XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hate that XJ- can't wait to.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hate that XJ- can't wait to.....

beat the snot out of it when I repossess it... in 18 months or so...

heater core is bad... it can't be a simple quick fix, can it? turns out it was less than five minutes to repair... instructions: cut both hoses, use a 5/8 barb on one side, a union, and a 3/4 barb on the other with some constant tension clamps... poof.. heater core fixed.

while warming it up to see if it was going to leak- another discovery..

what I thought was the power steering box leaking turns out to be a transmission line leaking- the one that attends to the heat exchange... easy fix, but only after I decided to go out and reinspect it and see where it was leaking which was after pricing steering boxes... got off that one easy enough...

my evil step daughter will be leaving for college to get some learnin' at the end of next summer... I'm gonna tell her worthless but well heeled pa that he needs to unass a new ride for her... and i'm going to make a expendable trial machine out of that thing. I'm going to start by taking a saw to the roof and making a great big sunroof... I've spent more fixin' that thing than I paid fer'it... I fully expect to collect on that once it's repossessed... and just because it will feel so dang good.

dangit...

</rant>
Old 12-28-2016, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by drewactual
beat the snot out of it when I repossess it... in 18 months or so...

heater core is bad... it can't be a simple quick fix, can it? turns out it was less than five minutes to repair... instructions: cut both hoses, use a 5/8 barb on one side, a union, and a 3/4 barb on the other with some constant tension clamps... poof.. heater core fixed.

while warming it up to see if it was going to leak- another discovery..

what I thought was the power steering box leaking turns out to be a transmission line leaking- the one that attends to the heat exchange... easy fix, but only after I decided to go out and reinspect it and see where it was leaking which was after pricing steering boxes... got off that one easy enough...

my evil step daughter will be leaving for college to get some learnin' at the end of next summer... I'm gonna tell her worthless but well heeled pa that he needs to unass a new ride for her... and i'm going to make a expendable trial machine out of that thing. I'm going to start by taking a saw to the roof and making a great big sunroof... I've spent more fixin' that thing than I paid fer'it... I fully expect to collect on that once it's repossessed... and just because it will feel so dang good.

dangit...

</rant>
earth to drew, earth to drew.....Reality is calling, it wants to welcome you to Planet Jeep.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Don't beat it! They are masochistic! It will fall in love with you and start following you around. Also, a word from the wise. If you cut the sunroof, don't use hollow points to make the drain holes in the floor. Just trust me there.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:29 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Well, it's an old jeep after all
Old 12-28-2016, 07:34 PM

in all truth, real and imagined- I just want it to survive long enough for me to beat on it...

"it's reliable" they said.
"it's bulletproof" they said.
"you can drive it forever" they said.

in all fairness, it has had a rough and tough life- and it shows. the heater core is a royal PITA to get to, but get to it I will. it appears the aftermarket ones only last a year and a half to two years? well- turns out that is perfect timing!!! (I won't be needing one of those for my purposes). I'm half a mind to go after it THROUGH the firewall with a sawzaw and a piece of sheet metal tacked back in place- just because that sounds fun and there aren't any instructions to labor over....

good times in 3.... 2... 1.....
Old 12-28-2016, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

In two, or three?, of my Jeeps, and probably a few more of others, (including a Subaru), just one small tube, (Dia of quarter, 3 in long), or just half to start with, of none other than Aluma Seal brand stop leak, has been successful every time plugging small pinhole leaks in the heater core, without clogging anything, or having any undesirable effect.

I mix 1/2 a tube in water in a bottle. Right before an extended drive, add it in. Give it days or a week to find the hole. Add the other 1/2 if that doesn't work. That's it, still leaks, no point in adding more in my opinion. The fine powder will try to settle, and do that better in areas with lower flow, like back behind #6. Add more, you get a thicker layer somewhere.

During those first days/week whatever will lay around below 3000, 3500 RPM, is just gonna stay there. Why not goose it up over 4000 now and then to pick up a bit more into circulation? Plus you can pray there. This might help a tad!

Last edited by DFlintstone; 12-28-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:47 PM

just because i'm fresh out of fcks (for several years, so- maybe 'fresh' is a bit duplicitous a wordy word), I may try something even stranger..... the core is disbanned/bypassed right now.. I have a 12v pump that will fit in your hand made for constant duty service... I could plumb it in on it's own circuit for a few days pushing leak-stop and water- and then flush the hades out of it, run it a few more days monitoring it's fluid level before introducing it back into the cooling circuit...

that may hold my interest a lot better than dragging the dash out of that thing... just because I haven't seen it done before....
Old 12-28-2016, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

One thing that can still make me want to boil over, is to hit a wrong button and loose half an hr of text.

Summation: Electric pump is high pressure. (danger) Nil, with no resistance won't cram the bits into the hole. The stuff might be made to work better at temp. A Jeep would provide the correct pressure and temp.

A tube or less isn't going to clog anything up. Where it to be any issue at all, the small tubes in the heater core would be first, then you would end up with a problem with the heater core.

And I do applaud your ingenuity. Details handled, and you are off!

If you run a hose 41.5 feet up, that would give you your 18# pressure. Make it black, in the sun.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:52 PM

i actually thought of that...

it's occurred to me to try to use a spare eberspacher hydronic d5 in that circuit, and program the pressure up to about half of the pumps capacity of 10 bar/150psi (aim for 50 to 70psi)... the eberspacher can easily warm it to around 200*f and I can basically allow the eberspacher to run it constantly at that temperature and pressure for as long as i want...

i'm thinking two days with either the aluminum powder sealer, or maybe some of that crap they use in industrial volatile chemical piping- which is hella better than anything meant for automotive use.

the worse it could do is not work... and i spend next weekend dragging the dash out. i mean, i've got these toys laying around, so why not use them?

I just got the cooling system on that thing squared away- and solved the riddle to my satisfaction as to why a 195* stat runs that engine at 210*.... in short, it doesn't... it runs it at a constant and steady regardless of load 204 to 206* with no deviation except after hard acceleration and only for a second or two before the system catches up to it------- well, it did- until the heater core sprung a leak.

which may be why the core sprung a leak. it involves pressurizing the system a about two pounds more than OE, and having fresh (new) passages on the heads and cleaned passages in the block (via both a shop vac and use of restore and restore plus).

i'm tired of working on the xj... i like wrenching my diesel for recreation- not upkeeping an ungrateful jeep...