Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Heat/AC frustrations.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Heat/AC frustrations.

I recently bought my first car. She's a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport. 250,000 miles, for $1,250. The advertisement on Craigslist told me that it shakes when going over 45 mph because of the sway bar, which came with the car. We replaced it and it still shakes like a mother. Another thing was that it needed a new blower motor. It's a cheap enough part, so that didn't bother me. I recently replaced that as well, and it still takes at least 15 minutes of driving before it's warm enough for it to be comfortable. It just doesn't work until I've been driving it in 4th or 5th gear for a good couple minutes. Along with these issues, not listed on the Craigslist ad was the horrid fuel pump, filter, air filter, and a cracked radiator that someone tried to (but failed) patch. I would like some direction on what to try next on my heater problems. I've looked online but I have a hard time finding the exact model I have. She's a 5 speed with a newer engine (didn't know how many miles exactly on it, around 120,000) and a new clutch as well. Any advice is welcome, tell me I'm an idiot if need be. Just please help me. It's getting cold and harder and harder to go out and work on things. I'm sorry this is so long, I just love my jeep so much and my family keeps telling me she isn't worth over $500. They don't see the beauty in it. Every new part gets her that much closer to being a brand new car. I'm proud of her and I'm not giving up.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:22 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If the shaking is really bad it could be your track bar being worn out. Google "death wobble". Could also be out of balance tires, but that'll be more of a shimmy at specific speeds usually.

If the heat isn't getting very hot you probably need to flush out the heater core. It will get clogged up over time, especially if the fluid wasn't changed regularly. It could also be a missing or stuck open thermostat. Does the engine warm up quickly, or does it take a while according to the guage?

I wouldn't give up hope. It just needs some maintenance and you'll gain some skills doing it yourself.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:40 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 I6

If you're going to replace that cracked radiator. Make sure you've got the tool to take off the transmission coolant line. I picked up a set at autozone but it wasn't til I had the thing taken apart that I realized I needed it. That gave me the most trouble in terms of time. Radiators are cheap enough I picked one up ya the local parts store for like $75. If you have options shop around and I agree with the last thread, flush it. Good luck man.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:05 PM

The shaking starts around 45 and gets the worst at 65. Also when I'm stopping, like coming off of the interstate it's pretty bad. I can feel it pulse through my break pedal. I'll definitely try doing that. I've looked up the death wobble before and that is usually caused from hitting a bumb, that's when it starts shaking but mine doesn't do that. It just shakes no matter what. also, it takes awhile to warm up, according to the gauge.. probably a good 10 minutes of driving or more before it starts getting to where it should be. thank you for the advice !
Originally Posted by Jds12
If the shaking is really bad it could be your track bar being worn out. Google "death wobble". Could also be out of balance tires, but that'll be more of a shimmy at specific speeds usually.

If the heat isn't getting very hot you probably need to flush out the heater core. It will get clogged up over time, especially if the fluid wasn't changed regularly. It could also be a missing or stuck open thermostat. Does the engine warm up quickly, or does it take a while according to the guage?

I wouldn't give up hope. It just needs some maintenance and you'll gain some skills doing it yourself.

Last edited by alyssamaye; 11-21-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:06 PM

Do you know what specific tool I will need? Thank you for the advice. It sick getting that far and not being able to just run and go grab it because you're car is halfway taken apart! Thanks again.
Originally Posted by Lancethedance
If you're going to replace that cracked radiator. Make sure you've got the tool to take off the transmission coolant line. I picked up a set at autozone but it wasn't til I had the thing taken apart that I realized I needed it. That gave me the most trouble in terms of time. Radiators are cheap enough I picked one up ya the local parts store for like $75. If you have options shop around and I agree with the last thread, flush it. Good luck man.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:54 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

While doing the radiator, be sure to replace the thermostat with a 195*.

The tool:

http://www.wakeboards.com/w83114-p/f...435_a_7cw83114
Old 11-21-2015, 10:57 PM

Thank you so much
Originally Posted by cruiser54
While doing the radiator, be sure to replace the thermostat with a 195*.

The tool:

http://www.wakeboards.com/w83114-p/f...435_a_7cw83114
Old 11-21-2015, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by alyssamaye
Thank you so much
The tool is available at local parts stores.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:18 AM

The shaking starts around 45 and gets the worst at 65. Also when I'm stopping, like coming off of the interstate it's pretty bad. I can feel it pulse through my break pedal. I'll definitely try doing that. I've looked up the death wobble before and that is usually caused from hitting a bumb, that's when it starts shaking but mine doesn't do that. It just shakes no matter what. also, it takes awhile to warm up, according to the gauge.. probably a good 10 minutes of driving or more before it starts getting to where it should be. thank you for the advice !
How are the tires? Could be a slipped belt, out of round tire, bent wheel or balance. Definitely check the front end to make sure it's all tight too.

If you can feel it in brake pedal, it's probably warped rotors or drums which is a separate issue.

If it takes that long to warm up your thermostat is either stuck open or missing. Replace it with the 195° and flush out the heater core.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:27 PM

I'm getting new tires actually. My boyfriend is going to school to be a technician but he isn't really into jeeps much. Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate it! I'll let you know if I figure it out.
How are the tires? Could be a slipped belt, out of round tire, bent wheel or balance. Definitely check the front end to make sure it's all tight too.

If you can feel it in brake pedal, it's probably warped rotors or drums which is a separate issue.

If it takes that long to warm up your thermostat is either stuck open or missing. Replace it with the 195° and flush out the heater core.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:25 PM

I'm getting new tires actually. My boyfriend is going to school to be a technician but he isn't really into jeeps much. Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate it! I'll let you know if I figure it out.
That's good. Ask them to check the wheels for bends and if possible check the front end for loose/worn parts. If they find any make sure they show you the problem. Not all shops are bad, but they're out there. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:50 PM

That's a really good idea! Thank you again. ))
That's good. Ask them to check the wheels for bends and if possible check the front end for loose/worn parts. If they find any make sure they show you the problem. Not all shops are bad, but they're out there. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by Lancethedance
I bought this tool. And for whatever reason, it didn't work, or fit, very well.

I ended up using two small flat head screwdrivers once the radiator was out of the Jeep itself, and I pressed in the teeth holding the connection together with those. It worked like a charm.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
I bought this tool. And for whatever reason, it didn't work, or fit, very well.

I ended up using two small flat head screwdrivers once the radiator was out of the Jeep itself, and I pressed in the teeth holding the connection together with those. It worked like a charm.
Get the Lisle 39400
Old 11-26-2015, 01:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Get the Lisle 39400
Thanks for the recommendation!

Quick Reply: Heat/AC frustrations.