Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking into a Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking into a Cherokee

Hey Guys,

So I've been driving an 07 Patriot for awhile. It's been great in the city, size and mpg are nice. But unfortunately I'm kinda limited when it comes to off roading. So I'm going to look into getting a (Grand) Cherokee for my weekend adventures. I'm debating between the Grand and the Cherokee, can't decide between the two.. If I go with a Grand, it will be anything before or around 2003, since that's the style I like. And then probably the later versions of the Cherokee, just cause of age.

Anyway, if I get the vehicle stock, I will be lifting it and throwing some bigger tires on it. My question is, is it a wise choice to do it myself, or should I look for an already upgraded one? Obviously the one that already has the lift and stuff will be more worked, but is it that that crucial?

Edit: I somehow missed the Introduction thread, this might have been more suited there. Sorry. I hate when I see posts that belong in other sections on forums.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

If you get a "grand" cherokee, then you wont have helped your current off road problems. Might as well just keep your current vehicle. I will admit that they are fancier on the inside and have all that pritty plastic wood but they are not nearly as capable off road. Too much bulky stuff. stay basic go with XJ! If you have the money to buy a jeep and a lift then go that route because if you have the money why buy something someone has already trailed the mess out of. Get a unmolested stocker and then get all new stuff.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:38 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dans01classic
If you get a "grand" cherokee, then you wont have helped your current off road problems. Might as well just keep your current vehicle. I will admit that they are fancier on the inside and have all that pritty plastic wood but they are not nearly as capable off road. Too much bulky stuff. stay basic go with XJ! If you have the money to buy a jeep and a lift then go that route because if you have the money why buy something someone has already trailed the mess out of. Get a unmolested stocker and then get all new stuff.
Agree X2. If you get one that someone else has done you have no idea if it was done right. So far on mine I have spent most time and money fixing what the last owner screwed up. Besides, half the fun is putting your own rig together and making it YOURS.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 91 Limited

Go for the xj! If it's a trail rig you will be happy with it. And try to get one that's not lifted yet, like said before it will be yours! And you don't need to worry about what they half***ed.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

And there's your answer. You want a truly capable offroad rig, go with the XJ and lift it yourself.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

yeah if you're looking for a offroad vehicle. go with Cherokee. Grand Cherokee is the upper end for more luxury.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Again, XJ (I'd recommend either 92-96, or a 99) and lift it yourself. It's not he same when someone else has done the work already and you don't know what they screwed up while having it.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:52 AM

also when someone else has lifted it, you dont know how much abuse they have put it through
Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

My stock ZJ can go anyplace a stock XJ will go.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bustedback
I agree, but the GC's are more prone to tranny and electrical problems from what I've heard. That, and for a weekend wheeler, I'd rather have a XJ that I don't mind getting a few scrapes and dents in. They just don't good on a GC IMO.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Bustedback
I agree with this, both are solid axle both have good 4wd systems. They will do just as good as a stock XJ and will even flex better than an XJ with the same lift due to the rear coils
Old 10-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the responses, everyone! Thanks for the info on the Grand Cherokees, I can also understand what you guys mean. I also agree with not buying an already lifted one. Should make it easier for me then to find a vehicle, since I'm just looking for a stock Cherokee. If I happen to come across a lifted XJ that has been recently rebuilt, should I still consider it?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wotf
Thanks for the responses, everyone! Thanks for the info on the Grand Cherokees, I can also understand what you guys mean. I also agree with not buying an already lifted one. Should make it easier for me then to find a vehicle, since I'm just looking for a stock Cherokee. If I happen to come across a lifted XJ that has been recently rebuilt, should I still consider it?

Thanks.
Yeah You can still consider it just make sure they have papers of when it was installed. If its been installed for a couple years I wouldnt trust it. make sure you know what kind of lift and all it is.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Oh OK. I'll read up on lifts and other modifications so I'm at least knowledgeable.

Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:03 PM

yeah no problem

Quick Reply: Looking into a Cherokee