Looking to replace headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 v6
Default Looking to replace headlights

I'm looking to get better headlights. I can't see at night. I have a 2000. If there are any hacks to changing out the bulbs for something brighter. Or the best ones I can buy. I changed out the headlights thinking they were just dim but nothing better. Also looking infor so the best small lift that I can put in to make it look more "perky". Right now she sags in the back end.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

The lights are dim because resistance builds up over time in your headlight circuit, causing the light to dim and current to be dispersed as heat. That heat causes further damage, especially to the headlight switch. In extreme cases the headlight switch will catch fire.

The first thing you should do is brighten up your headlights and protect your switch by installing one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-HEADLIGHT-RELAY-WIRING-HARNESS-2-HEADLAMP-LIGHT-BULB-SOCKET-PLUGS-7-/330997592807?rmvSB=true
The wiring harness powers the lights directly from the battery, bypassing the headlight circuit. It uses relays to switch the lights so that you no longer run full power through the headlight switch. Your lights will brighten noticeably just with the harness. It takes 20 minutes to an hour to install depending on your skill with a screwdriver and drill, and it's usually a very simple installation.

After that, the best bang for the buck with regard to headlights is an upgrade to H4 housings and bulbs. A lot of us prefer the European standard "E-code" housings because they have a better cutoff pattern than DOT housings. Autopal is the budget choice for housings, and they seem to work fine.

A set of 60/55W bulbs will give you slightly better than stock brightness. I run 100/55W bulbs in mine to give me stock brightness low beams and hellaciously bright high beams. The H4 bulbs also come in a variety of color temperatures, which determine how blue the light is. Stay away from really blue lights (identified by high color temperature numbers). The best color is 4300K, which is halfway between household bulbs and daylight. Don't go above 6500K.

If you would prefer to stick with sealed beam lights, look at Sylvania Silverstar or GE Nighthawks. But don't just upgrade the headlights themselves without that wiring harness. If you just replace the bulbs, they will still be dim, and you'll still be damaging your headlight switch.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:13 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Here ya go.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/he...5/#post2993739
Old 11-24-2016, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The thing is the rear leaf springs sag bad on the xjs,If they are flat they are pretty much trash.You can get oem replacemnts that should give you a little lift because how much they have sagged.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 v6

Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate it.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For the headlights http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_02.htm and get the relay harness linked above youll be shocked at how much light you got after.