XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Long arm lift or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Long arm lift or not?

WHat kind of wheeling would I need to do to justify going with a long arm lift kit compared to just a regular lift? How much of a difference does the long arm make?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 classic
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0!!

if you want to lift it and have a ****ty ride and limited articulation go with short arms. long arm all the way. better ride quality, much better flex.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

makes a huge difference. Even if your wheeling doesn't demand a long arm kit, I still say get it. I wish I had.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM

Guess I'm sold on long arms than! What's a good company to go wit h? Iv seen a lot of hate between companies here

Also could I go with a 4in long arm and be able to
Keep my 2in poly spacers?

Last edited by larryftmfw; 03-13-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

as far as ride goes, any long arm will ride better than short arms. i went with Iron rock offroad and I absolutely love it. price is reasonable too. as far as i've seen, the only people that dont like IRO, are the ones that don't own it, though everyone has a right to their opinions. now other companies are rubicon express and rough country as far as lower end long arm not saying theyre bad at all. RE is very reputable. Rock krawler makes an awesome long arm but they are pricy. same thing with bds. clayton's makes awesome stuff as well. a lot of people like rough country but ive run their kit in my old 96 xj. while i was happy with the long arm set up, their leafs sagged alot(i had full packs too!), i had to replace the lca bushings bi-annually... tracbar sucked ended up with IRO's double shear tracbar which is amazing. and i wasn't a fan of the crossmember. IRO's kit seems so much better thought out and definatley tougher for around the same price. check them out http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/
Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

I'm liking the way the serious off road LA upgrade looks
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...3cb3e1be830746
but you'll have to add it to you're existing lift. so thats no help. but if you cant afford long arms up front like me, good option eh?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

also, iron rock offroad makes a 4" long arm rather than a 4.5" like most others. and you shoudnt keep your poly spacers. if you want a 4" kit get a 4" kit. if you want a 6.5" or an 8" or a 5.5" or whatever, get that kit. that way if you want to go higher, you can use your spacers, rather than using them with a smaller kit than you want to gain your lift. if that makes any sense... personally, id just go the height you want with springs.

edit: ^^^I like serious offroads long arm upgrade too. heard great things haven't seen it in person...^^^
Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by K2dark_xj
also, iron rock offroad makes a 4" long arm rather than a 4.5" like most others. and you shoudnt keep your poly spacers. if you want a 4" kit get a 4" kit. if you want a 6.5" or an 8" or a 5.5" or whatever, get that kit. that way if you want to go higher, you can use your spacers, rather than using them with a smaller kit than you want to gain your lift. if that makes any sense... personally, id just go the height you want with springs.

edit: ^^^I like serious offroads long arm upgrade too. heard great things haven't seen it in person...^^^
6 is the the max if ever go but I get what your saying too, I'm just worried that the long arm kit would be able to work with poly spacers at the same time
Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by larryftmfw
6 is the the max if ever go but I get what your saying too, I'm just worried that the long arm kit would be able to work with poly spacers at the same time
of course it would. basically right now i take it you have stock control arms and springs and whatnot, with poly coil spacers that give you 1.5-2ish inches of lift. when you get a, say 4" long arm kit. it comes with longer coils. 4.5" longer to be exact. so you could use the coil spacers just the same as before. but since the longer coils already add that lift amount that you want, you really won't want them unless you put longer shackles in the rear as well. check out the iron rock offroad long arm kit link i posted and go to xj and click on any of the long arm kits. you'll see what i mean when you see them