Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l I6
Default Help Building Ultimate Cherokee

So I live in Central Kansas and am in the military. What we do on part time while on duty is grass fires. I am wanting to convert my Cherokee to be able to get down in the middle of crap and pull out someone that may be stuck in their ranger. So I am looking for alot of tips/advice.

Lift kit? 3" or 4.5"?
Tires and rims? This Cherokee will be my daily driver as well. Looking for mud terrain that have decent life on the road. Talking about a 25 mile round trip every day.
Dunlop Mud Rovers - Anyone have experience with these?

Winch? Should I get a winch or just tow strap? Has anyone mounted a winch to a stock bumper?

What else should I be looking into? I shouldn't have to drive through the fire.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Seasoned Member

I've never been to KS so I don't know what the area is like, bu if you are planning on pulling people out that are stuck, definitely get a winch. And I would NOT mount it to a stock bumper. Its thin metal and is poorly attached to the body for pulling someone out.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Never thought about that thanks
Old 02-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

If your primary goal is to build a capable recovery vehicle, you really don't need a lift. Save yourself the money and put it towards a good winch and stout winch bumper with a mounting system that ties into the frame rails for strength, like the RigidCo which has one of the strongest mounting systems I've seen;

http://www.rigidco.com/FbW.htm

Also, I would recommend a good rear bumper with tow points. You can either go with RigidCo again for that, or AJ's Offroad Armor, JCR Offroad, C-Rok, etc. Lots of options there. Throw on some good mud terrains and maybe an LSD or Aussie locker in the rear and you can pull all kinds of people out.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

well id put a fuel cell inside..replace all ruber fuel lines with braded steel.. .. oxygen supply tanks and mask..radios of everykind to get hold of ANYONE... maybe a small water tank... sprinklers ontop to cool jeep off if you acually have to drive threw a fire... Heat reflective matting threw out floor and even inside door pannels..and roof..Fire blankets..And if i thought little more im sure i could come up with more..:}
Now ofcourse im thinking way out of the box in terms of acually haveing to go pull somone out of a field thats on fire..saving someone and saving yourself and rig need to be just as importaint..:}
Old 02-19-2010, 01:34 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0L

I have the Dunlop Mud Rovers. I haven't done anything serious with them to know how they handle deep mud. But I have used them in some slick stuff, and they clean out pretty well. The only problem I have had with them is thin snow, but I was trying to go up a hill in 2wd. In the big snow storm, I had my 4wd fixed, and the snow was well over 6 inches, on the same hill(my driveway) I had no trouble getting up that time. Then again, mud terrains aren't made for snow anyways.

So I say get them. They are kinda noisy though.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:42 PM

Oh yeah, and if you plan on being very close to fires, DO NOT bed line any part of your jeep, if that catches fire, it may be hard to extinguish. I would recomend very high temp paint or something like it. And be sure to fix any and all fluid leaks, you don't want to catch your rig on fire too. Remove your carpet (those burn very well and long).

I would also say a max of 3" lift with 33" tires. This will give you a very nice foot print, and the mud rovers should grip well when winching. And staying low will make it easier to get in and out of rather quickly.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

i think this calls for a build up thread! with lots of pictures. I used to a volunteer firefighter/first responder and would love to get back into it someday!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

lockers lockers and more lockers. yes an XJ can get pretty much anywhere, but the problem is getting back out while pulling someone and i dont know about yours, but i hate my LSD. i would also look at the super swamper original TSLs. i run only super swamper tires so i am little biased though. great all around tire.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Yup I am thinking 31" Swampers, Black rim (combo) with 3" RC Lift with AAL's. I will be starting my build here in about a week or two. Once I get that tax return. I plan on dropping 2 grand into my Jeep to get it the way I want.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

i put a winch on my stock one... just tie it into the uni. or um the guys that make the tail bone make soemthing for the front called like a backbone or something check into that.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

For what you want Id plan on a lil more than 2k...jus sayin. A good winch/bumper can cost $1500 alone...
Old 02-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by EmagdniM
For what you want Id plan on a lil more than 2k...jus sayin. A good winch/bumper can cost $1500 alone...
Not to mention tires/wheels alone can push that high too.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Thats when you pay craigslist a visit
Old 02-19-2010, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

I believe kansas is only rolling hills, but could be alot of mud?? So a good mud tire would be good. Also a 3in is great choice. but dont go with a AAL, get a full pack. As for the winch, dont skimp out on price. BUt with a winch, you need a good front winch bumper with alot of frame tie ins. both front and rear. that way if you need to pull hard and fast you can do that.

Also another important item is to have lots of recovery gear. chains, tow straps, hooks, gloves, extinguishers, radios etc.

BTW the chains are for moving things like logs and debris

So i think you'll be spending a little more then 2k on this if you do it right

but thats my $.02

Quick Reply: Help Building Ultimate Cherokee