Sponsored by: DashLynx

Good deal or??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Looking to buy another XJ. What do you think about this one???

Looking to get another XJ soon. im gonna try to sell mine to someone who can help her with her frame rust and rotting issue. or im gonna part her out. im not sure. And im actually gonna look at one this weekend. I found a posting on CL and it looks like a great deal. The guy is selling a 1995 XJ Sport for $3,500. It has 89k original miles. a 3" skyjacker lift with full leafs. black rock rims with 31x10.5x15 Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires wrapped around them with about 95% tread left. i texted the guy and said he is the second owner, did the lift with his dad who "is a retired mechanic" says theres no rust underneath. 4x4 works fine. interior is "mint". the clear coat on the hood and roof is pealing and there are some scratches and dings here and there but i dont care too much about that.

heres some photos of it. what do you guys think??
Attached Thumbnails Good deal or??-img_1910_0348.jpg   Good deal or??-img_1908_0347.jpg  

Last edited by bwb0440; 04-23-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM

any opinions??
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

If it's mechanically sound (idles/drives well, doesn't overheat, etc), I'd buy it for that price. That thing is a baby at that many miles
Old 04-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I'd buy it for that mileage alone as long as it seems to run right.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I would ask for the vin and check the mileage and see if the owner is telling the truth about being second. It easy to run a report. Pm me the vin and Ill run it for you if you can't do it. If he turns out to be honest then That could be a fair price.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

be very careful with miles that low. ask him if it has been sitting for any period greater than 6 months. mine sat for a year and had 118k miles. damn near all the engine parts looked fine but were rotting out from the inside. I've had to replace almost everything and I'm still dealing with repairs on a monthly basis. higher miles can actually be a good thing

other than that I like it for something more along the lines of $2500
Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

It looks good. I'd only pay around $2500 for it though, regardless of miles, its still an 18 year old vehicle, and the aftermarket stuff doesn't really add any value to it.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Seems a little bit steep to me. Then again I just looked on Ebay and saw some going for like 13K... lol
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by BatmanXJ
I would ask for the vin and check the mileage and see if the owner is telling the truth about being second. It easy to run a report. Pm me the vin and Ill run it for you if you can't do it. If he turns out to be honest then That could be a fair price.
Will do ill deff try to get the vin and take a look at the mileage for myself.

Originally Posted by Atmos
be very careful with miles that low. ask him if it has been sitting for any period greater than 6 months. mine sat for a year and had 118k miles. damn near all the engine parts looked fine but were rotting out from the inside. I've had to replace almost everything and I'm still dealing with repairs on a monthly basis. higher miles can actually be a good thing

other than that I like it for something more along the lines of $2500
i didnt even know that was possible to have parts on the inside rot out from sitting. unless water got in the engine or something... is there any way i can tell if parts on the inside are bad if he doesnt know how long its been sitting? because supposedly that was the kids dd for almost a year now when he bought it off the "original owner" who also used it as a dd but sold it to him because he bought a new jeep. the kid he recently got a cummins truck so its been sitting for a week or so with him. but ill deff offer $2500 first and see if he bites

Originally Posted by kirknd4spd
It looks good. I'd only pay around $2500 for it though, regardless of miles, its still an 18 year old vehicle, and the aftermarket stuff doesn't really add any value to it.
true.. im just hoping everything is fine with the unibody, engine/drivetrain. and offer $2500
Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 PM

theres another posting nearby on CL. this guy is selling his 98 with a rebuilt motor has 50k on it. and told me theres no rust underneath. I feel better about this one from just looking at the two. hopefully we'll see this weekend.

what do you guys think?

"1998 jeep Cherokee xj. New motor with 50xxx miles 98xxx miles on body. Runs and drives with no problems. Lifted 4.5 inches with 31in tires. Perfect truck. Need gone. Need cash. 5000 or best offer. "
Attached Images  

Last edited by bwb0440; 04-25-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bwb0440
i didnt even know that was possible to have parts on the inside rot out from sitting. unless water got in the engine or something... is there any way i can tell if parts on the inside are bad if he doesnt know how long its been sitting? because supposedly that was the kids dd for almost a year now when he bought it off the "original owner" who also used it as a dd but sold it to him because he bought a new jeep. the kid he recently got a cummins truck so its been sitting for a week or so with him. but ill deff offer $2500 first and see if he bites
All of the fluids sitting in hoses and things just sitting in general. My heater core, radiator both bad. I'm still replacing hoses, sensors, and various fuses and other random stuff. There's not much left to replace under my hood. Go get a chiltons guide and read up on how to check all the fluids and typical maintanence stuff. I checked everything but the engine still had a lot of internal build up. Just make him be specific on how often it's been driven. If its been consistent you shouldn't have many major problems. 6 months or more of sitting its gonna take even more work than usual
Old 04-25-2013, 01:16 AM

heres another posted 3 hours ago.

"For Sale is my '99 Jeep cherokee
currently has 149,000 miles
the truck is lifted 4.5 inches with a Rustys offroad lift. all work done by myserlf
The truck has 32" pro comp mud terrain tires
has offroad pre runner bumper installed
K&n cold air intake
Cat back flowmaster 40 series exhaust muffler and tail pipe
within the last year have changed many parts including:
battery, starter,
front brake pads/ cross drilled rotors... rear shoes and wheel cylinders
in the front have changed both wheel bearings along with axle shaft u-joint
new radiator and cooling hoses w/ fan shroud
new crankshaft sensor
valve cover gasket
after market flip out stereo with kenwood speakers all around.
needs new antenna wire but may replace it

it is a great beach truck and all work listed above was done by myself
i had bought the truck completely stock"
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 AM

All of the fluids sitting in hoses and things just sitting in general. My heater core, radiator both bad. I'm still replacing hoses, sensors, and various fuses and other random stuff. There's not much left to replace under my hood. Go get a chiltons guide and read up on how to check all the fluids and typical maintanence stuff. I checked everything but the engine still had a lot of internal build up. Just make him be specific on how often it's been driven. If its been consistent you shouldn't have many major problems. 6 months or more of sitting its gonna take even more work than usual
ahh that all makes sense!! hahah so, if alls good. should i go for that one??

i just recently posted a couple other options i found.. should i try to go for one of those instead? get a 98 which i currently have, or that 99. the 99 looks freakin awesome if you ask me. no idea how the rust is on that since he says its a beach truck, my buddy somewhat knows the kid and says he takes it offroad nd on the beach a bit. but doesnt know how the underside is.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:47 AM
CF Veteran

how much for the black 99? black 99's are shweet
do what you like and buy what you can afford. they're all money pits. personally I prefer completely stock but I'd take that 99 if the paint is still good. sounds like its had the most maintenance done
Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 AM

how much for the black 99? black 99's are shweet
do what you like and buy what you can afford. they're all money pits. personally I prefer completely stock but I'd take that 99 if the paint is still good. sounds like its had the most maintenance done
yeah im really liking that 99. alot. he wants $4,900. idk how much ill be able to talk him down if the paint is good and theres minimal to no rust. id prefer stock too ive always wanted to lift mine and make it my own. put my own work into it. but im never gonna get around to it soon enough since im a full time student and ill be working alot over the summer. so mind as well buy one with one! not the smartest idea but, im willing to take that risk. ill be taking a close look at the lift too and make sure nothing looks off..

Quick Reply: Good deal or??