Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 03:14 AM

Location: Paradise actually. Also known as Central New Mexico @ 7 K feet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder
Default The front axle?

It's possible I got the wrong impression from a post about how to improve my traction in snow on steep terrain.

I'm thinking they are open. If that is so, why wouldn't you put the beefier set up under the motor instead of in the back?

Could front and back both be .... for example Detroit tru track if the gearing was the same in both? I know there is an aha waiting somewhere in my future where this subject is concerned.

Ron
Old 03-21-2017, 04:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes the gear ratio has to be the same in both axles but you can run any type of lsd or locker you like in either axle.But i would run a Detroit in the back and the front would be a slectable one like a air locker aka arb or ox which is a cable.The reason i say this a locker in the front can make turning harder in 4 wheel drive.And with the snow do you have snow rated tires or snow tires ?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:11 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

What he said^. The way the majority of XJs are set up is to have to open axles which makes drive-ability much more manageable for the average person. This also means that when in 4WD High (part-time) the transfer case sends power to each axle equally, so if you are really stuck only one tire on each axle will spin when under very slippery conditions. In 4WD high(full time, if so equipped) the transfer case acts as an open differential so in very slippery conditions the one tire that can spin will end up taking all the power. this is where throttle control comes in and also why people install lockers.

also in heavy snow try dropping your tire pressures down to about 20 PSI (just be mindful of this before you want to get on the HWY) I wouldn't go lower than that unless you are doing some serious crawling. as a result of lower pressure the wider tread pattern will grip more road and provide better traction. This is why people run beadlocks while rock crawling, so they can drop the tires into the sub 10psi range.

Also if your tires are older than 4 or 5 years chances are the rubber is too hard/dry to truly be effective in the cold.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:13 PM

Thank you I'm beginning to get the idea. The driveability issue why you would want something switchable. I'm still in Outback AWD mode I guess. Come to think of it, I Kioti tractor has a temporary lock pedal for syncing the front and rear axles. Same thing same reason. Thank you everyone for helping me thru part of the ignorance curve.

Ron
Old 03-21-2017, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ron45
Thank you I'm beginning to get the idea. The driveability issue why you would want something switchable. I'm still in Outback AWD mode I guess. Come to think of it, I Kioti tractor has a temporary lock pedal for syncing the front and rear axles. Same thing same reason. Thank you everyone for helping me thru part of the ignorance curve.

Ron
You get your tractor from a local dealership ron?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:51 PM

No, I got the Kioti compact BH/FEL 4WD 2 speed alxe, as part of a land deal. 30 HP more of less. It's quite adequate if you are not in a hurry. Certainly not up to commercial equipment. I love it.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

No, I got the Kioti compact BH/FEL 4WD 2 speed alxe, as part of a land deal. 30 HP more of less. It's quite adequate if you are not in a hurry. Certainly not up to commercial equipment. I love it.
How much land ya have? Need a roomie? lol
Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 AM

Hi Tacklebox, by southwestern standards it's a postage stamp. But it serves our purposes. I wanted a place from which I can only see trees and sky. We have to build the room before we could think about a roomie. We've just about filled the place with the world's biggest collection of clutter and dust bunnies.

Ron
Old 03-24-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

I wanted a place from which I can only see trees and sky.

Ron
Good for you! Love it out there. Spend a few weeks a year there in the Northern part of the state, between a cabin outside Red River and hunting around Questa and over near Tres Piedras. Maybe one day we will finally pull the trigger and move there permanently.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:08 PM

I've been thru tres piedras some and Questa. Did you ever get a chance to try Questa honey. There is nothing like it anywhere. The lady has since sold out or something. Can't find it lately. `Used to ski at Taos some. Have you seen my stinking vice grips. I can't find them everywhere?

spinning in circles on Bass Mesa

Ron
Old 03-25-2017, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Also look in to snow chains and if its gonna be off road i would run the vbar chains they bite better but you can't use them on road.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:54 PM

I keep some chains around but it's like admitting defeat..... for me and the jeep/tires.

Ron