Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A long rant, and nothing more

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default A long rant, and nothing more

Alright I'm first going to start by saying i am not looking for apologies, sympathies, comments or consoling. i just want to put my rant in a place where at least people will understand where i am coming from.

this is one big rant.....

alright so the off roading bug bite me a looooong time ago. never had the opportunity to get a vehicle until last year. so i finally got enough money after a long time and with my wife's approval bought a 94 XJ country with HO straight 6. i was stoked. there were some things wrong and i did not have any mechanical knowledge at the time but looked forward to a project and wanted to learn. with alot of confidence i bought it with leaks, gaskets needing replaced, body work, flushes and recharges, brake jobs, tune ups for the (what i thought) steal of a price at 1400. i wouldn't wait to get home. i took it to a mechanic (midas, i know live and learn) to get it checked out and they gave me what was wrong and it was good to go. no major problems. now when i got home i ripped right into learning how to change fix and repair pretty much anything. the chiltons Manuel was good but this website became my bible of how to fix things. i loved it. well showing my ignorance i totally didn't even think i needed 4 wheel drive. i thought a locker in the back would be fine. like i said live and learn. secondly about after a month of wrenching around under the hood, i started to notice a oil leak from the head, and smoke coming from the dipstick. after all the work and hearty i put into it, i began to worry there was a problem with the head gasket. getting on here and looking around i was pretty much confirmed in my mind that was the problem. so more things; as i put bigger tires (only 30s) i started rubbing on one side. that shouldn't be happening at that height. and sure enough the thing had been in an accident at some point. the more suspension was messed with the more it became apparent that the body was not straight. after a few months of denial not wanting to sell it i knew the time had come. i was moving didn't, want to hall it around, and knew it was a lemon. so put up ads (craigslist etc) and no one showed interest. i put 2000 at first then 1700 then 1300 and still nothing. this is over 4 months.i fixed it and thought hey it should be worth more, but that is not the case. so i just broke down and went to car max. i have been looking for a replacement for a long time ( cause deep down i knew it had to go) and found one. i was excited; sell the one i got and put the money down on a new one and be happy. well car max pretty much woke me up and screwed me over, they offered only 700 and after a long time of thinking and contemplating took it and declared defeat. anyways i am just bummed all that work to fix it up got nothing, i am pissed the mechanic couldn't tell me the head gasket was bad and the body was crooked, and upset i had to sell my first XJ, and bummed it will be a long time till i get another one. so now i have to save up and do this whole thing over again. not to mention all confidence in my self is shot because i am overly worried i am going to get another crappy one. so yeah. no point to this and just a long rant. do what you will with it.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

well that sucks sorry about your luck... but always know we will be here when you get another!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:15 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Sorry about what happened... Where are you from maybe I can help you find another one..?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 91/96

It sucks, but you learned alot about the Xj and when you get another you will know what to do the next go around.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 AM

I feel your pain. I was considering selling mine and kept it due to the money put into it which doubled the 1750 I originally paid for it over a year ago. Luckily the frame is OK and the engine and tranny have no major problems. The body needs work on the drivers door and it has some rust spots. I will keep it for another couple of years and then replace it. It has been sitting at the shop for three weeks so it is like I dont even have one anymore. And yes I have to answer to the wife for everything. Who says the wife wont grow older and be like the mother in law?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:16 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I feel your pain on that one. Same sad story with the first 4x4 I bought a big ol beast 84 e-350 ford van seamed like something went wrong every week dam thing is still sitting in my yard dead can't get anyone to take it off my hands.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door

Yep as with any rig (or any hobby for that matter) there is no profitable way out! Ya just gotta keep fixing them tell ya can find a clean one, & swap all your parts into it... Then repeat lol
Old 02-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Year: 2001

Carmax is nothing but a pawn shop for cars. Sorry it had to end that way. XJ's sell like hot cakes around here so I am surprised you had some much trouble getting rid of it. I love my XJ but I can say if I were to do it all over again I would be much more educated now with all the work I have done to mine. The upside is you know what to look for when you are shoping again. I often wish I knew then what I know now.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Rooster
Sorry about what happened... Where are you from maybe I can help you find another one..?
Thanks I approciate it but I am stationed on the other side of the country in Ca