Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Might pick up another one

Ok I recently saw an ad and placed a call to a local guy who has a 89 xj 4wd 5 speed for sale. Only wants 800 for it. When I talked to him he said everything functions properly such as shifting gears/in and out 4wd. I will be making a trip later this week to test drive/inspect. Should I just get it anyways if it runs fine and start a full trail rig. Mine now is a DD. I will post pics after I take some this week.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I say go for it. See if you can work the price down a little. Just make sure everything works before you drive off with it.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

That's the plan. If it runs and I can drive it home ill prolly buy it. Can't go wrong with any jeep. If anything I have a parts jeep. Not too familiar with the older xjs tho. Anything to look out for?
Old 03-21-2010, 11:05 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

The usual things: rust, proper operation of 4WD, etc. Take it out for a test drive.
  • Drive over some potholes. If it seems like an overly forceful impact, the shocks may need replacing.
  • Sitting still, push in the clutch and put the vehicle into first gear. Dump the clutch. Does the vehicle lurches forward and take a second to shut down? The clutch may need to be replaced. Does it immediately stop without moving forward? The clutch is good.
  • Check for rot in the rocker panels, and underbody. The floorboards and cargo deck are pretty susceptible to it, especially in an older vehicle.
  • Check on maintenance schedules. When was the oil changed last? What did they use for oil? How often did they do it?
  • When was the transmission fluid last changed? How about the filter?
  • Differential fluid changed?
  • Coolant changed? Was the system flushed and cleaned? New thermostat?
  • Check all the hoses. Rubber gets brittle and degrades over time. An 89 will likely have some pretty rotted hoses if they haven't made the effort to change them.
  • Shift through the gears with the clutch in. Make sure every gear engages solidly and cleanly.
  • Try out the 4WD, make sure it works as well.
  • Push down on the front of the vehicle, hard, then let go. Does it bounce up and down for a bit before slowly coming to a stop? Your front shocks are done. Good shocks should halt the up and down movement of the vehicle after one bounce.
  • Does it have The Cherokee Sag? You're looking for a sagging rear end, like it's got a loaded diaper. Say hello to old leaf springs. My Cherokee had it BAD when I got it...they were almost horizontal.
What engine does it have in there? I'm not too familiar with the older Jeeps, so someone will have to chime in on those particulars. Like I said, see if maybe you can work the price down. It's a buyer's market out there; if they're looking to get rid of it for that cheap, there's either something major wrong with it that you'll spot immediately, or they need money badly. Either way you have an advantage.