Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need help

Just bought a 1996 Cherokee XJ with 56,000 original miles for my kid and looking to do a 3" lift to accommodate 31's. I was looking at the Rustys 3" kit with full leaf replacement, shocks, new coils. Rustys is saying I don't need to replace the control arms and doesn't mention the track bar.

Talking with a local dealer, they suggest replacing the control arms and lowering the track bar. Additionally, they're saying to do an add-a-leaf and not replace the rear leafs. Basically says their kit is incomplete. I'm new to this but want it done right. My son won't be doing any hardcore off roaming.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:52 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Well, don't listen to that "dealer", anyone who suggests an add a leaf is better than a full leaf pack is full of it. Sure, it can be done, but if you want it done right, you are on the right track with your first option. Go with a full suspension lift if you can, you'll thank yourself later. As with all things do your homework first, I suggest searching on this site and google and start reading. This topic has been covered incessantly.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...go-here-10579/
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/xj...mpanies-76868/

A couple of links to get you started...
Old 01-24-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks a bunch. Don't wanna screw it up. Just posted there.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

^^^ Premium advice from our friend roninofako.

Rusty's has a great price but I'd encourage you to look at another source on account of leaf springs. Rough Country and Rusty's both have a habit of making leaf springs that are just too short to work properly without extra work and parts. They bolt in just fine but the resulting rear shackle angle creates a pretty bad ride.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by salad
^^^ Premium advice from our friend roninofako.

Rusty's has a great price but I'd encourage you to look at another source on account of leaf springs. Rough Country and Rusty's both have a habit of making leaf springs that are just too short to work properly without extra work and parts. They bolt in just fine but the resulting rear shackle angle creates a pretty bad ride.
I was in no way endorsing Rusty's BTW...LOL...just do your homework and start reading. Don't let price be the deciding factor here, while it is a part of it, quality and customer service are also extremely important. Keep reading, you'll find out what's best for you and your needs.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bolting the RC leaves in is a pain in the ***, I had to crowbar mine flat and have someone put the bolt through.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by mr white
Bolting the RC leaves in is a pain in the ***, I had to crowbar mine flat and have someone put the bolt through.
I will say this, however...don't buy RC...garbage. There's those that will say otherwise. Every and any RC product I have used is complete junk IMHO...
Old 01-24-2014, 07:37 PM
CF Veteran

Junk? Eh, I wouldn't use that term. "Budget oriented", probably. I haven't broke anything. Breaking things constantly would be junky. Just a ****ty ride and not great flex is more "cheap" LOL.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:52 PM

Junk? Eh, I wouldn't use that term. "Budget oriented", probably. I haven't broke anything. Breaking things constantly would be junky. Just a ****ty ride and not great flex is more "cheap" LOL.
Get their adjustable arms and rebuild those crappy X-flex joints a few times and you'll see it from my perspective. Not to mention the fact that when I got them, brand new in the box, the threads in the adjustables were cut so bad I had to re-tap them myself as they wouldn't warranty it. So yeah, JUNK.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Made in China?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by roninofako
Get their adjustable arms and rebuild those crappy X-flex joints a few times and you'll see it from my perspective. Not to mention the fact that when I got them, brand new in the box, the threads in the adjustables were cut so bad I had to re-tap them myself as they wouldn't warranty it. So yeah, JUNK.
I didnt get the adjustables because I read reviews that the adjustables were ****. So. Yeah. When I bought it I knew exactly what I was getting so I guess I'm not butthurt about it like people who didn't read the reviews online. LOL.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:49 PM

I didnt get the adjustables because I read reviews that the adjustables were ****. So. Yeah. When I bought it I knew exactly what I was getting so I guess I'm not butthurt about it like people who didn't read the reviews online. LOL.
I bought them when they first came out. Wasn't a whole lot to go on at that point. Am I butthurt over it? You bet. I spent good money with them and got a substandard product. Which they didn't stand behind. Like I said, some people will say different, but from my first hand experience with the company and their product, I can safely say don't buy from them. Just my opinion. If you want to use their stuff go right ahead. No hard feelings.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by roninofako
I bought them when they first came out. Wasn't a whole lot to go on at that point. Am I butthurt over it? You bet. I spent good money with them and got a substandard product. Which they didn't stand behind. Like I said, some people will say different, but from my first hand experience with the company and their product, I can safely say don't buy from them. Just my opinion. If you want to use their stuff go right ahead. No hard feelings.
I'm not recommending them by any means, just saying if you know what you're getting into and are prepared to make it work its not bad for the money. I can see if you buy before there are sufficient reviews your feelings would be different though. If I snapped a control arm in half or something I'd say junk, but I haven't yet. So there's that. Again to anyone else reading this is not a recommendation or warning for or against RC. Just giving out my experiences.
1. rear leaves too short. With heavier load though they are fine (including slider weight) With really heavy load in the rear they sit almost flat.
2. Rear leaf rubber bushings will go out soon. Quicker if you drive it more.
3. Fixed control arms are fine. No problems with their "new" factory style bushings in those.
4. N20 shocks are fine.
This is just the basic 4.5in without their trackbar or brakelines. All it has is fixed lcas, 4.5 leaves, shocks, tcase drop, 4.5 springs. I wont say don't buy, just be aware of these things.