CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default my long arm upgrade and afterthoughts

theres been a few threads about "are long arms worth the money or not"
well I just made the upgrade and found out for myself. thought I'd share
this thread is for those of you who are researching long arms and have not made a decision yet

T&T long arm kit picked up for $650 used with new bushings and joints

ultra fancy

Name:  49F38797-A856-4702-9C49-C0382C01CA09-1501-00000B9BD8D5F2E0_zps99033650.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  216.3 KB

and the belly pan was much needed

Name:  361317B1-E02C-4156-9FBE-C6FA2B123F20-1501-00000B9BA5D3C721_zps090e158b.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  92.7 KB

before. axle rotates underneath the jeep using 29" extended shocks. ride quality is crappy. I was blowing through bushings on a bi-monthly basis

Name:  2192eb54-26e4-4dac-9581-db47ed28596a_zpsf9b6027b.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  262.9 KB
and after. hey what do you know. my limit straps go tight when my shock reaches 28.5" and my axle is still centered in the wheel well where it belongs! ride quality is much better. I can actually cruise through a bumpy trail at 15mph and take bumps with out jarring my neck. stability on the freeway was SIGNIFICANTLY improved.

Name:  FF4B7CB1-382A-49B1-B889-D30E8413FD59-1501-00000B9BE26BFA8D_zps20a6bdec.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  221.9 KB

Name:  A6E04300-D6D9-4B84-B1B0-EF5AADF6CB1B-1501-00000B9C2DA2FBBB_zpsa5a7bafc.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  155.5 KB

shelling out the money sucked. long arms are a great upgrade and I highly recommend that every jeep have them especially if you can find a good deal. but in my very humble opinion long arms are not absolutely necessary for every wheeler. but for me, they were

Last edited by Atmos; 08-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Now the thing you didn't do when you had the short arms is have a control arm drop bracket. So either way, whether you flexed or not, your axle would have been in an awkward location.

Long arm ride quality is probably just as good as one with control arm drop brackets (I have them for now), but you get the extra flex capability. That's all in your control arm geometry that determines your ride quality.

P.S. You don't even need a coil spring compressor to change your coils to bigger coils :P
Old 02-10-2015, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Digging up grave threads are you? And compressors are very nice to have by the way, makes the job quicker.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

For the wheeling atmos and I do, drop brackets are a very stupid mod.

RIP blue Prius.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
Digging up grave threads are you?
It's not like all the current posts of "how much lift is this" and "what tires to get" are any more interesting... looking for something to actually discuss and talk about that's worth talking about.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
Now the thing you didn't do when you had the short arms is have a control arm drop bracket. So either way, whether you flexed or not, your axle would have been in an awkward location.

Long arm ride quality is probably just as good as one with control arm drop brackets (I have them for now), but you get the extra flex capability. That's all in your control arm geometry that determines your ride quality.

P.S. You don't even need a coil spring compressor to change your coils to bigger coils :P
what's the argument here? drop brackets are still only just almost as good as long arms?

half the price but also half the clearance... I'll take the flat belly over almost any mod out there. go pound some pavement, I hear it's nice and flat in florida .!....!.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94

RIP blue Prius.
amen

Name:  F298E586-DECB-4B94-9C7A-7BC39BEBD199_zpsshlfep8v.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  95.9 KB

Old 02-11-2015, 06:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I bought the same exact kit used on craigslist for $300 then bought the rebuild kit for them. The geometry of them is just amazing. It rides so much better with 6" of lift than it did with 3.5" on short arms.

Btw I love the "like new" sticker on the jeep haha
Old 02-11-2015, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

drop brackets are a very stupid mod.
They haven't failed me yet and the ride's nice. Must not be that stupid.

Originally Posted by Atmos
half the price but also half the clearance... I'll take the flat belly over almost any mod out there. go pound some pavement, I hear it's nice and flat in florida .!....!.
You obviously don't know anything about pricing. Less than a couple hundred for drop brackets or multiple hundreds of dollars for long arms. We're talking about a 70% or higher price tag, depending on the brand of course. Nothing close to "half the price."

And yes Florida is nice and flat, but there are plenty of obstacles here, especially for Jeeptoberfest.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

They haven't failed me yet and the ride's nice. Must not be that stupid. You obviously don't know anything about pricing. Less than a couple hundred for drop brackets or multiple hundreds of dollars for long arms. We're talking about a 70% or higher price tag, depending on the brand of course. Nothing close to "half the price." And yes Florida is nice and flat, but there are plenty of obstacles here, especially for Jeeptoberfest.
You can't edit half my post and pick and choose what works for you. I would never run drop brackets for the stuff I wheel, if it was a mud/ trail/ over landing rig, sure.

I never said they wouldn't improve ride quality and suspension travel.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

You can't edit half my post and pick and choose what works for you. I would never run drop brackets for the stuff I wheel, if it was a mud/ trail/ over landing rig, sure.

I never said they wouldn't improve ride quality and suspension travel.
If you don't want me doing something to disrespect you, then it would be wise to return the favor and not /assume/ what people use their rigs for. Especially you, Atmos, with your seemingly endless onslaught of pavement insults aimed at various members on this forum.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP blue Prius.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150211_074643.png
Views: 138
Size:  385.0 KB
Old 02-11-2015, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Look guys.

What I'm merely pointing out in this thread is that it's a no-brainer the long arms improved his ride quality offroad, but it's simply because of the fact that the lift wasn't properly installed from the get-go. It is fairly common knowledge, or laws of geometry, that in order to have proper geometry, you need either control arm drop brackets or long arms after a certain amount of lift to retain an in-spec caster angle.

It isn't in the "type of wheeling you do" that is necessary to claim that long arms are better than nothing. And it isn't fair to say that "the wheeling we do is more intense than yours and therefore you shall be silenced." Long arms will be better than nothing anywhere you drive because they affect the alignment of your vehicle.

My point in resurrecting this post is, what if Atmos had control arm drops installed in the third picture of this post instead of absolutely nothing? – If he did, then his "axle under the Jeep" reasoning still would have been taken care of. He has gained additional flex capabilities because of the more freely-rotating geometry with the long arms, also a no-brainer, and that was the major improvement.

I do not understand why the hate against people that simply ask to question reality? How does anyone have the right to tell someone to "go pound pavement" followed by middle fingers for simply having the thought that, "hey... what if..."

If that's the way y'all treat your fellow members here for having input on your information, then you really shouldn't be here. You shouldn't act like you're the know-all tell-all of information, because I'll tell you something. There's always someone out there that knows more than you and has a more capable rig. Might not be me, but they're out there. And the wisest are usually the last ones to resort to name-calling when someone says something that they believe to be incorrect, they resort to downright good ol' debate.

Just something to think about. Have a little respect for your members, and don't hate for digging up old threads. I've found that starting new threads on topics leads to flaming just as much, because people don't want to "waste time" on topics that have already been covered. Ironically, if you bring back an old thread on a topic you're interested in, you still get flamed because people only want to deal with new topics. There's no winning here.

I'm sorry if I offended you from my input or by bringing up an old thread. Not my intention.

Last edited by thatXJguy; 02-11-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

It isn't in the "type of wheeling you do" that is necessary to claim that long arms are better than nothing. And it isn't fair to say that "the wheeling we do is more intense than yours and therefore you shall be silenced." Long arms will be better than nothing anywhere you drive because they affect the alignment of your vehicle. My point in resurrecting this post is, what if Atmos had control arm drops installed in the third picture of this post instead...
It's has everything to do with what you wheel. Every picture I have seen of your Jeep is clean and on the street. No dents, no scratches, no rock rash. Look at Jake from state farm's crossmember... Look at my crossmember...

Would drop brackets to the same thing as long arms for Atmos? Sure.
Would he install them? No, but let's talk hypothetically.
He would come back on this forum and say he would never do it again. Ask him about the Durango box.

Our types of wheeling are different, hence for what we wheel... They are a stupid mod. Not a stupid mod period, just not smart for rock crawling.

We're talking about two different things. For crawling, no get long arms. Look at every linked buggy or rig. Long arms, no drop brackets.

For anything else in the world other than crawling, sure buy drop brackets they will do you good.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

It's has everything to do with what you wheel. Every picture I have seen of your Jeep is clean and on the street. No dents, no scratches, no rock rash. Look at Jake from state farm's crossmember... Look at my crossmember...
Then the obvious is obvious, you haven't seen every picture of my Jeep. Need I say more? Don't judge. It's not your place.

Would drop brackets to the same thing as long arms for Atmos? Sure.
Would he install them? No, but let's talk hypothetically.
He would come back on this forum and say he would never do it again. Ask him about the Durango box.
Cool, so that basically brings my point off as relevant to this thread. So again, I ask, why the hate? Y'all need to just cool down and be more friendly, that's the downright truth.

Our types of wheeling are different, hence for what we wheel... They are a stupid mod. Not a stupid mod period, just not smart for rock crawling.

We're talking about two different things. For crawling, no get long arms. Look at every linked buggy or rig. Long arms, no drop brackets.

For anything else in the world other than crawling, sure buy drop brackets they will do you good.
I agree with you. So what's the problem in what I said, exactly? Just don't put it down like a complete waste of time when it fits someone else's needs.

Quick Reply: my long arm upgrade and afterthoughts