The forbidden question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default The forbidden question...

What's a reasonable price to install a 4.5" RE lift kit, full leaf pack, shocks, swaybar discos? I just don't have the warm dry space to do it, and want it done! Try not to me down.
Oh, its a 1999 sport, 6cly, auto.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:12 PM

Year: 1992

i know this may sound dumb but it works great, I do it for my construction homes to heat em up. If you got a car port, go to your nearest hardware store pick up some Huskey vapor barrier or whatever brand you choose. wrap your car port up staple it/nail it up. put your vehicle in it and kick on a heater in there - 30min or so depending on how big - warms it up. its like a green house. heats right up and warms the area up. and creates a dry area.

I know it works its ive done it/have a house im working on right now thats got all the broken windows covered like that. It would def. save you some money of someone else installing it. just throwing an idea your way

And i have no idea of how much that would cost but a shop would hit you hard on installing that something like that. but hey you got the money makes it easy for you, to each his own right.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by mxjunkie80
What's a reasonable price to install a 4.5" RE lift kit, full leaf pack, shocks, swaybar discos? I just don't have the warm dry space to do it, and want it done! Try not to me down.
Oh, its a 1999 sport, 6cly, auto.
Most, online sites call for 5-6.5 hours to install a full lift system. Find out what the shops rate is and ask the shop how many hours they will charge for the install. You may want to figure a percentage for misc. small parts as there is usually some things that need to be replaced.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:41 PM

Engine: I6

id say $300 +, ive had to put all my lift kits on in the driveway, just got to make sure its not raining
Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM

Engine: 4.0L

A while back, my buddy got an 8" Skyjacker lift on his XJ. Cost of the lift plus labor ended up in the 5K range.

But here in the real world, I would guess $500 or so for the labor. But with unforseen parts and issues, it could go up a bit.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Svrider
i know this may sound dumb but it works great, I do it for my construction homes to heat em up. If you got a car port, go to your nearest hardware store pick up some Huskey vapor barrier or whatever brand you choose. wrap your car port up staple it/nail it up. put your vehicle in it and kick on a heater in there - 30min or so depending on how big - warms it up. its like a green house. heats right up and warms the area up. and creates a dry area.

I know it works its ive done it/have a house im working on right now thats got all the broken windows covered like that. It would def. save you some money of someone else installing it. just throwing an idea your way

And i have no idea of how much that would cost but a shop would hit you hard on installing that something like that. but hey you got the money makes it easy for you, to each his own right.
Not sure my home owners association would let me do that! lol
I've only checked with 1 shop so far, and they said $500. They also said it's that much because of how hard it is to get the rear springs off, "so we cut them off" he says. Well if you cut them off, how hard can that be? Confused me a bit...
Plus I just bought a AA SYE. If i have them put that on also, does my jeep have to wait in the shop for them to measure a new driveline and have it made?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:08 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Got mine done for $400 with a switch of rear ends also...Tj
Old 11-30-2010, 06:41 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

if you care nothing about getting to know the mechanics of your xj, get a shop to do it. otherwise, i'm sure you can find some people in the forum that live near you and pay them for their gas and a few beverages to help ya.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tural
if you care nothing about getting to know the mechanics of your xj, get a shop to do it. otherwise, i'm sure you can find some people in the forum that live near you and pay them for their gas and a few beverages to help ya.
I know this place that want's $500 to do it, and they do really good work. I just know I'll run into problems and don't want to take 2 weeks to do it, outside, in the rain and cold in the driveway of my row home....
Old 11-30-2010, 07:24 PM

You're in Oregon right?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by DPoffroad
You're in Oregon right?
Yup.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by mxjunkie80
I know this place that want's $500 to do it, and they do really good work. I just know I'll run into problems and don't want to take 2 weeks to do it, outside, in the rain and cold in the driveway of my row home....
that's ridiculous. for an extra 500 you could get an acetylene torch, a mig welder, a grinding wheel and a sawzall and just cut out the old stuff fast.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Well hell I'll have room to do it in about a weeks time, I'm currently cleaning half the crap out of my shop, plus I have an excavator taking up a big part of it right now. But it's heated and has concrete floors! Would be happy to help out any fellow jeepers
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

$500 is a very resonable price for installing a small lift on an XJ, especially when you consider that many shops charge at a minimum of 85 per hour.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by DPoffroad
Well hell I'll have room to do it in about a weeks time, I'm currently cleaning half the crap out of my shop, plus I have an excavator taking up a big part of it right now. But it's heated and has concrete floors! Would be happy to help out any fellow jeepers
Very cool of you to offer man! Probably won't take ya up on it though. I just have a hard time taking others help. And don't mind taking it to a place where I can take it back if things are not right and ***** about it.

Quick Reply: The forbidden question...