Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Installing Tint and Speakers

I didn't want to make two separate posts for this, sorry.

I purchased this tint: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cheroke...ht_4931wt_1397 for my 92. I was wondering how the installation process goes. This is my first time, and I'm a bit nervous. I watched a video, and it showed cleaning the window, applying solution, applying the tint, positioning it properly, then squeegeeing it, and it's done. Is that it? Can I mess it up at all and ruin the film?

And for speakers.. I'm installing two Pioneer 5.25 speakers in my front doors. I have tweeters in there now, from the previous owner. Although they have quick disconnects cause of the doorless mod. And after a while of disconnecting them, they stopped working. I think something became unplugged inside the body. Is that an easy fix, or am I running new wires? If I'm running new, what's the process?

Cheers
Old 10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

i tried tinting the windows on my old gmc and they turned out alright but i wasnt happy with them so when i got my xj i had them done professionally. my 2000 already had the privacy glass on all but the front windows so i had the guy put 20% on the front door glass and it turned out good and matches good. one thing the guy told me was to not roll your windows down after you do them for 2-3 days and to not wash the inside of the windows for roughly a week. sorry i couldnt be more help on the actual process
Old 10-29-2012, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Power73
i tried tinting the windows on my old gmc and they turned out alright but i wasnt happy with them so when i got my xj i had them done professionally. my 2000 already had the privacy glass on all but the front windows so i had the guy put 20% on the front door glass and it turned out good and matches good. one thing the guy told me was to not roll your windows down after you do them for 2-3 days and to not wash the inside of the windows for roughly a week. sorry i couldnt be more help on the actual process
Hmm.. As long as it's decent and doesn't look bad, I'll be fine with it. Better than what I have now. And I won't have to worry about rolling the windows down, since the weather is pretty cold here haha.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Any other tips?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Hey bud, I've tinted a few of our trucks. One of the biggest aids i happened upon was these bondo spreaders, which can be found at most auto parts.

Installing Tint and Speakers-forumrunner_20121030_115913.jpg

They are much better than using a squegee, flexible yet stiff enough and smaller for fitting in the corners. Cheap too.

Also when your doing it be sure to coat your hands in the solution as well, if you feel your fingers start to stick to the tint get some more solution.

The only window I've tried on a xj is the rear. Not good results. Due to the curvature its quite difficult to get it to not wrinkle. Might have to try cutting it into slices and dues them separately.

On the side windows that roll up and down make sure to get the tint to go behind the weatherstripping so it doesn't catch on it every time you roll em down.

And yes don't roll up or down the windows for a couple days.

Good luck!

Last edited by xj wheeler; 10-30-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the great tips! I'll be sure to pickup the bondo spreaders!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by xj wheeler
Hey bud, I've tinted a few of our trucks. One of the biggest aids i happened upon was these bondo spreaders, which can be found at most auto parts.

Attachment 152399

They are much better than using a squegee, flexible yet stiff enough and smaller for fitting in the corners. Cheap too.

Also when your doing it be sure to coat your hands in the solution as well, if you feel your fingers start to stick to the tint get some more solution.

The only window I've tried on a xj is the rear. Not good results. Due to the curvature its quite difficult to get it to not wrinkle. Might have to try cutting it into slices and dues them separately.

On the side windows that roll up and down make sure to get the tint to go behind the weatherstripping so it doesn't catch on it every time you roll em down.

Good luck!
X2, cut an inch bigger than needed. Trim with razorblade after applied. It is easy.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Is having the tint precut any help at all? I'd assume it's a bit easier, right? I ordered precut tint for my Cherokee.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Never got any precut, but i would think that would make it a breeze. Trimming that tint... SUCKS.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by xj wheeler

Attachment 152399

Good luck!
you need to heat the tint with a heat gun so it forms to the window.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by chicago
you need to heat the tint with a heat gun so it forms to the window.
Really! Still need this done so i'll have to give that a shot. Thanks for the tip.