XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

GoPro/Action Cam Shooting Tips

Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default GoPro/Action Cam Shooting Tips

Wanted to get some ideas for mounting cameras and shooting out on the trails. I just picked up a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver and played with it a little last week. The video quality is sweet, but it doesn't really capture the feel of the crazy climbs or off camber situations.
What settings are you guys using? Where do you mount yours for the best results?
Maybe we can use this to link to YouTube videos for thoughts or ideas for improvement.
I look forward to seeing what you guys are doing.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I don't have a lot of footage to offer as examples but I can offer my experience. If your intention is to make an epic video it requires some sacrifices, especially if you're shooting with one camera. The extremely wide-angle nature of the GoPro tends to minimize the perception of angles so the footage never looks as incredible as it felt doing it. The best way to illustrate the extreme is to supplement the onboard video with hand-held or tripod shots which means you may have to do some of it twice (oh the horror!).

I always shoot in 1080p 60fps in case I need slo-mo. I also use 1080p "Narrow" sometimes, it provides a more normal field of view which doesn't have the same dulling effect on the terrain. I also recommend shooting in ProTune, it's a little more work but provides a lot more editing flexibility. The one caveat with ProTune is that it almost has to be edited or it looks a little dull and washed out.

I'm still experimenting with shooting angles and mounting locations. I've only been on one wheeling trip since I got my GoPro and this is what I did...

This is unedited ProTune. I'm working on remaking this with edited/developed footage.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

For the most part you can tell when there is something difficult on the trail, but with one camera it can get tricky. I try to watch professional gopro videos and think of the angles they use but I only have one camera.
I saw that you have spotters in your video, if you have them hold the camera then it will give you the better view you want...I think lol. It will show the trail and flexing better. Also use the wifi app to watch the video on your phone while filming to help preview the camera view before missing out on recording something awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3K4B...ature=youtu.be
Here's one of mine. I used the suction cup on the top of my windshield and the video looks okay to me. I also just edited it with pro tune to give it a little extra
Old 02-22-2014, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

- For better perspective for the trail variances mount the camera lower on the body.
- Since you only have one camera, use another camera inside the vehicle (most smart phones work alright) and aim from the top middle of the dash straight out. Another option here is to set up a tripod in the back seat and bungee/ratchet it in place.
- Run it in 1080p at 60fps as F1addict mentioned for better quality and better slo-mo capability.
- Have a good quality editing program. This is where it gets pricey, but the reason all the pro videos look so good is in the editing. That and they have a minimum of 2 cameras per person (skydiving is usually a 2 camera deal)/vehicle (3 cameras is the absolute minimum they use).

This is unedited of me and a couple buddies. Nothing fancy, just shows what the POV is with dash top mount.

Purely handheld (makes it really bouncy, even with image stabilization being added in) and lowest quality setting

Again, all free hand, lowest quality, but it gives you some ideas for perspective angles on a trail.

None are great videos, but maybe they'll give you some ideas.

A lot of trail stuff requires a third person POV in order to get the "severity" Camera-on-vehicle tends to make it look a lot less. Of course this means "setting up the shot", which, surprise surprise, the pros do many times. When they don't, it's all about experience. The more you do it the better you'll get at it.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by no rdplz
- For better perspective for the trail variances mount the camera lower on the body. - Since you only have one camera, use another camera inside the vehicle (most smart phones work alright) and aim from the top middle of the dash straight out. Another option here is to set up a tripod in the back seat and bungee/ratchet it in place. - Run it in 1080p at 60fps as F1addict mentioned for better quality and better slo-mo capability. - Have a good quality editing program. This is where it gets pricey, but the reason all the pro videos look so good is in the editing. That and they have a minimum of 2 cameras per person (skydiving is usually a 2 camera deal)/vehicle (3 cameras is the absolute minimum they use). This is unedited of me and a couple buddies. Nothing fancy, just shows what the POV is with dash top mount. Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTMat86qDHc Purely handheld (makes it really bouncy, even with image stabilization being added in) and lowest quality setting Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQQe0oNb3RY Again, all free hand, lowest quality, but it gives you some ideas for perspective angles on a trail. Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-MkJp_BGrs None are great videos, but maybe they'll give you some ideas. A lot of trail stuff requires a third person POV in order to get the "severity" Camera-on-vehicle tends to make it look a lot less. Of course this means "setting up the shot", which, surprise surprise, the pros do many times. When they don't, it's all about experience. The more you do it the better you'll get at it.
lots of good info here when I go wheeling there are usually 3-4 of is with action cams so we just mount them in random places and record as we drove getting different views of the rigs and trail
Old 02-22-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have a go pro but i have messed with one before and have a question for you guys.
Does anyone make an orbital type mount? Just was thinking it would be pretty sweet if the cam stayed level while the jeep was climbing or on a decent.
Also has anyone made a mount yet that the camera doesnt shake around inside and ruin the audio?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XRated
I dont have a go pro but i have messed with one before and have a question for you guys.
Does anyone make an orbital type mount? Just was thinking it would be pretty sweet if the cam stayed level while the jeep was climbing or on a decent.
Also has anyone made a mount yet that the camera doesnt shake around inside and ruin the audio?
On that last part, yes, GoPro. The case itself keeps the camera from shaking and distorting noise, so really any mount you use is going to be fine as the case itself is the protection. But you also have to remember that almost any small camera is going to have a middle level microphone at best, so audio is going to be "great" unless you do separate audio recording.

As for the orbital, here's what someone else came up with for a GoPro:
Old 02-22-2014, 10:28 AM

Thanks guys. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. Luckily, my buddy just picked up a GoPro as well so we can get more angles simultaneously. I haven't messed with pro tune just yet since last time was the first attempt. In going to do a little more reading for the trip next month.
I did experiment with some other angles, check out the other videos on my channel. I would love you opinions as to improving these.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

Check these out, especially 3 Potts Mountain.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP9caz6Ku2fYaImSUBFTZ8w
These are filmed with a Kodak Play Sport mounted on the rear bumper.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rockhead
Check these out, especially 3 Potts Mountain. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP9caz6Ku2fYaImSUBFTZ8w These are filmed with a Kodak Play Sport mounted on the rear bumper.
I like how you can see both of the wheels articulating over the rocks with that view. I think I'll have to try that one with a second hand held pointed at the Jeep to get some perspective of the incline next time.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

Wow. I really like that home built self leveling mount. My Sunday will be spent in the garage listening to the Daytona 500 and taking a crack at making one of those. Thanks.
Take a close look at vid 4 Potts Mountain.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP9caz6Ku2fYaImSUBFTZ8w
The camera is hard mounted to the dash (see mount in pic). That slight self leveling motion must be some kind of camera stabilizing on-board software.
Attached Thumbnails GoPro/Action Cam Shooting Tips-0726131338.jpg  
Old 02-23-2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rockhead
Wow. I really like that home built self leveling mount. My Sunday will be spent in the garage listening to the Daytona 500 and taking a crack at making one of those. Thanks. Take a close look at vid 4 Potts Mountain. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP9caz6Ku2fYaImSUBFTZ8w The camera is hard mounted to the dash (see mount in pic). That slight self leveling motion must be some kind of camera stabilizing on-board software.
That looks pretty good. I think that is the best angle for higher speed trails, plus you don't have to worry about knocking the camera off and running over it.
On another note, that photo of the dash mount conveniently reveals a bad *** shock setup. I'm definitely jealous.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:00 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche
Engine: 4.0

here is how i mount mine. also have a mount on the hood and on the back bumper.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...93679992903638
Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
As for the orbital, here's what someone else came up with for a GoPro: Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaX_K2c-HUc
I definitely going to build one of these leveling mounts. It seems too easy not to try it.

Last edited by 98XJ40K; 02-24-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98XJ40K
I definitely going to build one of these leveling mounts. It seems too easy not to try it.
Same here. I've been wanting to, I just need to take the time to actually do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GoPro/Action Cam Shooting Tips