Looking at joining the XJ club but need tips on my future purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Looking at joining the XJ club but need tips on my future purchase

After weeks and weeks of research on what 4x4 I should get to fit my needs, I was finally pointed in the direction of the Cherokee XJ. Now I've begun my scouring of craigslist to find my truck but I would love some input on what I should be looking for, what I should look out for, etc

Basically, I'm looking for a truck that can handle the recreational activities I like (snowboarding, camping, fishing, etc) but does not need to be a daily driver as I have a more economical (gas wise) that takes care of that. I don't need to do any serious wheeling but would like to not have to worry about snow or basic trails. So I'd like to buy something that is already lightly modded or stock at a good price.

What can you guys tell me to help me along with my search? What price range sounds reasonable? What questions should I be asking specifically to these trucks? If I buy a stock XJ, what would the basic setup be for what I want to use the truck for?

Sorry to bombard everyone with questions here. You guys are great. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Where are you located?
This might help others point you in a direction to handle your area best.
What resources do you have at your disposal?(welders? Tools? Time? Cash?)

It sounds to me that you have a little time, so i would find a good stock Jeep with low miles (less chance of an abused rig this way)
Lifting your Jeep and getting your hands dirty will give you a great understanding of your Jeep.
If i were to do this again i would have done a "bastard pack" in the rear to save money. Shoot for 4.5" to open up possibilities but make sure you understand what all is involved with this.
(you can always drive a stock Jeep many places but if you rush a lift you could run into problems that you didn't foresee.)

Read someone's build thread to see how they went around lifting/modding there's.

Ask questions but don't forget that google is your friend, good luck and happy jeeping to you! (when you find that one)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM

I live in the SF Bay Area. I have time to make my purchase so I'm not looking to rush into anything. I don't have many resources at my disposal at this point in time as far as tools/welders go. I'm pretty handy with a wrench when I have one in my hands and I take/follow directions well.

As for cash, I'm looking at buying at 20+ year old car so I got that part covered but I don't plan on dropping a significant amount of money into upgrading. What I mean is, I'm interested in doing a basic lift (one that won't require a significant amount of additional modifications to support the lift) and basic engine mods. Again, I'm mostly interested in having something that is capable as well as good looking. However I'm not trying to build a crawler or anything.

I'll definitely take a look at the build threads. My basic XJ knowledge is lacking and I'm learning new things every day. Thanks for your input and continued help!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at Craigslist, and ebay, for your area of the country and see what the vehicles actually sell for.
Watch the vehicles in the $$ and year range you are thinking of..

Some people think their vehicle is the best in the world, but

many will ask for a fair price...

You have to decide what is fair...good luck...
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM

which body style do you like, New or Old? if you like the old body style look for a 96, its the last year of the old body style first year of OBD2 which is kinda the best of both worlds
Old 01-17-2013, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bud...herokee-58797/

This is a good thing to look at.

Might be able to find a used 3"kit cheap.
Fit some bigger tires and have fun, you can go as far as your imagination and wallet allow you to go when it comes to possibilities for the XJ.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I looked for a good XJ around the bay area for a long time. Mostly its Grands. Lots of XJs driven by older guys who probably keep them since they're versatile.

based on my 1 year craiglist search:

East bay-- most were junkers. San Jose and Santa Cruz you can find more XJs

Peninsula not so many but I eventually found a ZJ with GREAT seats--leather was perfect (maybe was replaced...dont know) and bonus it was the upcountry package. I don't think the owner knew. she seemed to be the 2nd owner based on the paperwork with it.

And from what I saw in THIS area--

XJs for sale were only with a lift kits and fixed up already so $$$$$$$.

Rear tailgate struts, always dead.

Menlo Park/east palo alto--every single one I saw out there was crap. (keep in mind there is a part of menlo park that is WORSE than EPA--and that was always where someone had one for sale)

More Grand Cherokee Limiteds (V8) than the Laredo (V6) for sale.

San Fran--always body damage, or didn't run or needed "new transmission" or something.

XJ owners always wanted too much IMO...

Pick and Pull in North San Jose always has a LOT of ZJs, and an OK amount of XJs, but the XJs are always totally trashed.

Lots of Eddie Bauer /orvis ZJs out here--and at the junk yard too..good for finding stuff to put on your "regular" ZJ

got my 93 ZJ for $1,800 in Palo Alto, 155K miles on it.

Forget dealers of course....
Old 08-07-2013, 01:44 PM

Still searching for my XJ. Things have heated up lately and I may be real close to making my purchase within the next few weeks. I have narrowed my search down to two options at this point:

This one

and this one