Fuse Box Blues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Fuse Box Blues

Hey all! I just recently purchased a '95 Cherokee (not 100% sure on trim level)n w/ 4.0 HO auto and 2wd. I gave the jeep a good once over drove it before bought it. The motor runs good, the ac works well and everything works. On the drive home, as I stopped to get gas, I noticed some smoke coming out from under the hood; the fusebox was the culprit. I pulled the fuse and started the truck again, to let it run and see if anything was off.....; everything was working. Looking at the fuses, there were 2 60A fuses; one in ALT SRC 1 and the other in ALT SRC 2. So, I drove it on home w/o the fuse in ALT SRC 2 w/ everything working. Just a few blocks away from home, the jeep sputtered briefly, the the speedo dropped to 0. As I pulled in to my destination, the battery was just about dead.

Any idea what the ALT SRC 2 60A fuse controls? Alternetor? Either way, I'll definitely have to rewire as the fuse melted the box in that area.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:21 PM

Ok... so I managed to find out, originally the ALT SRC 2 fuse was smoking, so I pulled it and drove on home. By the time I got home the I was completely running on battery power and it was just about dead. I figured out that both ALT SRC 1 and 2 were in parallel w/ the alternator on one side and the battery on the other. Today, I pulled ALT SRC 1 fuse out (it was only 50A), and one of the two legs were welded in place. Needless to say... both fuses were blown. I replaced them both w/ the correct value and it fixed my issue. But, WOW... the a/c and the headlights really draw some juice from the battery.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:58 PM

Man... what's a cat gotta' do to get a response? I have another question in regards to the alt/fuse/batt issue. So, the real problem was the fact that the both fuses were blown and I only knew of one at the time. Since both fuses were blown, it had pretty well burned up the fuse slots in the box. Now, I want to relocate 2 external fuses between the battery and alternator... what gauge wire would you recommend for 2 60A fuses in parallel between the ALT and BATT? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

I can't answer your ? But if you put this in oem tech you might have better luck.