Living out of a Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Living out of a Cherokee

I wanna move out of my Dads and I feel like it is the time. I am still saving for down payment on a house because I hate the fact of rent (reason for this post). I was thinking of building my Cherokee into a mobile home. Bed in back with storage underneath the bed. And when I have the money buy a roof top tent for them good nights. Only storage I can think of really is clothes. My work is open 24/7 so I can sleep in my XJ till the next day. I was wondering if anyone has or knows anyone that has done this. I am thinking 1-2years tops. Its more of I want to do it and not that I need too. I know most will say stay at home aslong as you can but I'm kind of treated like an unwanted guest. Any input will be great guys.

Last edited by Hunter Styres; 05-21-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Living out of your cherokee eh? Well, then its sorta like camping. My question is, what is your work that its open 24/7? You can keep up hygiene there like shower, brush teeth, get ready for the day, etc? There was a member here recently that lives out of his xj for a few months but it was out of necessity i believe and he noved "out" of the jeep fairly quickly. I'm not sure how it would be for 2 years. I think it would get old pretty fast.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Living out of your cherokee eh? Well, then its sorta like camping. My question is, what is your work that its open 24/7? You can keep up hygiene there like shower, brush teeth, get ready for the day, etc? There was a member here recently that lives out of his xj for a few months but it was out of necessity i believe and he noved "out" of the jeep fairly quickly. I'm not sure how it would be for 2 years. I think it would get old pretty fast.
My Work(distribution center) has showers and the whole nine yards for hygenie I wasn't to worried on it because of that. I understand how most would seem it'd get old fast but honestly if I got it down I'd like it more. The reasoning is that where I live now is a good 30min drive to anywhere of importance. No internet except on my phone with crappy service and no running water for more than 5 minutes. I already take my showers at work because of that.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:27 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

You might wanna feel out your employer about camping out on their property, they may not be too keen on it. It's cool they have showers and all, but not sure their intention is to have vagrant employees.

Then again, this might be one of those "better to ask forgiveness than permission" things, haha
Old 05-21-2018, 07:28 AM

Year: 2017
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4 cyl

I slept in a pup tent for 3 years. My ride was a Honda CL100. I worked at a McDonalds. It was 1972 to 1975. I camped out in Interama, a South Florida development project turned into a garbage dump. There were rats. Back then I would have been happy to sleep in a Jeep. Any kind. I know what it means to leave due to parental pressure and words can hurt. That was part of my reason for leaving. The other part was I was going nuts. College life was rough but I stuck it out until I got my 2 year degree in electrical engineering even though it lasted three years. Severe depression took it's toll, then I left. I don't regret it at all. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by Buddy1065; 05-21-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done it before, well not in an XJ but.... AND I am about to do it again. I will be essentially living out of my Jeep for June / July this summer. BUT I'll have the XJ and my YJ and really be camping at a nearby lake when in town for work..lol
I plan to take a few long road trips during that time CO,UT,NM, etc

Cam needs to join in on this, he was the kid who lived in his much like you are describing for a few months.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1993

check out expedition portal forum if you have not already, there will be a lot of info on storage and sleep platforms and stuff like that.

some things that come to mind:
you said you have hygiene covered, what about meals?
insulating/heating the jeep for winter?

i want to say it was on expedition portal there was a guy living out of his tacoma (with a canopy) for several years.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it for 2 months, until somebody tried breaking in on me in the middle of the night.
I can tell you this: it is easier to stay warm when it's cold than get cool when it's hot.
Bottom line is that it is doable but location can make or break you.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 97

A small camper would be a better solution IMHO. Comes with a bed, fridge, stove, and the ability to hook up electronic devices. If you could plug into the company building...
Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. And IMHO I wouldn't call it camping we have two guys already who work at our job and sleep in there cars till the next day of work. One has an old 70s van with all the accessory like a camper. And the other has a Dodge Ram with a camper on the back with just a bed but he goes home on his days off, the other fella goes to the lake or camping on his days off and owns no property. Older guy too he said he loves it. It isn't really parental pressure it just gets annoying being 20 and still having to abid by rules that ain't yours but is understandable.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by warrpath4x4
check out expedition portal forum if you have not already, there will be a lot of info on storage and sleep platforms and stuff like that.

i want to say it was on expedition portal there was a guy living out of his tacoma (with a canopy) for several years.
I already buy my own food. I don't buy anything too perishable. I mostly eat can food and sandwichesi. I live in southwest Washington so winters are very doable. Laundry I already do at a laundry mat because the water situation
Old 05-21-2018, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunter Styres
Thanks for all the input guys. And IMHO I wouldn't call it camping we have two guys already who work at our job and sleep in there cars till the next day of work. One has an old 70s van with all the accessory like a camper. And the other has a Dodge Ram with a camper on the back with just a bed but he goes home on his days off, the other fella goes to the lake or camping on his days off and owns no property. Older guy too he said he loves it. It isn't really parental pressure it just gets annoying being 20 and still having to abid by rules that ain't yours but is understandable.
you say its not camping....yet you say they are all basically camping....doesn't make sense

Do they make you wash dishes and take out the trash

i'm just messing with you man haha
Old 05-22-2018, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by warrpath4x4

Originally Posted by Martlor13
you say its not camping....yet you say they are all basically camping....doesn't make sense

Do they make you wash dishes and take out the trash

i'm just messing with you man haha
No worries haha I only live with my dad my mom dipped out the first chance she got. They reason I don't call it camping is that where we live is practically the middle of nowhere. Ain't no such thing as take out the trash when no garbage trucks go by your house. I consider camping camping. Middle of the woods with marshmallows and family. I'd call this more of a expedition or life choice that would help me grow as a person.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1993

theres a guy on youtube who is (or maybe was) living in his cherokee, Kev and his jeep. he has a couple videos of why it sucks, and what he does, getting woken up in the middle of the night by the cops.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

Not an XJ but check out link below. Lot's of videos from someone who's done it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzR...P_29MMtEzPF4KQ

Quick Reply: Living out of a Cherokee