Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for a cheap lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Looking for a cheap lift kit

2001 Jeep Cherokee sport 2wd. Im looking to start doing general upgrades on my jeep, my cherokee tends to kind of dip down on the left side specially the front so im starting the upgrades with a suspension/tires. Im not going to be doing off-road activities just mainly want my vehicle to run good and have a more slighty aggressive look to it. Could i please get suggestions on what lift kit to go for, i was looking at around a 3 inch rough country kit http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...kit-670xc.html or http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...-kit-670c.html even though i dont know much about the difference if anyone could clear that up as well. Open to other brands too and also what size tires are recommended for a 3 inch lift??
Old 12-24-2017, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Rough country isn't the best. If you want a decent lift kit for cheap I would recommend Zone or Trail Master. Get one with the full leaf packs instead of the add a leaf, the add a leaf tends to sag quickly on a set of worn out stock leaf springs. With a 3" lift you can run a 31x10.50x15 with little to no fender trimming.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

The best and only cheap lift i would use is http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...-pack-kit.html
Old 12-24-2017, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

I have heard good things about Rustys but there shipping is unbelievably expensive. By the time you buy there lift and pay the shipping you could have gotten something better for the same price.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Rough country isn't the best. If you want a decent lift kit for cheap I would recommend Zone or Trail Master. Get one with the full leaf packs instead of the add a leaf, the add a leaf tends to sag quickly on a set of worn out stock leaf springs. With a 3" lift you can run a 31x10.50x15 with little to no fender trimming.
I know everyone tends to have their personal preference when it comes to lift kits.
To at least attempt to be objective about it, what are some of the things that you feel make either Zone or Trail Master is better than say a RC lift of the same height?

Secondary question... Say going with a max of a 3" lift, for those who have it and those who have working knowledge of it.... even though it's a shorter lift, is it true that any lift opens the can of worms of always having to deal with parts wearing prematurely, etc.?
Min. stock part replacement when doing it would be, lower control arms, track bar, longer drop pitman arm, TC drop? anything else? Assuming longer shocks/springs/leaves come with the lift kit. Does the lift put anything else at a different angle that would cause premature wear or cause for concern?
I think these are valid questions to have answered before anyone does a lift on their Jeep. That way you know what you're really getting into before you start.

Last edited by RocketMouse; 12-25-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

trail master isn't much better, if not exactly on par with rough country imo...we were a dealer for them until earlier this year. Quality was severely lacking, and their customer service is extremely lacking.....rustys, zone, iron rock off-road, and Rubicon express would be what I recommend. All are on par with each other, or relatively close. I would be fine with any of them...and yes do make sure you go full leaf packs.

Last edited by Martlor13; 12-25-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
I know everyone tends to have their personal preference when it comes to lift kits.
To at least attempt to be objective about it, what are some of the things that you feel make either Zone or Trail Master is better than say a RC lift of the same height?
I really don't have a preference. I have 3 4x4 vehicles, all with different brand lifts. I've lifted 3 xjs that I've owned, all with different brands. I just go with whatever had the best deal or during sale times haha... I also install lifts pretty frequently for customers..... so ill try and answer this question. I'm going to leave the trailmaster out because I don't really think they are all that better if at all, having dealt with their products for a few years. But let's say the zone 3 inch vs the rc 3 inch...for one rc doesn't offer a 3 inch with full packs. At least I didn't see one on their site. Secondly, the fitment and overall material quality on the zone is much better. I've installed a few rc kits that just don't lineup properly. Haven't had that issue with zone yet. Durability of the rc products isn't great as well. Their bushings are notoriuosly bad... when you offer extremely cheap lifts, well, one can't reasonably expect quality. RC makes a living off new guys in the lift game that are looking for the cheapest way to lift their vehicle. Quantity over quality is their goal.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

My 3" Trail Master rides better than my buddy's jeep with the Rough Country 3". My springs haven't sagged yet either like the Rough Country ones tend to do after a few months. Zone, Rough country, and Trial Master all make a 3" lift with new rear leaf packs.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

My 3" Trail Master rides better than my buddy's jeep with the Rough Country 3". My springs haven't sagged yet either like the Rough Country ones tend to do after a few months. Zone, Rough country, and Trial Master all make a 3" lift with new rear leaf packs.
just off numerous experiences with trailmaster, I won't recommend them to others when zone, rustys, or Rubicon express aren't much more and a better product....I don't see rc 3 inch with full packs? Here
Old 12-25-2017, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Martlor13
I really don't have a preference. I have 3 4x4 vehicles, all with different brand lifts. I've lifted 3 xjs that I've owned, all with different brands. I just go with whatever had the best deal or during sale times haha... I also install lifts pretty frequently for customers..... so ill try and answer this question. I'm going to leave the trailmaster out because I don't really think they are all that better if at all, having dealt with their products for a few years. But let's say the zone 3 inch vs the rc 3 inch...for one rc doesn't offer a 3 inch with full packs. At least I didn't see one on their site. Secondly, the fitment and overall material quality on the zone is much better. I've installed a few rc kits that just don't lineup properly. Haven't had that issue with zone yet. Durability of the rc products isn't great as well. Their bushings are notoriuosly bad... when you offer extremely cheap lifts, well, one can't reasonably expect quality. RC makes a living off new guys in the lift game that are looking for the cheapest way to lift their vehicle. Quantity over quality is their goal.
yeah... that's a boat that no one wants to sail in, the boat of quantity over quality. That's why keeping in line with the OP for this thread, I wanted to elaborate a bit more on the same topic so that those thinking of going with a lift that is more moderate and budget minded that they can make the best decision and not get completely screwed.
I'm considering one too.. so that's why I also asked about the part of any issues or things to watch for when doing a 3" or less lift. To keep all the rest of the components that are still in stock positions to not be at wrong angles, etc.

You mentioned that Zone doesn't come with a full leaf pack rear... doing a number of installs for yourself and customers, if someone wanted to go with a Zone 3" lift, what full leaf pack in the rear do you recommend/have good luck with for them? I've thought the AAL on a well worn OEM set of leaves was a bad idea long-term.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

yeah... that's a boat that no one wants to sail in, the boat of quantity over quality. That's why keeping in line with the OP for this thread, I wanted to elaborate a bit more on the same topic so that those thinking of going with a lift that is more moderate and budget minded that they can make the best decision and not get completely screwed.
I'm considering one too.. so that's why I also asked about the part of any issues or things to watch for when doing a 3" or less lift. To keep all the rest of the components that are still in stock positions to not be at wrong angles, etc.

You mentioned that Zone doesn't come with a full leaf pack rear... doing a number of installs for yourself and customers, if someone wanted to go with a Zone 3" lift, what full leaf pack in the rear do you recommend/have good luck with for them? I've thought the AAL on a well worn OEM set of leaves was a bad idea long-term.
zone does offer a full leaf pack. But i didn't see that rc does. I thought they did, but I looked and didn't see one. Zone is one of the best budget lifts out there. Heck they coukd be one of the best lifts regardless of price. They have a very nice product
Old 12-25-2017, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

Rough country has a 3" lift with springs but I wouldn't recommend it, it looks like they raised their price also.
https://www.ntwonline.com/84-01-jeep...sion-3189.html
Old 12-25-2017, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Rough country has a 3" lift with springs but I wouldn't recommend it, it looks like they raised their price also.
https://www.ntwonline.com/84-01-jeep...sion-3189.html
i kind of figured they had to have one, but on their website it's not there haha
Old 12-25-2017, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Secondary question... Say going with a max of a 3" lift, for those who have it and those who have working knowledge of it.... even though it's a shorter lift, is it true that any lift opens the can of worms of always having to deal with parts wearing prematurely, etc.?
Min. stock part replacement when doing it would be, lower control arms, track bar, longer drop pitman arm, TC drop? anything else? Assuming longer shocks/springs/leaves come with the lift kit. Does the lift put anything else at a different angle that would cause premature wear or cause for concern?
I think these are valid questions to have answered before anyone does a lift on their Jeep. That way you know what you're really getting into before you start.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/nk...-chart-211878/
Old 12-25-2017, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

^^^ muchas gracias mi amigo

Quick Reply: Looking for a cheap lift kit