I won $250, help me spend it wisely!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Cool I won $250, help me spend it wisely!

So, I won 250 bucks last night at a work event. I'm trying to figure out the most practical thing to spend it on my Jeep at this point. Currently, I need the following things to complete my lift kit for my Jeep.

1. New track bar and bracket. Strongly considering the Clayton ($280, eek)
2. Shocks (won't really know what size until it's mostly lifted)
3. Axle U-bolts
4. New wheels (looking at steelies, a set would cost around $250 last I checked)
5. Slip yoke eliminator (about $200) + front driveshaft for rear ($35)
6. ZJ tie rod & new tie rod ends (? - tie rod is 10 bucks at my local yard!)
7. Still need some more steel for my 2x6 rocker project. 2x6 itself is accounted for, but I'll need angle iron and flat iron too...
8. New steering stabilizer (Black Zone Offroad, $45)
9. New fuel pump module (~$200 with new straps and J bolts) Current pump works fine, but check valve and sending unit are shot.

Other than that, there's welding supplies I could get, also more steel for the cart I'm building....boy, $250 ain't that much is it? LOL

At this point I'm strongly considering the track bar, but also think it would be neat to get a ZJ tie rod and new ends. A member is offering me up a used IRO double sheer for $130, so maybe I should go for that and use the extra for a JY trip.

What would you do in my situation?? Thanks!

Last edited by PocketsEmpty; 11-05-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97

get the double shear TB, buy new U-bolts, steering stabilizer and hit your local JY for the tie rods and whatever else you find while your there as you'll have some change left over...

btw congrats on the winnings... always nice to have 'free' stuff.. !!!

just like free food, always seems to just "taste" better
Old 11-05-2013, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Ok dont waste money on a steering stabilizer. Second get the IRO track bar. Third, whAt size lift you doing. Don't do shocks until you're lifted and you measure them out
Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DieselDaze
get the double shear TB, buy new U-bolts, steering stabilizer and hit your local JY for the tie rods and whatever else you find while your there as you'll have some change left over...

btw congrats on the winnings... always nice to have 'free' stuff.. !!!

just like free food, always seems to just "taste" better
Thanks! It absolutely does! lol. That sounds like a good way to get the most out of it.

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Ok dont waste money on a steering stabilizer. Second get the IRO track bar. Third, whAt size lift you doing. Don't do shocks until you're lifted and you measure them out
I had thought long and hard about this, but I'm stuck with factory steering (minus the tie rod) for a while. I won't be able to afford $300+ for 1-ton steering until after the lift is on and tires and all that are on. My lift should check out around 5.5" when installed. Ok, so shocks can be ruled out for now. I'll need the track bar before those.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty

Thanks! It absolutely does! lol. That sounds like a good way to get the most out of it.

I had thought long and hard about this, but I'm stuck with factory steering (minus the tie rod) for a while. I won't be able to afford $300+ for 1-ton steering until after the lift is on and tires and all that are on. My lift should check out around 5.5" when installed. Ok, so shocks can be ruled out for now. I'll need the track bar before those.
Yes def at 5.5". Get the IRO one. You'll need that before you drive. Shocks you'll need soon after however after lift is installed its always good to flex without shocks on and measure to see what you need compressed and extended
Old 11-05-2013, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Yep and I'll need to measure for bumpstops too. I can't wait until I'm ready for that! LOL.

So I've decided on the used IRO TB, new tie rod ends (any recommendations? with 35s in mind?), ZJ tie rod. Maybe 703 injectors with the leftovers?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97

Yes def at 5.5". Get the IRO one. You'll need that before you drive. Shocks you'll need soon after however after lift is installed its always good to flex without shocks on and measure to see what you need compressed and extended
now you tell me that's sound advise right there, guess I may have jumped the gun and ordered some shocks 'before' my lift... I will do this before I put them on and see what happens..

not to hijack but what benefits can someone expect with those injectors? I have a '97 with stock everything I assume and seeing your '98 I guess I'd need to upgrade as well

EDIT: I assume you measure from shock mount to mount?? would you only need to measure extended? or both?

Last edited by DieselDaze; 11-05-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Yep and I'll need to measure for bumpstops too. I can't wait until I'm ready for that! LOL.

So I've decided on the used IRO TB, new tie rod ends (any recommendations? with 35s in mind?), ZJ tie rod. Maybe 703 injectors with the leftovers?
Tie rod Ian easy. Probably better just buy new TREs foe used tie rod. Bumpstops just use hockey pucks for front. Rear sucks to Bumpstops. Isn't cheap. If you can fab then just do a new u bolt clamp and install a Bumpstops to that
Old 11-05-2013, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

I can't answer Much for 1 ton steering, haven't done it. Also are you looking to so long arms or just drop brackets for starters
Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DieselDaze
not to hijack but what benefits can someone expect with those injectors? I have a '97 with stock everything I assume and seeing your '98 I guess I'd need to upgrade as well
Quicker startup, smoother idle, some say 1-2 MPG which is welcome since at stock I'm only getting 15.5mpg. Might be partially due to a slight exhaust leak I have. But, anywho, there are tons of threads on the 703 upgrade. Check em out.

Tie rod Ian easy. Probably better just buy new TREs foe used tie rod. Bumpstops just use hockey pucks for front. Rear sucks to Bumpstops. Isn't cheap. If you can fab then just do a new u bolt clamp and install a Bumpstops to that
I like the hockey puck idea. After a quick search, I'm amazed at how expensive rear bumpstops are. That's absurd. I'll come up with something.

I can't answer Much for 1 ton steering, haven't done it. Also are you looking to so long arms or just drop brackets for starters
I have Rusty's long arms (no debates, please) waiting to go on.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Quicker startup, smoother idle, some say 1-2 MPG which is welcome since at stock I'm only getting 15.5mpg. Might be partially due to a slight exhaust leak I have. But, anywho, there are tons of threads on the 703 upgrade. Check em out.

I like the hockey puck idea. After a quick search, I'm amazed at how expensive rear bumpstops are. That's absurd. I'll come up with something.

I have Rusty's long arms (no debates, please) waiting to go on.
Won't debate. Wasntt sure if you bought them yet or not. Look up custom rear Bumpstops. If you have a way to cut 3/8" steel then you can make the mounts and get Bumpstops from summit racing and drop the upper extended Bumpstops with 2" steel.

My setup is extended Bumpstops on top and u bolt clamp Bumpstops below. Can take pics later if need be or i might have a pic in ny build thread
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Won't debate. Wasntt sure if you bought them yet or not. Look up custom rear Bumpstops. If you have a way to cut 3/8" steel then you can make the mounts and get Bumpstops from summit racing and drop the upper extended Bumpstops with 2" steel.

My setup is extended Bumpstops on top and u bolt clamp Bumpstops below. Can take pics later if need be or i might have a pic in ny build thread
Just checked out your build--nice! But, looks like those are bought bump stops...ehh, I'll figure those out when I'm ready to/need to. I got a long road ahead.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Just checked out your build--nice! But, looks like those are bought bump stops...ehh, I'll figure those out when I'm ready to/need to. I got a long road ahead.
Yea sadly i couldn't fab up the leaf spring u bolt clamp side. Would have saves a goodamount of money. I bought everything from different places.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Looks like Quadratec has some cheap upper rear stops, 11.99. That's not terrible. Could I maybe put something in between the 4 bolts on the U bolt clamp to hit that? Not sure how things are laid out back there at the moment
Old 11-05-2013, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

Twitter launches it's IPO this Thursday, shares are only going to be about $25 a share. I plan on buying a hundred shares or so.

Quick Reply: I won $250, help me spend it wisely!