Sponsored by: DashLynx

My antenna broke off today

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My antenna broke off today

Hi guys,

I own a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/20...122732/index2/

Today I underestimated a garage door I was trying to enter, the door caught the antenna and broke it off.
See pics:

As you can see it broke off at the bottom where the metal starts.
What are my options here?? Can I weld that sucker back on, or do I have to replace the entire antenna??
Old 04-06-2016, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Auto zone sells them for 12 bucks
Old 04-06-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Either your local Jeep dealer or an auto parts store will have your antenna... for the best possible radio reception and GPS reception (if your WK2 has that option), I'd highly recommend the genuine MOPAR replacement.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by RED RIVER
Auto zone sells them for 12 bucks
Originally Posted by 94zj318
Either your local Jeep dealer or an auto parts store will have your antenna... for the best possible radio reception and GPS reception (if your WK2 has that option), I'd highly recommend the genuine MOPAR replacement
Thanks guys.

Can I install the antenna myself or should I let a mechanic do it??
Old 04-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Esco
Can I install the antenna myself or should I let a mechanic do it??
It should screw in just like a regular bolt. Normally anybody with a working hand can replace one of these screw-in antennas.

BUT...

You've broken off the bolt inside the antenna mount. It will be in the way when you try to install the new antenna. They're not screwed in with a lot of torque, so if there's enough of the screw sticking out to get a pair of needle nose pliers on it, you may be able to unscrew it right out. If not, you'll need to drill a hole in the middle of the screw and use a screw extractor to back it out.

You can get a cheap ($8) screw extractor set from Harbor Freight that comes with drill bits and extractors that will probably work. For more stubborn broken studs, you would want a better set that won't break as easily. The HF kit should be fine for your particular problem.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
It should screw in just like a regular bolt. Normally anybody with a working hand can replace one of these screw-in antennas.

BUT...

You've broken off the bolt inside the antenna mount. It will be in the way when you try to install the new antenna. They're not screwed in with a lot of torque, so if there's enough of the screw sticking out to get a pair of needle nose pliers on it, you may be able to unscrew it right out. If not, you'll need to drill a hole in the middle of the screw and use a screw extractor to back it out.

You can get a cheap ($8) screw extractor set from Harbor Freight that comes with drill bits and extractors that will probably work. For more stubborn broken studs, you would want a better set that won't break as easily. The HF kit should be fine for your particular problem
Thank you very much, Mr. Shaky

Here's a close-up pic of how deep the antenna break is

Last edited by Esco; 04-08-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Yeah, you have to get that out. If it's really loose, you might be able turn it with the tip of your finger or a pencil eraser. Or you could JB Weld another screw to the end of it to give you something to turn to back it out, but you'd better be very, very careful that you don't get any on the threads and weld that thing in there permanently.

Do you have a Dremel? I might be tempted to take a Dremel with a fine tipped cutting bit and very carefully cut a slot in the end of that screw so I could get a small screwdriver into it.

The screw extractors will work. I was just in HF today and saw that my local store stocks them, so grab your 20% off coupon out of the mail and head there if you can't find an easier way to get it out. I definitely wouldn't pay someone to do that unless I just couldn't figure out a way to do it myself.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:45 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Good advice...but you could also get a fine tip center punch, and a hammer, and GENTLY tap the punch on the outside edge of the offending threaded portion, in a counter-clockwise fashion. If it moves easily, get enough of the threaded portion out to grab with some needle nose, and Bob's your uncle. I would only drill and use an EZ out as a last resort. The threaded part is probably brass, or some kind of pot metal, so it will be pretty soft, and easy to extract...when you start drilling, you have the potential of damaging the threads on the receptacle, if you don't get it dead nuts on...heck, even a pair of fine tip tweezers might do it...put something on it, and find out, if it moves easy, bonus!