Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

makin a 98 new again.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default makin a 98 new again.

I have a 98 Cherokee that I bought new, drove daily, and now want to mod. I have been reading up on lifting Jeeps...and everyone seems to sell the best. So, what is the tried and true products? I don't know anyone that rides so I could use your advice. Also, does lifting mean lengthing the drive shafts? There is lots of talk on shocks and springs but, It would make sence to me that the driveshafts would need some adjustments or mods too?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:34 PM

Location: Holland Landing, Ontario, Canada (North of Toronto)
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6 Cylinder

from what i can gather (i'm on a stock XJ myself) you dont need to lengthen the driveshaft untill u get into 3.5"+ and even then a transfer case drop usually suffices. i'm sure someone who knows a bit more than i do will help you out but thats just what i've found out.

HTH
Old 06-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

For lift you have a lot of options. How tall are you wanting to go? how much are you looking to spend? I'd say Rough Country, Rubicon Express, or Old man Emu. Rough country will get you in the Air for Cheap, RE will get you in the Air for more but its also a very very excellent kit, and you have OME which won't get you that high 2 or 3 inch kits unless you get the DPG offroad Hybrid kit that'll get you 5 inches or so. Its high priced but a lot of people seem to love the ride! I have a set of their coils that I haven't installed yet and I plan on going to their leafs and shocks in the future.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

those three companies are the most reputable there are more it really depends on you budget you dont necesarily need to lengthen your driveshafts but you will need an SYE to prevent binding in you rear driveshaft at anythng above 3-4 inches depending on year and driveline setup i run a RC 3" series 2 kit with 31s and no SYE no problems but it depends on what you want to do wit the truck search around and find a tire size you are happy with and build the rig around the tire size
Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998, 1999

How about Claytons, Rock Krawler or T&T lifts. I'm doing my research on them... Hard to swallow the high prices though! Most things that are the best cost more!
In this post a guy said to try dpg-offroad.com
They take a lift like a Rubicon Express and add more components to make it better and more complete. They seem well thought out and the RE's aren't too much there.
I already have the T&T frame stiffeners but the guy at Claytons was very helpful and said their PD-XJ45 which is 4.5" of long arm lift would work with the T&T stiffeners. I received a response from Claytons the same day which is the first step in Customer relations...
I'm looking into the 3-link lifts also, you might want to research them. Besides this site, naxja.org is a good source for this research.
Mike

Last edited by Mike1998XJ; 06-16-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:52 AM

thanx,
that was the direction I was lookin' for.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:45 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Yeah I have yet to install my new to me lift kit, but just from reading hear a good rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. Some of the other things I've picked up just from reading here: 1) install it yourself, you'll save a bundle on labor, be able to fix it if breaks or upgrade in the future and in general be better acquainted with your XJ, 2) if you go for a 'budget boost' use shackles and/or an add-a-leaf not spacers on the leaves and 3) the first thing you do after installing your lift is drive it to an alignment shop. Oh, and welcome to CF!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:42 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

Originally Posted by Mike1998XJ
How about Claytons, Rock Krawler or T&T lifts. I'm doing my research on them... Hard to swallow the high prices though! Most things that are the best cost more!
In this post a guy said to try dpg-offroad.com
They take a lift like a Rubicon Express and add more components to make it better and more complete. They seem well thought out and the RE's aren't too much there.
I already have the T&T frame stiffeners but the guy at Claytons was very helpful and said their PD-XJ45 which is 4.5" of long arm lift would work with the T&T stiffeners. I received a response from Claytons the same day which is the first step in Customer relations...
I'm looking into the 3-link lifts also, you might want to research them. Besides this site, naxja.org is a good source for this research.
Mike
Those are all good companies too! I would personally get ahold of Jason at Rough Country or Dirk over at DPG and pick up either a RC or an OME lift but i don't have anything bad to say about any of the mentioned companies just my .02
Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998, 1999

Yep... I just had a guy stop over that has installed several lifts over the years... He had a lot of horror stories about lifts not fitting correctly, bubble-gum welds, lowsy customer service, wrong parts shipped to him... and on and on.
So the last one he did he selected separate components that he liked and then built many of the parts himself... He said his 5.5" was comparable to others he rode in without the high price... That might be an idea... Have welder... why not Fabricate!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 PM

Year: 1998

i am thinking about just a 2" kit. anyone have any advice on just a 2" kit? should i change the shocks? how big can on go with the rubber still using a stock 15" rim??