Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Jio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Just bought a XJ

How's it going everyone. I just bought a 99 jeep Cherokee sport and I want to know if I got a good deal.

The roof needs a headliner, the ac does not blow cold, and when I turn it on, there is a squeaky sound that gets louder as I accelerate but goes away after 20 min of driving. Also the check engine light is on but I read that is normal.

My plans are to lift and put nicer tires on it but before I do that I want to know that all small mechanical problems are resolved. Also I am not a mechanic so if my friends can't help me out I will have to go to a shop.

My XJ has 143XXX miles. Price was $1k plus another $300 for tag, registration and first month insurance.

I look forward to hearing from you guys.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:59 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

The check engine light being on is not normal, take it to an auto parts store and get the code read, but being a 99 that's good it's considered one of the best years I have 99 too.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Jio

What about the squeaky sound? I sprayed WD40 on the what I think are the pulleys and the sound did go away but not for long. As soon as I got back in to drive somewhere else the sound was there
Old 12-29-2013, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Replace the serpentine belt and clean the pulleys with brake cleaner, check all of the idler pulleys for smooth operation and no side to side play.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Jio

ok so could I get the belt at junk yard or should I buy it new? As for the idler pulley, where is that and how do I check for side to side movement.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

Originally Posted by Jio
What about the squeaky sound? I sprayed WD40 on the what I think are the pulleys and the sound did go away but not for long. As soon as I got back in to drive somewhere else the sound was there
Take the wd40, walk to the nearest trash can, insert wd40.

That stuff is useless and it certainly isn't a lubricant, it's a water displacer.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Jio

Note taken, won't buy another can. Also what are some tune ups I should/need to do besides oil change and air filter.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Seasoned Member

I've always been a fan of pulling the spark plugs. You can learn a lot about what is going on internally by the wear/deposits you find on the plugs.

You may not need to replace them but you won't really know until you look at them.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Jio
ok so could I get the belt at junk yard or should I buy it new? As for the idler pulley, where is that and how do I check for side to side movement.
Buy the belt new... Should only be around $20 or so... try and be careful when removing the old one it's good to throw in the back of your jeep or in a duffel bag to take with you just in case of emergency. might not be perfect but if your belt brakes then your pretty much stranded till you can get a new one.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Jio
Note taken, won't buy another can. Also what are some tune ups I should/need to do besides oil change and air filter.
When you say your not a mechanic what would you say your skil level is? I am not a mechanic by any means but with the help of this forum and the right tools you can accomplish quite a bit on these Jeeps. All I ever thoguht of doing myself was changing the oil but now I have done just about every one of Cruisers write ups and am currently working on a D44 rear swap.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Jio

I plan on going to Autoparts store tomorrow. Do all have equipment to check the code for engine light? Will they all carry the belt or is that an online purchase? I will try to look at spark plugs also. I also plan on ordering the camo headliner, I think it will look perfect cause my jeep is green.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by Jio
ok so could I get the belt at junk yard or should I buy it new? .
The serpintine belt is an item you never want to buy used. I suggest the Gatorback belt.
Pully belts (none on XJ) can take dressings (not WD-40) but a serpintine belt is never supposed to be dressed with anything. This can cause slipping and squeaking.
Very correct about WD-40, it is a degreaser and water dispersant.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Jio
Yeah Sprayig something down will only last for a little bit then it'll go back to sound of Deebos bike from the move Friday haha
Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Jio

Originally Posted by Jakers
When you say your not a mechanic what would you say your skil level is? I am not a mechanic by any means but with the help of this forum and the right tools you can accomplish quite a bit on these Jeeps. All I ever thoguht of doing myself was changing the oil but now I have done just about every one of Cruisers write ups and am currently working on a D44 rear swap.
Oil change is the only thing I know how to.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Jio
I plan on going to Autoparts store tomorrow. Do all have equipment to check the code for engine light? Will they all carry the belt or is that an online purchase? I will try to look at spark plugs also. I also plan on ordering the camo headliner, I think it will look perfect cause my jeep is green.
Most chain auto part stores will have the code reader. The belt should be an item they have in stock but you never know, they may need to order it.

My previous vehicle was a very limited production car (less than 3000 produced). I made a habit of calling the parts store to check availability before I leave the house.

Quick Reply: Just bought a XJ