one, or if its even possible an engine, tcase, and tranny skid all in one. I will just buy a gas tank skid from Skid Row.

Has anyone attempted this. I figure 3/8 steel would be fine bolted to the frame, but once again I dont really know what the frame looks like under there. This would also be my first time at actually trying to fabricate anything myself, so im looking forward to the project.

Anyone have any advise or knowledge they could share with a new XJ owner?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all there is no "frame" so you won't get too far trying to bolt something to it. 3/8" plate is incredibly overkill. Sure it won't bend but its heavy as shat. Check out what some aftermarket suppliers make and formulate some ideas from that if you can't find something. You'll soon realize the XJ take more creative work to do the same things. Working around the Uni-body makes everything take longer.

spend some time searching around on here for ideas
Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

there is a company that makes frame stiffeners. i have em on my xj and they work pretty good at keeping the body straight during a hardcore flex
Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the skid row skids. I have almost every one that they sell. LCA skids, tc skid and they make a large engine belly/trans skid. The belly skid is very heavy and hard to handle alone. With the way the crossmember sits, I don't think you could make an engine and tc skid plate in one piece. Plus, it would be massive and very heavy to move if you need to do any work. Save some money on the gas tank skid and get one from a 93-98 Grand Cherokee. It's a direct fit with minor opening of 3 or 4 bolt holes. And it's super strong.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999 sport
Engine: 4.0 6I

there are some that came as an option. my dads jeep has them, i looked for them and couldnt find them anywhere. maybe you would have better luck
Old 01-13-2012, 07:40 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

I know how ya feel... I went from a TJ to my XJ (had to loose the TJ bc of my son, and Momma bear would let me keep it wen I had a son ) so I got away with getting a stock XJ... little did she know my new toy was going to be MY new toy. but yeah, there is A LOT of differences working between a TJ and an XJ, but this site is great, the people are knowledgable, and i think if you have ever thought about it, someone here knows how to.

Good luck, and enjoy and welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 renix

check these sites out , itll give you an idea if you want to fab up your own , or even buy some of the stuff and slap it on your xj

http://www.tntcustoms.com/

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/

http://www.jcroffroad.com/index.html

http://www.quadratec.com

http://www.detoursusa.com

Last edited by keith88xj; 01-13-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

as mentioned hit the junk yards and llok for some factory skids, jeep actually put some decent skids on and they can be used as a starting point or at least give you ideas.

Factory XJs skids

-Front skid
-Can be picked up for about $20 used and really not much different than those offered by the after market, stock skid will have to be modified if running V8ZJ steering
-Tcase [np231 and np242 are different fit]
-Stock tcase skid can be picked up for cheap or free, its not great but is better than nothing, at the moment im running the Warn skid that i got for next to nothing, for tcase i would suggest looking at aftermarket for ideas.
-Gas tank skid
-The stock unit is pretty decent, will need some modification to fit if you are running a hitch, for added strength you can weld on some ribs made of flat bar, again can be had for very cheap.