Fun, Easy, Cheap Mods for XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Fun, Easy, Cheap Mods for XJ

Hey ya'll! Im looking for some easy, fun, DIY mods for my XJ. Im a college student so like always money isn't on my side. Im looking for stuff thats cheap or things i can just do at home in my driveway. Im open to anything, i wanna have fun with it all. Everyones got a creative bone in their body so I'd love to hear what everyones done to their jeep and all other ideas. Thanks guys!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

WELCOME!

PM jhc7399 about his headlight harnesses. Cheap (less than $20?) Easy to install (plug and play) One of the best mods you can do. Increases OEM headlight output and takes the load (literally) off of your headlight switch. Then later you can get these and light up the world:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331624679148
Old 04-13-2017, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Engine: 4.0

Welcome.

What I just did was replace my battery and the 4 cables that attach to it. I spent about $180 on parts. If you go with a cheaper battery it would be even less. Napa has a sale where you buy a bucket and get 20% off 3 or more items that fit in it. Just so happens my battery just crapped out and Its needed cables since before I even bought it. Also used marine style terminals and for the first time in my life I added a pair of the fiber washers under the terminals.

What are the specs of your xj?

Mostly replacing parts and reconditioning things is where I start. I start with the free stuff. I like to really clean a vehicle up when I take possession. Replacing gaskets is a good start for cheap also. Best to start fresh. Change all fluids is another. things like changing out all the interior bulbs to LED. Even adding some new lighting. I'm on a super low tight budget myself and the biggest thing is I don't get a lot of jeep time. I'm slowly working on doing all this while also replacing parts that are badly needed.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:32 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L non 0331 head

Re covering your headliner. I did mine last week, switched to black. It was time consuming but easily done in one day at a leisurely pace.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:10 PM

Thank you for that, thats a lot of helpful information. Ive done a few basic things like new battery, new spark plugs, new filter. Im gonna change all the fluids when i get home for summer in 2 weeks. She's been running great ever since i got her back in december so I'm happy about that. I agree that the simple basic things are important as well.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepification
Re covering your headliner. I did mine last week, switched to black. It was time consuming but easily done in one day at a leisurely pace.
My headliner is pretty wack right now. Theres no carpet on it so its just the foam padding stuff. i thought about taking it off and just having the metal be exposed but well see. Ive had an american flag on it to hide the ugly padding. Maybe ill replace it all, it definitely would look better.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
WELCOME!

PM jhc7399 about his headlight harnesses. Cheap (less than $20?) Easy to install (plug and play) One of the best mods you can do. Increases OEM headlight output and takes the load (literally) off of your headlight switch. Then later you can get these and light up the world:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331624679148
I would like to change the headlights down the line to make them brighter, i havent had a problem with the ones on my jeep right now, but i wanna get some led pods to put on the front bumper at some point too.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by dlr92xj
My headliner is pretty wack right now. Theres no carpet on it so its just the foam padding stuff. i thought about taking it off and just having the metal be exposed but well see. Ive had an american flag on it to hide the ugly padding. Maybe ill replace it all, it definitely would look better.
You don't want to pull the headliner off and leave the metal exposed... it gets really loud without it. Re-covering the headliner is a very simple and inexpensive project that will go a long way to make your cab more comfortable and better looking.

Jhc's headlight harnesses are pretty much a requirement for your Jeep. You see, from the factory they did a crappy job with the headlight circuit. The harness fixes the issue and will give you brighter lights and a longer living headlight switch.

Both of these are easy peasy and inexpensive upgrades.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/cu...nterior-42774/

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/che...roblems-36112/

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f8...ds-list-20765/

Hopefully those links give you some ideas.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice
You don't want to pull the headliner off and leave the metal exposed... it gets really loud without it. Re-covering the headliner is a very simple and inexpensive project that will go a long way to make your cab more comfortable and better looking.

Jhc's headlight harnesses are pretty much a requirement for your Jeep. You see, from the factory they did a crappy job with the headlight circuit. The harness fixes the issue and will give you brighter lights and a longer living headlight switch.

Both of these are easy peasy and inexpensive upgrades.
Alrighty thank you. Ill change the headliner down the line, i don't care about it that much right now, its not bothering me too much. AS well as the headlights one i get some money ill take care of those. Thank you again!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:45 PM

Great links, thanks man!
Old 04-15-2017, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Adding a CB radio is a fun mod that can be done for less than $100. Can listen to truckers rollin down the highway and is great for wheelin. I also added a PA horn under the hood
Old 04-15-2017, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
Adding a CB radio is a fun mod that can be done for less than $100. Can listen to truckers rollin down the highway and is great for wheelin. I also added a PA horn under the hood
How much is a PA and where would i get one?
Old 04-16-2017, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

A cheap newer headunit is always a nice upgrade, some cheap speakers as well. Can get away for like $150 and easy to diy
Old 04-16-2017, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Upgrading to LEDs in your interior.

Check out oneway light. Cheap mod.