Mechanic needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Mechanic needed!!!

I live in the bronx and own a 1999 jeep cherokee xj limited. the ***** is bad *** and is my favorite vehicle ive ever owned. there is nothing major wrong with it but it is 15 years old and has some kinks in it......like the rattling in the front and rear whenever i go over bumps. it gets pretty annoying especially when I live in NY and the roads are horrible. i am also in the process of buying a Rough Country 3 inch lift kit and would like to get it installed. yes i can go to any mechanic and see what they say but the truth is my Jeep isnt a vehicle that they are used to seeing and working on. truthfully i dont trust them out here. so i was wondering if anyone knows of a mechanic who does know his or her way around a Cherokee and can help me resolve my rattling issues and install the lift kit. I am willing to travel to Westchester or Long Island if i have to. any info would be greatly appreciated. THANK YO JEEP FAMILY!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Default Jeep Wrench

Here Ya Go:

No Excuses, Inc.
16 Front Street
New Egypt, NJ. 08533
800-923-JEEP.com

I do my own work, but they lifted a great job on a friend's cherokee. No complaints fom him 2 years later.

Knucklebuster
Old 04-07-2015, 01:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

If it's a rattling front and rear, check the shocks. They're probably shot
Old 04-07-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

The best way to gauge a mechanic's abilities, and keep them honest, is to know as much about your vehicle as you can so that you can communicate with them most effectively. XJs aren't exactly maintenance-free, and you will be working on it often if you start off-roading it.

You should try to look into the rattles you've got with your own eyes and ears. You might be able to fix them yourself and save money, or at least you will be able to confidently explain to the mechanic what to look for. That will help ensure accurate diagnosis. A shady mechanic will be less likely to be shady if the customer, you, knows what they will be doing.

Sadly, good mechanics are becoming scarcer, becoming obsolete through the consume consume consume plug-and-pray computer diagnostic systems forced onto us from TPTB. The OBD computer isn't going to help a bit with lifting a Jeep properly...
Old 04-07-2015, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by JPXJMOAB
If it's a rattling front and rear, check the shocks. They're probably shot
thanks for the reply....about a year ago i had kyb mono max shocks installed and all was fine then. over the last couple of months is when i noticed the noise. was told to check all the bushings. gonna start there cause it seems the the cheepest fix.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Knucklebuster
Here Ya Go:

No Excuses, Inc.
16 Front Street
New Egypt, NJ. 08533
800-923-JEEP.com

I do my own work, but they lifted a great job on a friend's cherokee. No complaints fom him 2 years later.

Knucklebuster
thanks! will definately check them out
Old 04-07-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy 8s
The best way to gauge a mechanic's abilities, and keep them honest, is to know as much about your vehicle as you can so that you can communicate with them most effectively. XJs aren't exactly maintenance-free, and you will be working on it often if you start off-roading it.

You should try to look into the rattles you've got with your own eyes and ears. You might be able to fix them yourself and save money, or at least you will be able to confidently explain to the mechanic what to look for. That will help ensure accurate diagnosis. A shady mechanic will be less likely to be shady if the customer, you, knows what they will be doing.

Sadly, good mechanics are becoming scarcer, becoming obsolete through the consume consume consume plug-and-pray computer diagnostic systems forced onto us from TPTB. The OBD computer isn't going to help a bit with lifting a Jeep properly...
ive been doing alot of research and have been getting familiar with my Jeep. ive done some basic tune ups, and repairs on it and so far so good! i would love to do as much work as possible my self and its why i joined the Cherokee forum...to get as much help and info i can get from guys who know Cherokees. thanks for the info Crazy 8!