Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre HIGH OUTPUT
Default Future inspection of old Cherokees

I own a 1991 Jeep Cherokee and has ODBI, 1996 was the first to get ODBII and was woundering what will happen if inspection places stop using ODBI. AutoZone/Advance "Auto stores around me" quit using ODBI and only use ODBII now and told me to take to a dealership to have it checked. I did reading online and can upgrade to a ODBII but from short reading looks like a new wire harness and such, I snaged a ODBII plug out of a 96 Cherokee if I ever did upgrade. Also what is the every vehicle by 2015 must have a black box? Is that just for new cars being made by 2015 and so on forever to require to have a black box or will us old Cherokee owners need one to be street legal?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Cherokee_Laredo
I own a 1991 Jeep Cherokee and has ODBI, 1996 was the first to get ODBII and was woundering what will happen if inspection places stop using ODBI. AutoZone/Advance "Auto stores around me" quit using ODBI and only use ODBII now and told me to take to a dealership to have it checked. I did reading online and can upgrade to a ODBII but from short reading looks like a new wire harness and such, I snaged a ODBII plug out of a 96 Cherokee if I ever did upgrade. Also what is the every vehicle by 2015 must have a black box? Is that just for new cars being made by 2015 and so on forever to require to have a black box or will us old Cherokee owners need one to be street legal?
Just going to say this. Think about all of the cars that don't have OBDI. According to very quick research, OBDI became popular/required in the late 70s. Ask yourself this: how do cars without OBDI get though inspection currently? Because if OBDI gets phased out (doubt it, can't see why it would... they already have the readers and such?), well... that's most likely how it'll work. The government isn't going to expect people with OBDI to swap wiring harnesses and retrofit all sorts of **** into their vehicles.

Common sense guesses... assuming by inspection, you mean emissions.. Where I live, cars older than a certain age are exempt from emissions testing... so I'd assume that if OBDI gets phased out, they'd be exempt as well.. Also, I'd assume whatever this "black box" thing is you mentioned would be like any automotive safety feature of the past has been like... like seat belts, or Electronic Stability Control. Seat belts aren't required on antique cars. ESC is a required feature for all vehicles manufactured after 2012, but that doesn't mean you need to retrofit it onto every car ever.

Just common-sense guesses, though.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s1813/text Read it yourself. Or here:

SEC. 31406. VEHICLE EVENT DATA RECORDERS.
(a) Mandatory Event Data Recorders-

(1) IN GENERAL- Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall revise part 563 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, to require, beginning with model year 2015, that new passenger motor vehicles sold in the United States be equipped with an event data recorder that meets the requirements under that part.
All cars model 2015 and later must include a black box. Not a big deal. 96% of new cars have them anyway.

(b) Limitations on Information Retrieval-

(1) OWNERSHIP OF DATA- Any data in an event data recorder required under part 563 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, regardless of when the passenger motor vehicle in which it is installed was manufactured, is the property of the owner, or in the case of a leased vehicle, the lessee of the passenger motor vehicle in which the data recorder is installed.

(2) PRIVACY- Data recorded or transmitted by such a data recorder may not be retrieved by a person other than the owner or lessee of the motor vehicle in which the recorder is installed unless--

(A) a court authorizes retrieval of the information in furtherance of a legal proceeding;

(B) the owner or lessee consents to the retrieval of the information for any purpose, including the purpose of diagnosing, servicing, or repairing the motor vehicle;

(C) the information is retrieved pursuant to an investigation or inspection authorized under section 1131(a) or 30166 of title 49, United States Code, and the personally identifiable information of the owner, lessee, or driver of the vehicle and the vehicle identification number is not disclosed in connection with the retrieved information; or

(D) the information is retrieved for the purpose of determining the need for, or facilitating, emergency medical response in response to a motor vehicle crash.
Police won't be able to get at the information w/o a warrant.

Last edited by tssguy123; 08-08-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Some people worry about the craziest stuff. Just leave it alone, you're not going to be required to change anything to make an OBDI into an OBDII in the future, or ever.So until Obama's jack booted thugs come kicking your door in, don't worry about it.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Some people worry about the craziest stuff. Just leave it alone, you're not going to be required to change anything to make an OBDI into an OBDII in the future, or ever.So until Obama's jack booted thugs come kicking your door in, don't worry about it.
That's what I'm sayin...
Old 01-23-2014, 02:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 Litre HIGH OUTPUT

Ive been watching car tech videos lately and seen alot of future tech such as: Cameras all over your car, completely self driving, connected to a transportation network, Smart car brands, Electric cars brands, GPS tracking, no Keys, control your car with a smart phone. Alot of tech and controlling tech, I dont see alot of exciting futures ahead, atleast to me but a boring ride to your not so long gone job. Robots taking over your job, but a diffrent topic" Just been woundering, since I own 2 old vehicles that I wouldnt trade for any other vehicles, what would it be like owing/driving your old vehicle "XJ" in 2020? I can see alot of laws or outlawed vehicles or if not outlawed, huge taxes if you decided to own a polluting vehicle/ a danger to the public by then since its not a smart connected vehicle.. Another bad would be driving on a back road that says 25MHP - 35MPH and everyone always "Use to" goes 45MPH - 50MPH, but the smart car will only travel the speed limit. So what are your thoughts on smart cars and the future of everything connected and wanting to drive your XJ in 2020 and decides that they dont want to own a electric smart car.

Last edited by Cherokee_Laredo; 01-23-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:08 AM
CF Veteran

Dude people drive cars from 1930 on the roads... Nothing is going to happen in the next 5 years that will make it to where I can't drive my XJ on the roads.. Rofl. I don't understand the whole chicken little sky is falling mentality.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by tssguy123
I don't understand the whole chicken little sky is falling mentality.
That's what the towns people said when the Germans came goose stepping into Poland.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by tssguy123
Dude people drive cars from 1930 on the roads... Nothing is going to happen in the next 5 years that will make it to where I can't drive my XJ on the roads.. Rofl. I don't understand the whole chicken little sky is falling mentality.
Indeed.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
That's what the towns people said when the Germans came goose stepping into Poland.
Until they start trying to pass laws attempting to force retrofitting safety and fuel efficiency equipment in older vehicles, I'm not the least bit worried. I don't plan on buying a new car any time soon, so those laws don't effect me in the slightest. Hell I don't even have to get an emissions test where I live
Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The check odb1 codes all you need is a short piece of wire,You look up which two holes you put it its different from car markers sometimes.Turn on the key count the engine light blinks look the code up online problem sloved.As far as smog testing give it time they will be grandfathered in or something.

Last edited by andrewmp6; 01-23-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99

The only thing that is going to take the old engines off the road is all that Ethanol in the gas!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

They will never sell retrofit kits like you are worrying about IMHO, people are already buying less and less new cars and nursing there old cars longer and longer, which hurts the automakers. Putting out a kit that gives older vehicles some of the safety features of a new vehicle would hurt them even more. I could see them start trying to Tax the use of older vehicles out of use, but thats probably a long way off itself. By the way werent we supposed to have Flying Cars by now?? WTH?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by PDXJ
They will never sell retrofit kits like you are worrying about IMHO, people are already buying less and less new cars and nursing there old cars longer and longer, which hurts the automakers. Putting out a kit that gives older vehicles some of the safety features of a new vehicle would hurt them even more. I could see them start trying to Tax the use of older vehicles out of use, but thats probably a long way off itself. By the way werent we supposed to have Flying Cars by now?? WTH?
We will never see mainstream flying cars. It's too dangerous. Think about it...and watch Back To The Future II and you'll see why.

As for inspection of older vehicles, I sure hope nothing more is done to prevent older cars from cruising around. I'm convinced that every vehicle I'll ever own has already been produced and is at least 10 years old. I hate all of this new junk that's out there. OP, I see you are in PA as well, so if you are concerned about it...I suggest you find a cool inspection mechanic!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

I am not even sure if my 85XJ even has OBDI. I am so glad Kentucky doesn't require emissions or vehicle inspections Unless you live in Louisville that is.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

I know the renix jeeps are non obd which is nice I don't have a check engine light to be on at smog time

Quick Reply: Future inspection of old Cherokees