Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headliner Repair...FOUND A SURPRISE

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Headliner Repair...FOUND A SURPRISE

Hey guys its my first post to the forum, I figured i would introduce myself as well! My name is Zach, im 24 and from the Lexington KY area. Well, lets start this up.
Bought a stock 96 Xj Classic about 2 weeks ago, in pretty good condition. had noticed an odd smell when it was hot out, the headliner was pretty crappy, so i decided i to put new headliner fabric in today, i figured maybe the fabric just smelled.. Was pulling out the sound bar (it didn't work)....FULL OF MOUSE CRAP...had a little nest too...I couldnt believe it...Smelled awful.. I was in for little bit more of a project than i thought i was getting into. I got the rest of the trim removed and pulled out the headliner panel... When i removed the center consul (located on the ceiling, with the little over head boxes in it) found another nest, loaded with mouse crap and other collections. I pulled out the headliner panel and flipped it over... thankfully there was nothing else in there. So i decided to spray down the headliner panel with some pet stain spray, to maybe get rid of some of the smell.. and i am leavinf it outside for a while to air out. I may use some vinegar cleaner to clean out some of the smell as well. My question is...Is there any place that sells the headliner panel? I have just bought new fabric and glue...so i would really like to re-use the old panel..just worried about whether or not i will ever be able to get the smell out... What are some of the things you all have done regarding headliners? I was pretty bummed this didn't turn out the way i planned but then again what does?? haha
Old 04-21-2013, 12:26 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

I had a friend who stored one of his trucks at a friends farm. Mice made nests all up in his headliner. The owner of the farm laid poison out and a bunch died up in his headliner. Fast forward to him picking it up to take home... He had an electrical short to his roof mounted lights and the headliner caught on fire. No, it gets better... and in the process he rips it out and flaming dead mice come falling out. Mice are fun little bastards, eh?

Anyways, not sure you'll get the mouse smell out of that headliner. You might try finding someone parting out a Cherokee near you, bad headliner or not, and using theirs. I'd keep on pulling stuff, btw, the center console on the floor at the very least. When I parted out my K2500, I found nests in lots of amusing places. I started using Fresh Cab in my vehicles to keep them out.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Interesting.

I'll be replacing my headliner next Friday and I can't wait to see what I find.

I've found cockroaches under my carpet before.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by emptypockets
flaming dead mice come falling out. Mice are fun little bastards, eh?
omg i cant breathe
Old 04-21-2013, 05:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Growing up my folks had a wagoneer that had roaches.