Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default Need Opnions

Just as the title states I need opinion's guys. I have recently come across a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with every single option, except the one that counts (up country) with a 5.2 V8. It has almost NO RUST whatsoever on it anywhere except for two small spots underneath that are just showing discoloration, its not flakey or anything. It rides and drives smooth and feels like it still has plenty of power even though it has the NP249. There are no interior blemishes whatsoever except for a small hole in the passenger seat. The only thing wrong with it is that the sunroof dosent open (switch) The mirrors dont work (Another switch) and the AC dosent work along with an odd acting head unit. Otherwise everything is in perfect working order and it has 172,000 on the clock. It does have a slight whine from the drive line at low speeds but disappears after speeding up and the transmission when cold wont up-shift, you have to let off on the gas to get it to shift. When It warms up the problem disappears. I have the option of getting this for a trade on my cherokee, the only thing that is truely holding me back is the possibility of a problem with the grands transmission and the fact that my Cherokee is a 5-Speed. There are a few problems and its only got around 138,000 on it and I have put alot of work into it. I just wanted everyone's opinion as making the descion on my own has been kind of hard. Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails Need Opnions-001.jpg   Need Opnions-004.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

def keep the xj...you know whats going on with it....the other is auto, has cruddy tc, driveline issues....i would trade and take 1000 at least if you really want it
Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

I would keep what you have...

You say it has every option but most don't work, the trans has issues, DL vibrations. more miles and Its stock... Whats the up side?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

V8
Old 10-10-2011, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jomps
def keep the xj...you know whats going on with it....the other is auto, has cruddy tc, driveline issues....i would trade and take 1000 at least if you really want it
Well the way I looked at the transfercase problem was that I'd just swap it out for a 242 to gain the option of 2WD. I also did some looking into the whine and found that its a common thing on GC's and either can mean nothing or you may have to replace the pinion bearing along with the front yoke on the transfercase. I didnt check for play before or after I drove it, I didnt find it to be to loud so I dismissed it. Only problem with me getting more money for my cherokee is this. Got rear ended a month ago and just finished dealing with my insurance to keep it on the road. IMO its fine but my insurance has been trying to drop it from the insurance since the accident.

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj
I would keep what you have...

You say it has every option but most don't work, the trans has issues, DL vibrations. more miles and Its stock... Whats the up side?
It dosent seem to have any drive line vibes or anything but the transmission shifting was a definite when it was cold. Possibly the linkage but not to sure on that....espically with the GC's transmission history. It is stock but I guess my upside to all of it is the minimal amount of rust and how clean it is. All the brakes are new but the same goes for my cherokee. The 318 is still extremely healthy and still packs a decent punch considering what its sitting in. I guess for possibility wise it just seemed like an extremely nice GC considering where I'm from its almost impossible to avoid rust.
Attached Thumbnails Need Opnions-002.jpg  
Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

if you want it and are gonna do a lil work then go for it
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

...but your XJ is a beautiful thing and, in spite of the fact that it knows you're looking at another, yours still loves you. Name any other ride that has enough of a soul to forgive you for your transgressions.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cherryokee
...but your XJ is a beautiful thing and, in spite of the fact that it knows you're looking at another, yours still loves you. Name any other ride that has enough of a soul to forgive you for your transgressions.
That so dosent help, haha.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 PM

Engine: I6 4.0L

Keep the XJ, unless you have the means/time to fix all of those issues and your looking for a project. Yes V8 would be sex, but lord knows what else is gonna show up when you get it and start driving it around.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by XxXJ99xX
That so dosent help, haha.

HA! Yeah, I know. Guilt is a powerful tool, ain't it?!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jblack'00xj
Keep the XJ, unless you have the means/time to fix all of those issues and your looking for a project. Yes V8 would be sex, but lord knows what else is gonna show up when you get it and start driving it around.
Yeah thats true. And yes the V8 is awesome, Its just a 318 but the power is more then welcome. That and how smooth of a ride it is, Dont get me wrong I love my Cherokee but that GC puts it to shame in ride and interior quality. But its also very true it could b a future project.

Originally Posted by Cherryokee
HA! Yeah, I know. Guilt is a powerful tool, ain't it?!
Yeah it is, Cant say I've ever had it used against me in this fashion before though.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0l

Personally, I'd hang on to the XJ.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EvilBlackXJ
Personally, I'd hang on to the XJ.
x2
Old 10-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

How about I'll take your XJ and then anyone here can throw a rock and hit a ZJ that has a bunch of problems for you to buy?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Finn
How about I'll take your XJ and then anyone here can throw a rock and hit a ZJ that has a bunch of problems for you to buy?
I'll pass. Instead I picked up a 97 2-Door with the towing and Up-Country Package.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Need Opnions