Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lift Project --- BPE Questions ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lift Project --- BPE Questions ???

My preparation for lifting my 96 XJ continues with questions about BPE's?

I am expecting one of more shock bolts to break, so in wanting to do the job the best that I can do I want to install BPE's.

1) From what I am seeing in searching they just bolt up where the shock bar pin goes and you remove the bar pin from the new shocks and use the BPE bolt in its place. Is that correct?

2) It looks like the BPE will compress the shock about 1 - 1 1/2" depending on the BPE because of the lower mounting point. Should shorter shocks be used?

3) Brand of BPE - Some BPE's look like stamped steel and not very strong ( teraflex ) and others I have seen seem to be more robust ( full traction ). Is there any particular brand that holds up better than any other?

I think that is about it for now ....... thanks !!!!

( Looks like I may be going Rough Country 3" Series II lift kit if that helps - if there is a better kit let me know ( what about Rusty's kits? Rubicon? ) )
Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

BPE are/can be used as somewhat of a BB.. people have been known to use them to gain that little extra clearance. as far as using a shorter shock, though, i wouldnt worry about it. i dont think that it will put any extra stress on them. good companies? well, JKS seems to make quality parts. but i know you can find some on ebay for like 20 bucks... idk about the quality of a 20 dollar part, though...
Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

rustys seems like the place to go. i was actually about to order the 3" full packs... but cat needed to go to vets... oh well, next time... back to the point, i forget where the order fell for peoples preference on lift companies. seems like RC then rustys, then RE for ride quality. but price does go up accordingly. idk. i guess it kinda comes down to cost for me. i dont wanna skimp and get cheap stuff (ie. the bastard pack route) but im not gonna break the bank on a lift, either. i dont wheel that hard, but i do want to get a little more clearance for when i do. also, like every other jeep with stock leafs, ive got that little sag going. i hate that! looks like ****, imho! so glad ive got that 2" BB on there, as it sits now i can just fit my hand in there (upright, not sideways) but the front has like 2 or 3 inches on it..
Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by VTJeep
. also, like every other jeep with stock leafs, ive got that little sag going. i hate that! looks like ****, imho!
My 95 has sagging rear leafs ... but it's not going to be lifted with a kit, I will replace the springs though to bring it back to where it was intended to be.

The 96 is the one the lift kit is going on, it's the one I drive and I am the only one to drive it. Seems the other drivers in the household don't want to deal with the clutch. LOL

I am going with the full kit for the 96, new springs/leafs/shocks .... seems I can do it within my budget of $500 +/- $100 and still have $200 left over for those OOPS repairs, where I might break something and have to bring in a pro! LOL
Old 06-12-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 H.O.

don't bust my chops, just bought my XJ. But how do you know that your springs are sagging?
Originally Posted by KD3NE
My 95 has sagging rear leafs ... but it's not going to be lifted with a kit, I will replace the springs though to bring it back to where it was intended to be.

The 96 is the one the lift kit is going on, it's the one I drive and I am the only one to drive it. Seems the other drivers in the household don't want to deal with the clutch. LOL

I am going with the full kit for the 96, new springs/leafs/shocks .... seems I can do it within my budget of $500 +/- $100 and still have $200 left over for those OOPS repairs, where I might break something and have to bring in a pro! LOL
Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Instead of looking like a U they look like a W.

And moved to chat.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by DocBoCook
don't bust my chops, just bought my XJ. But how do you know that your springs are sagging?
very obvious rear end sitting lower