Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Most disappointing mods

Most disapointing mods you have installed. They dont have to be bad just something that fell short of your expectations.

My most disapointing mod was my Reese trailer hitch... After assembling it according to the instuctions, and it not fitting due to width set, I attatched it the right way... but it hangs really low and out from the rear. So not only is it down too low inhibiting my departure angle, but it is also too far out, further inhibiting departure angle, increasing chance of theft, and I bang my damn shin on it every once in a while..
But I cant complain too much as it and a t -connector trailer harness were gifts...
Old 08-10-2011, 01:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Definitely my 31s i was looking forward to having them they were used but alright condition i put them on instead of my stock 29s which did amazing on the trail and i take off roading and couldnt get anywere
Old 08-10-2011, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mounting my lights on the hoop of my bumper. I love the way they look up there and they're in a great spot for lighting but they're in the way when working under the hood.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:54 AM
AoA

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.2L bored out 4.0L I6

lifting 3"
It just doesn't seem like as much as the pictures...
Old 08-10-2011, 02:01 AM

Engine: i6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by AoA
lifting 3"
Just lifted my xj 3" and I agree. It seems bigger for sure, but when I see almost any XJ on here, I think "man, that's way bigger than mine"

Just put my lift on Sunday and i'm trying to figure out the easiest way to get another 1.5-2 inches out of it
Old 08-10-2011, 02:07 AM
AoA

Originally Posted by chadh92
Just lifted my xj 3" and I agree. It seems bigger for sure, but when I see almost any XJ on here, I think "man, that's way bigger than mine"

Just put my lift on Sunday and i'm trying to figure out the easiest way to get another 1.5-2 inches out of it
yea, you park next to a stocker and you can't really tell a difference unless you look at the mirrors and roof.. kinda blows... easiest way to lift more cheap and quick is 2" spacers in front and 2" shackles in back, shim it and tc drop and you wont have vibes, but the front will need an adjustable trackbar and LCA's, so no matter what it'll cost a pretty penny

all of which i plan on doing in the near future, i already have the 2" spacers.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 AM

Engine: i6 4.0L High Output

Yep...not to mention the rear brake line will probably need replacing around 4.5-5 inches of lift.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 AM
AoA

Originally Posted by chadh92
Yep...not to mention the rear brake line will probably need replacing around 4.5-5 inches of lift.
i gotta replace the entire lines from the master cylinder and back, so oh well xD
Old 08-10-2011, 02:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by AoA
lifting 3"
When I lift Im going three... as I dont want to open the can of worms of an sye
Old 08-10-2011, 03:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ivantheigor
When I lift Im going three... as I dont want to open the can of worms of an sye
Ya once you pass 3 you get into expensive territory lol. Like above I want to go higher but I'm at 4.5 with 32's so I'm at 6" over stock but it seems small now
Old 08-10-2011, 06:28 AM

Year: 1998 Classic
Engine: 4.0

I would have to say my hood vents are a disappointment. Yes, they look good and it is fun to watch the heat rise out of them at stop lights. But put vents on that you like the looks of because the vents will not offer the 'miracle cure' for over heating that many web surfers claim.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Interesting. I thought about hood vents ... cutting into my XJ would be the hard part ... but my overheating is only due to blowing the fuse for the electric fan from time to time. I'll be sure not to open that can of worms.

Back on topic ... most disappointing mod: the stupid Weathertech window visors I recently received as a B-day gift. The design is incredibly stupid especially compared to the Ventvisors I removed. Thank goodness they're in-channel so I can ditch them soon.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

I regret putting a cold air intake in place of the stock airbox. It looks cool but anytime I'm on the trails and there's a bit of water I have to take it real slow to ensure it doesn't splash up on the filter. Gathering parts to do a cowl intake.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ Rat
I would have to say my hood vents are a disappointment. Yes, they look good and it is fun to watch the heat rise out of them at stop lights. But put vents on that you like the looks of because the vents will not offer the 'miracle cure' for over heating that many web surfers claim.
Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
Interesting. I thought about hood vents ... cutting into my XJ would be the hard part ... but my overheating is only due to blowing the fuse for the electric fan from time to time. I'll be sure not to open that can of worms.
It all depends on WHAT vents you do and WHERE you locate them. Different spots will help release heat better. Now, if you're already having overheating issues, it's probably not because you need vents. It's 'cuz there's something else wrong. That said, with a cooling system that functions how it should, the vents do help at low speeds, but they're certainly no "miracle cure" like some have said. With all the vehicles I've worked on, built, destroyed, and rebuilt, there is no such thing as a "miracle cure" for ANY vehicle. Only things that help or hinder. Hood vents, when done correctly, can definitely be a help. I know I've been very satisfied with mine.

Anyway, back on topic - my 31's. Should have just waited and gotten 33's.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

My 31's. I LOVE them for what they are. They dig amazing, have road noise, and look great but they just aint a mud tire. Now I'm having to sell this great tire after only Putting 5k miles on them and ge 1/2 of what I paid for them, and then spending $1,000 on new 33" mud tires. Should have waited for the lift and get the tires I wanted then.

Brandon

Quick Reply: Most disappointing mods