Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just bought my first Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Just bought my first Jeep

Hello people of Cherokee forum. I just bought my first jeep. It's a 91 Cherokee 2 door. There are a few problems I was hoping someone could help me with. I really want to put work in it but I am not sure if it is even worth it. It is bone stock and was wondering how much it would be to put on a little lift and tires? There is also oil coming out next to the dip stick. I will take pics in the morning to show what I have to work with.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-23-2015, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

A lift can cost as little as a hundred bucks, or as much as four grand. It depends on what you want to do and how high you want to go. A junk yard lift will not cost much, but you won't be very happy with the ride or performance. Do some research and check out the many threads in this forum that deal with lifting, you will gain a lot of knowledge from most of these folks. Good luck and welcome to the sickness.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:56 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by ClownCrackin
Hello people of Cherokee forum. I just bought my first jeep. It's a 91 Cherokee 2 door. There are a few problems I was hoping someone could help me with. I really want to put work in it but I am not sure if it is even worth it. It is bone stock and was wondering how much it would be to put on a little lift and tires? There is also oil coming out next to the dip stick. I will take pics in the morning to show what I have to work with.
TOTALLY worth it. Treat it right, and it will become your favorite ride you've ever owned...
Originally Posted by XJwonders
Welcome to the forum!
X2
Originally Posted by Bustedback
A lift can cost as little as a hundred bucks, or as much as four grand. It depends on what you want to do and how high you want to go. A junk yard lift will not cost much, but you won't be very happy with the ride or performance. Do some research and check out the many threads in this forum that deal with lifting, you will gain a lot of knowledge from most of these folks. Good luck and welcome to the sickness.
This.

But, I suggest you get things right before you do anything. Have a solid base to start with. Do the normal maintenance things, fluid changes, rubber replacement, tune up, and make sure the cooling system is solid. I know you got a Jeep and want to make it yours, but do the basics first, and then do the fun stuff.

Check the driveline, brakes, and so on...get it right and have a solid platform before you attempt any mods.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by roninofako
TOTALLY worth it. Treat it right, and it will become your favorite ride you've ever owned... X2 This. But, I suggest you get things right before you do anything. Have a solid base to start with. Do the normal maintenance things, fluid changes, rubber replacement, tune up, and make sure the cooling system is solid. I know you got a Jeep and want to make it yours, but do the basics first, and then do the fun stuff. Check the driveline, brakes, and so on...get it right and have a solid platform before you attempt any mods.
This.

Throwing money on a lift and tires before making sure the cooling system, steering, brakes, drivetrain, and body are in good shape is like wiping your butt before taking a dump. I left out the suspension, but if there are worn parts it's a good time to upgrade.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

This. Throwing money on a lift and tires before making sure the cooling system, steering, brakes, drivetrain, and body are in good shape is like wiping your butt before taking a dump. I left out the suspension, but if there are worn parts it's a good time to upgrade.
lmao. Good analogy.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:18 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

This. Throwing money on a lift and tires before making sure the cooling system, steering, brakes, drivetrain, and body are in good shape is like wiping your butt before taking a dump. I left out the suspension, but if there are worn parts it's a good time to upgrade.
Never, ever, wipe before you dump. Not is it just bad practice, it's a total waste and it doesn't make sense. It's like putting on a rubber when you've already had a vasectomy.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:46 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by GoingForBroke
Never, ever, wipe before you dump. Not is it just bad practice, it's a total waste and it doesn't make sense. It's like putting on a rubber when you've already had a vasectomy.
LOLZ
Old 10-23-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Inline

Originally Posted by GoingForBroke
Unless she is a woman with a casually moral attitude.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cliffy
Unless she is a woman with a casually moral attitude.
This.

The rubber is more for my protection.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:41 AM

There are a few problems with it like the muffler has a huge hole in it and there is a bad oil leak by the dipstick. Also when you press the gas pedal it makes a terrible whooshing noise kinda like when a bus starts to take off. Some one told me vaccum hose had a leak but idk. Thanks for all the replies. I bought it for 600 bucks hopefully a good deal?

Old 10-24-2015, 08:44 AM

Also I haven't done literally anything to it yet. I want to kinda fix it cheap and right if anyone has suggestions?
Old 10-24-2015, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...-NP231J-T-case
Old 10-24-2015, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Old 10-24-2015, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

Some good a dice here.
Take care of basic maintenance first.
Decide what kind of wheeling you plan on doing and build accordingly.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Jeep