Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop
Default I might be giving up

As much as I love my 96 XJ... I might be giving up on her and calling it quits.

It's seeming to be one problem after another and this Jeep only has 76 almost 77k on it.

I replaced the fuel pump last month, and tonight I think I found out I'll have to replace the radiator..

I bumped the upper radiator hose, and the plastic fitting it was attached to crumbled into pieces.

I'm a little depressed right now, anyone want to give me some advice? I'd love to keep my Jeep, but I'm a kid and I might not have enough money to keep dumping into it
Old 06-04-2011, 12:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Renix I6

Originally Posted by 1996XJSport

It's seeming to be one problem after another and this Jeep only has 76 almost 77k on it.

I replaced the fuel pump last month, and tonight I think I found out I'll have to replace the radiator..

I bumped the upper radiator hose, and the plastic fitting it was attached to crumbled into pieces.

I'm a little depressed right now, anyone want to give me some advice? I'd love to keep my Jeep, but I'm a kid and I might not have enough money to keep dumping into it
Thats not all that terrible, considering that I'm 3k+ in the hole with my '88
Just replace what needs doing an you'll be fine. most cheap cars now wont make 200k miles an your jeep will take you there an beyond!
Keep your chin up!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:50 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fallenknight308
Thats not all that terrible, considering that I'm 3k+ in the hole with my '88
Just replace what needs doing an you'll be fine. most cheap cars now wont make 200k miles an your jeep will take you there an beyond!
Keep your chin up!
Thanks man. I'm nearing 3k in repairs in less than a year haha.
I got the upper radiator hose onto what is left of the fitting so I can still drive around, but I dont trust it too much. I'm wondering if I should take the junkyard route for a "new" radiator or get a brand new one for a couple hundered.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 99 sport
Engine: 4.0 i6

hold on to her. The grass will not be greener, Any car you buy will have it's issues. At least with the jeep you can drive on more then just the road and she will last for you. So reach down grab hold and buck up. Tomorrow will be another day.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJUSMC
hold on to her. The grass will not be greener, Any car you buy will have it's issues. At least with the jeep you can drive on more then just the road and she will last for you. So reach down grab hold and buck up. Tomorrow will be another day.
Thanks. I really hope nothing else breaks because I'm looking at a new replacement radiator right now.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:02 AM

First big purchase one mine was a new radiator. Mine decided to explode at the bottom of a canyon. Just think of it as the perfect opportunity to upgrade.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

i feel your pain man, my last xj broke down all but 3 times i ever took it more than 20 miles from my house... trans, radiator, rear main, sooo many issues i ended up selling it and got a new one :P id feel her out tho, radiators go bad and there usualy pretty dang good cars
Old 06-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 1997 4.0 I6

Like they say in divorce court.. Cheaper to keepm!!! Youll just end up buying something else that will have hidden expenses, just stick with it, ive finally learned after 16 cars and the last 9yrs!!! with some of the cash for clunker cars still hittn the junk yards, youll prob be able to score newer stuff for far less, i just got a 5 inch RE lift with jks shackles and discos from the jy for 85 bucks!! And they defin were less than 6 mos old, springs still had shipping stickers on 'em!!!!! Stick with it, itll pan out!!
Old 06-04-2011, 03:22 PM

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Hey, I feel ya man! I got my Cherokee begining of senior year and it was held together with bubble gum and duct tape. I got teased cause there were days I had to skate to school cause my Jeep was torn apart. But here I am, 2 years later, and people tell me how nice they think my Jeep is.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

Keep a hold of her man like you said you have already put a lot of money in her so you know what you have in her. And if you get something else you don't know what you have she will treat you good if you keep her in shape. Keep tour head up I know you feel like this sometimes but don't give up
Old 06-05-2011, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DMiller77
Hey, I feel ya man! I got my Cherokee begining of senior year and it was held together with bubble gum and duct tape. I got teased cause there were days I had to skate to school cause my Jeep was torn apart. But here I am, 2 years later, and people tell me how nice they think my Jeep is.
Yeah I get a lot of hate in school because of my Jeep. People think it's a POS because they all have their mommies and daddies buy them nice expensive new cars, anything made before 2007 is a junker to them.

I've had a lot of people lately tell me that my Jeep is pretty cool. I thought they were joking at first but apparently, people are finally starting to appreciate all the work and upgrades I have done to it
Old 06-05-2011, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by garb.man
Like they say in divorce court.. Cheaper to keepm!!! Youll just end up buying something else that will have hidden expenses, just stick with it, ive finally learned after 16 cars and the last 9yrs!!! with some of the cash for clunker cars still hittn the junk yards, youll prob be able to score newer stuff for far less, i just got a 5 inch RE lift with jks shackles and discos from the jy for 85 bucks!! And they defin were less than 6 mos old, springs still had shipping stickers on 'em!!!!! Stick with it, itll pan out!!
Wow that's an AWESOME Junkyard find!!!

The best I've gotten was

-A speaker bar with cargo light for $2
-A center console lid for FREE
-An AMC Era ABS Controller for FREE
- 3 Neon Injectors for $5
-Land Rover shift **** for $2

I love going to Detroit Junkyards, they're dirt cheap.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Well, I replaced the radiator with a new OE lifetime warranty'd radiator.

The upper hose fitting on the plastic tank shattered into a zillion pieces.

Looks like I'll be hanging on to Rambo! (my XJ's name)
Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Wow that's an AWESOME Junkyard find!!!

The best I've gotten was

-A speaker bar with cargo light for $2
-A center console lid for FREE
-An AMC Era ABS Controller for FREE
- 3 Neon Injectors for $5
-Land Rover shift **** for $2

I love going to Detroit Junkyards, they're dirt cheap.
Which ones have u been to? I got some great deals at Taylor Auto Salvage, but I want to view other junk yards since none of their cherokees had motors.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by robdiddy

Which ones have u been to? I got some great deals at Taylor Auto Salvage, but I want to view other junk yards since none of their cherokees had motors.
Parts Galore is usually the one I go to. There's one off 8 mile and hoover, and the other is off W. Warren and Livernois.

Quick Reply: I might be giving up