Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this a good XJ? Rust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Is this a good XJ? Rust?

Hi!

I am very excited to be looking for an XJ!

I found this 2000 with 156k miles but I'm worried about the rust on the axles and undercarriage.

I'm sort of a car newb so I'm not really sure what I'm looking at...

They're asking $4850 but I'm feeling more $3-4k...

Thoughts?

http://imgur.com/a/7LfJw

http://imgur.com/a/4zeEv

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...741463242.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/CherokeeXJ/c..._with_a_rusty/
Old 11-06-2014, 04:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Looks like a little bit of surface rust on the hard parts, nothing to really worry about (some bolts might be difficult to remove though). Make sure to check the floors and frame rails though, surface rust can be easily dealt with using some good rust inhibitor paint (POR15, Rust-Bullet, Chassis-Saver, etc.) but holes and rot signify more major issues and if there is severe rust you can see there is likely more that you can't.

Also being a 2000 make sure to look for signs of a cracked head (coolant in oil, oil in coolant, etc.) since 2000-2001's had the 0331 head which is prone to cracking if overheated.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by dmill89
Looks like a little bit of surface rust on the hard parts, nothing to really worry about (some bolts might be difficult to remove though). Make sure to check the floors and frame rails though, surface rust can be easily dealt with using some good rust inhibitor paint (POR15, Rust-Bullet, Chassis-Saver, etc.) but holes and rot signify more major issues and if there is severe rust you can see there is likely more that you can't.

Also being a 2000 make sure to look for signs of a cracked head (coolant in oil, oil in coolant, etc.) since 2000-2001's had the 0331 head which is prone to cracking if overheated.
Awesome! Good to know.

As a total car newb would you mind explaining how I can check for those things?

They did also mention that it is dripping a little bit of oil but I hear that it's common.

I am also considering a 99 jeep with 133,000 miles but the body and interior are not nearly as good condition for 4500

Thank you so much!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by JBlue
Awesome! Good to know.

As a total car newb would you mind explaining how I can check for those things?

They did also mention that it is dripping a little bit of oil but I hear that it's common.

I am also considering a 99 jeep with 133,000 miles but the body and interior are not nearly as good condition for 4500

Thank you so much!
For rust take a good look at the floor pans, frame rails, and rocker panels, a flat-head screw-driver is an excellent rust detector (poke any rusted areas, if the screwdriver goes through it is rusted through). It is perfectly normal for "hard-parts" (axles, drive-shafts, suspension components, etc.) to have some surface rust (these parts rarely if ever rust through).

For the potential 0331 head crack, look for any signs of coolant in the oil (oil will look like a "milkshake") or vice-versa. The best way to tell is to pull the valve cover and look at the head (the crack occurs between #3 and #4 cylinders) but most sellers aren't going to let you do this (so this is usually a check you perform after buying the vehicle to keep a $500 cracked head from turning into a $2k engine rebuild/replacement due to coolant contamination of the oil), looking carefully down the oil-fill hole with a flashlight you can sometimes spot a crack as well (usually only if it is really bad).

Another thing to look for is low oil pressure, it should be 13psi min at hot idle (the gauge isn't incredibly accurate so above 10 should be fine, the senders are also known for failing so abnormal readings should be verified with a mechanical gauge), and increase under load. Low oil pressure can indicate worn bearings (possibly due to coolant contamination of the oil from a cracked head) or a failing oil-pump, a cheap filter (especially Fram)can also cause low pressure.

Also don't be afraid to look at XJs with higher mileage, if properly maintained the XJ's drivetrain can easily go 300k mi, so it is more important to get one that is rust-free (or only has minimal surface rust) and has been well maintained, than for it to have low mileage.

Last edited by dmill89; 11-06-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:12 PM

Thank you! That helped a lot
Old 11-06-2014, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Its nice but high priced to me,I would pass and look for a 99 or older.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Its nice but high priced to me,I would pass and look for a 99 or older.
Thats exactly what I did! Decided to go with the '99 with 131k... annnd cruise control!

Thanks to everyone for their quick responses, I will take pictures and introduce myself shortly
Old 11-07-2014, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

As far as years go I prefer the 99's over most all the others for a lot of different reasons engine, front/rear differentials in the 99 and less emissions then 00-01's for just a few.

Prices vary area to area but both seem to be on the high side.

No disrespect meant but you might think about finding someone older with more knowledge of cars and 4x4's and have them help you looking at these. Most of all experience with bickering over car prices for the best price........Or knowing when to walk away.

Good luck my friend from an old guy that has bought and sold 100's of cars and trucks in the last 67 yrs.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
As far as years go I prefer the 99's over most all the others for a lot of different reasons engine, front/rear differentials in the 99 and less emissions then 00-01's for just a few.

Prices vary area to area but both seem to be on the high side.

No disrespect meant but you might think about finding someone older with more knowledge of cars and 4x4's and have them help you looking at these. Most of all experience with bickering over car prices for the best price........Or knowing when to walk away.

Good luck my friend from an old guy that has bought and sold 100's of cars and trucks in the last 67 yrs.
Good to hear! Glad I went with the 99.

No disrespect taken, I did call up my buddy who works at a 4 wheel parts shop, he taught me a bunch and I ended up buying his Jeep

Thank you!
Old 11-08-2014, 02:00 AM
CF Veteran

The xj is the civic of the 4x4 world,Only limit of what you can do to one is your wallet.